Can I split the audio coming from Playstation?

L

lithnights

Audioholic
I want to configure my Playstation 2 into my A/V setup.

Video is not a problem.
Audio... I want to take the audio out from the PS2 and have the sound go not only into my receiver but also my TV. That way I can play and listen to surround sound when I want, but also, my nephew can come over and just play his games by just turning on the TV, without having to deal with the Receiver

Can I "split" the red/white RCA cables into 2 sets and run one set to my TV inputs, and the other set to my Receiver inputs?

If not, how would I be able to get the PS2 sound into both TV and Receiver?

Thanks!

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Do it this way:

Optical output to receiver. This will enable you to enjoy games in 5.1. This is how I have the PS2 set up with my 1015Tx and it sounds great.

Analog out to TV (standard red and white).

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That's the best way to do it, and that's how I have mine too.

L

lithnights

Audioholic
jaxvon said:
Do it this way:

Optical output to receiver. This will enable you to enjoy games in 5.1. This is how I have the PS2 set up with my 1015Tx and it sounds great.

Analog out to TV (standard red and white).
Oh.. so the PS2 (I don't actually have it yet) box has an optical out AND RCA outs? I didn't know that.

Based on knowing that, I will configure just as you say.

Thanks!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yep. I have both the former and the current Slim one and each of them have both connections. Configuring the digital audio out can be a little tricky though....you have to actually put a DVD in before some of the configuration options are available.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
lithnights said:
Oh.. so the PS2 (I don't actually have it yet) box has an optical out AND RCA outs? I didn't know that.

Based on knowing that, I will configure just as you say.

Thanks!
Just be aware that the video output comes out with the stereo analog audio through the proprietary connector. The optical is a separate jack. Also, if you have a good enough TV (Hi-Def), make sure to get a component video connection for your PS2 so you can take advantage of the high quality video it offers.

L

lithnights

Audioholic
j_garcia said:
Yep. I have both the former and the current Slim one and each of them have both connections. Configuring the digital audio out can be a little tricky though....you have to actually put a DVD in before some of the configuration options are available.
Good to know. I will be sure that there is a DVD in there before configuring it..

L

lithnights

Audioholic
jaxvon said:
Just be aware that the video output comes out with the stereo analog audio through the proprietary connector. The optical is a separate jack. Also, if you have a good enough TV (Hi-Def), make sure to get a component video connection for your PS2 so you can take advantage of the high quality video it offers.
I'll find the optical jack. And no, no high def for me yet, so I'll just stick to the S cable in lieu of component.. With that said, I'm assuming the PS2 has an S output right? I guess I should have gotten my PS2 before asking all these questions huh!? lesson learned..

Thanks again.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis