Can I add a fan to my receiver?

P

pefat

Audiophyte
Thanks to all of you guys, I disconnected the resistors but know I want to understand how much the non equivalence in the impedance will effect on clarity of the sound when the amp is 6 ohm and the speakers are 4 ohm?

D

Dan Banquer

Full Audioholic
Adding a Fan

Adding a fan to cool the heatsinks of the receiver will do no harm, and may well add to the life span of the unit. I think myself and Buckeye Fan convered this in another thread a few months ago.
d.b.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
pefat said:
Thanks to all of you guys, I disconnected the resistors but know I want to understand how much the non equivalence in the impedance will effect on clarity of the sound when the amp is 6 ohm and the speakers are 4 ohm?

Not a problem until you drive the amp beyond its design limits where it starts to clip and distort drastically. How loud do you play it? How sensitive is that speaker? We already know it is 4 ohms :D

P

pefat

Audiophyte
mtrycrafts said:
Not a problem until you drive the amp beyond its design limits where it starts to clip and distort drastically. How loud do you play it? How sensitive is that speaker? We already know it is 4 ohms :D
I don’t play very loud and the sound is not distorted.
How do you check sensitivity? My speakers are spl monitors spl2000 (there are very good speakers from the 80's) from api (audio products international) and there new products are ENERGY and MIRAGE.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
pefat said:
I don’t play very loud and the sound is not distorted.
How do you check sensitivity? My speakers are spl monitors spl2000 (there are very good speakers from the 80's) from api (audio products international) and there new products are ENERGY and MIRAGE.

The easiest is the manufecturer's specks, stated as dB spl with 1 watts of power, or 2.83V or 2V if it is a 4 ohm speaker, although 2.83 can be used too.

The way you would test it is with pink noise into it, a voltmeter measuring 2.83V AC at the speakers and the spl meter at 1 meter in front :D

P

pefat

Audiophyte
mtrycrafts said:
The easiest is the manufecturer's specks, stated as dB spl with 1 watts of power, or 2.83V or 2V if it is a 4 ohm speaker, although 2.83 can be used too.

The way you would test it is with pink noise into it, a voltmeter measuring 2.83V AC at the speakers and the spl meter at 1 meter in front :D
It is 95db 2.83V/1Meter of power.
Response: smooth ,ultra ,digital ready
System: bass reflex ,computer tuned
Passive radiator tuning: 45Hz
Crossover frequency: 2200Hz/2 way
Frequency response: 35Hz-22kHz
Spl T-1 tweeter: ferrofluid ,high gauss

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
pefat said:
It is 95db 2.83V/1Meter of power.
Response: smooth ,ultra ,digital ready
System: bass reflex ,computer tuned
Passive radiator tuning: 45Hz
Crossover frequency: 2200Hz/2 way
Frequency response: 35Hz-22kHz
Spl T-1 tweeter: ferrofluid ,high gauss
That sensitivity is right up there with Klipsch. You should be able to run those off a clock radio. ;) (meaning any reasonable receiver should drive them without a problem)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis