Can I reduce port noise here?

T

tdamocles

Junior Audioholic
I have a 12" HTD sub which at loud movie passages the ports produce a lot of chuffing. I can say that at this particular time I can feel the air pushing out from 4 feet away. I have noticed that the ports(2 of them) have a mesh like screen glued to the inside back part of the ports. Is the mesh there to slow air down or is this causing the excessive chuffing?

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
The excessive chuffing will occur from the air rushing in and out.

A couple things you can do (1 being much easier then the other) is.

1.) Remove the driver or amp and add some polyfill to the enclosure. This is slow the air before it reaches the port. It will also help with cabinet resonace, but reduce the output.

2.) Buy new ports with larger flares on each end (mostly not possible).

Another thing you could try is stuffing the port with some polyfill, but depending on the amount of air going in and out, it may get pushed out.

SheepStar

T

tdamocles

Junior Audioholic
Is it possible that the mesh screen is causing the sound?

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
tdamocles said:
Is it possible that the mesh screen is causing the sound?
I doubt it. I've had ported subwoofes that didn't have those that still farted.

SheepStar

Wid

Wid

Audioholic
You should also make sure the sub is calibrated with the rest of the system. It is possible you did not buy a large enough sub for the size of the room you have.

B

brendy

Audioholic
Sounds like your sub is turned up to much.Port noise is usually caused by to much volume or poor design.

Last edited by a moderator:
hemiram

hemiram

Full Audioholic
I have a cheap Sony 12" powered sub in my room, and never really heard much out of it except the slightly boomy bass it usually did, until I got my new DVD player, and fired the audio into it by an optical cable. The first movie I put in was SW EIII, and in the opening scenes, it was huffing and puffing at even moderate levels and anything over that, it made some very scary noises as the ships rumbled by. Seems like I hear it (port noise) a lot now. But for 100 bucks, it's not that bad.. I tried the polyfoam deal and it helped, but only slightly.

My last sub was a homebuilt (by a friend who was amazing with wood) unpowered 15" sealed box (BIG) that I ran with an old bridged to mono McIntosh amp (500 Watts, that thing was impressive) I found at a garage sale for only 55 bucks! It was amazingly solid and "tight", but after ten years of use, a basement flood killed both the sub and the amp one night. I really miss it. I bought the Sony at BB's for my PC, and for now, it will have to do the job on HT as well. Sadly, my friend passed away a few years ago suddenly, or I would have bugged him into making me another box by now.

I just ordered a pair of speakers from SVS and I might try one of the smaller subs from them next..in a 12x12 room, it should be enough.

annunaki

annunaki

Sheep said:
The excessive chuffing will occur from the air rushing in and out.

A couple things you can do (1 being much easier then the other) is.

1.) Remove the driver or amp and add some polyfill to the enclosure. This is slow the air before it reaches the port. It will also help with cabinet resonace, but reduce the output.

2.) Buy new ports with larger flares on each end (mostly not possible).

Another thing you could try is stuffing the port with some polyfill, but depending on the amount of air going in and out, it may get pushed out.

SheepStar
Stuffing the ports will cause the system to act like a sealed enclosure. This could potentially cause even more problems, as well as lower the output. New ports with flares would be the best option if doing a mechanical upgrade. Depending upon the subwoofer, and it's port placement, this may or may not be possible.

The screening inside a port DOES restrict airflow. If it is a well designed subwoofer this would be taken into account. It seems to sound as though this may not be the case.

I would calibrate the system properly first and foremost. If a sub is running way too hot and pushing it's limits, that could definitely be the cause. The other problem may be that the sub is just too small for the room, and to compensate it's level is way too high.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
It sounds like a placement issue

tdamocles said:
I have a 12" HTD sub which at loud movie passages the ports produce a lot of chuffing. I can say that at this particular time I can feel the air pushing out from 4 feet away. I have noticed that the ports(2 of them) have a mesh like screen glued to the inside back part of the ports. Is the mesh there to slow air down or is this causing the excessive chuffing?

I have a PSB subsonic 5; a 10" dual ported sub and I ran into chuffing problems as well. So I played with sub location and found the sweet spot in the room. I had to turn the sub gain way down and it still rattled the walls. Try playing with room location before doing anything else.

T

tdamocles

Junior Audioholic
The ports were flared on both ends but the inside part had a screen glued to it. I removed it and now I hear no chuffing on loud passages.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis