can i convert rca audio to STB input on soundbar

B

budguytill

Audiophyte
my toslink audio output on my older Sharp 47" lcd apparently doesnt work. only other way to connect to my sound bar is an input that says STB. the only other ouput i see on the tv is the rca outputs. anyway of connecting the rca outputs to the stb input on the soundbar????

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
my toslink audio output on my older Sharp 47" lcd apparently doesnt work. only other way to connect to my sound bar is an input that says STB. the only other ouput i see on the tv is the rca outputs. anyway of connecting the rca outputs to the stb input on the soundbar????
STB stands for set top box. So I presume that those are analog line inputs and should work for you from those RCA outputs on the TV. There is one caveat. The RCA will be two channel stereo.
If the sound bar has right, left center and pseudo surround, then you will only get right and left audio from the sound bar. So consult the manual of your sound bar.

L

Latent

Full Audioholic
STB may be just the input name but the connector may be an orange digital spdif coax input which is not compatible with analog RCA. Double check there is no analog input hidden somewhere. They often use small 3.5mm round input holes and not full RCA inputs in which case you can use a 3.5mm->2xRCA cable which are very common and you may already have an old one somewhere to use.

If there is NO analog inputs then you can get an Analog to Digital converter box. Most of these boxes convert the other way around from digital input to analog output but it should be possible to get the one you want.

http://www.amazon.com/SANOXY-Analog-Digital-Converter-Adapter/dp/B005F20756/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1454460947&sr=1-4&keywords=Analog+to+Digital+Audio+Converter

Note that once you have this sort of adapter you can either use the old optical input you were using or the coax digital one with a short RCA->RCA cable.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis