Can I add a fan to my receiver?

P

pefat

Audiophyte
I have a marantz 4500 receiver and the problem is it gets too hot because it is designed for 6 ohm speakers and my front speakers are 4 ohm so I added 2 ohm registers to each of the front speaker and it helped a little but now I am wondering if I can add 80 mm fan on top of the receiver.
Will the magnetic field of the receiver will effect the sound ?
Is it true that the more the receiver is hot it effects the sound clarity?

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Yep, a fan will be no problem. A lot of people here have done that to keep their units cool.

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
shouldn't be a problem at all, its done very often

P

pefat

Audiophyte
Thanks for your quick reply and I have another question

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
yeah to an extent, its going to run warm no matter what, but the cooler it stays the better it is

P

pefat

Audiophyte
I heard that clarity of the sound depending the hotness of the amplifier depends on the amplifiers class because some classes sound clearer when the amplifier is hot while others sound clearer when cold.
How can I determine the class of my marantz sr4500?

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
pefat said:
I heard that clarity of the sound depending the hotness of the amplifier depends on the amplifiers class because some classes sound clearer when the amplifier is hot while others sound clearer when cold.
How can I determine the class of my marantz sr4500?
I've never heard that so I'm curious as to the answer this one gets

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I think he's asking about Amp class (A, B, D, etc). Your Marantz is a Class A/B. It will sound best when it's somewhat warm. However, running super toasty will reduce its lifespan and cause you to lose headroom. If it's running HOT, then get a fan on that thing.

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
jaxvon said:
I think he's asking about Amp class (A, B, D, etc). Your Marantz is a Class A/B. It will sound best when it's somewhat warm. However, running super toasty will reduce its lifespan and cause you to lose headroom. If it's running HOT, then get a fan on that thing.
correct, except for the headroom thing. Where do you get that? It all depends on the design, the components and the load. Just like an engine they run best right before they blow up.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
The headroom thing was referring to the effciency of the power supply going down as the temperature increases. I don't know if this applies to audio stuff, but I assumed it does based on my experience with computer power supplies. Basically, as the temperature inside the case rises, the power supply is able to transform less electricity, thereby lowering the output and giving you less juice to work with in the output stage.

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
jaxvon said:
The headroom thing was referring to the effciency of the power supply going down as the temperature increases. I don't know if this applies to audio stuff, but I assumed it does based on my experience with computer power supplies. Basically, as the temperature inside the case rises, the power supply is able to transform less electricity, thereby lowering the output and giving you less juice to work with in the output stage.

It all depends on the design of the circuit. Some units are made to run hot (mostly high end class A). Some run better hot, most class AB, because the values change and current output is increased. Computer ps are switching units. They aren't used in audio (save class d and other junk amps).

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
pefat said:
I have a marantz 4500 receiver and the problem is it gets too hot because it is designed for 6 ohm speakers and my front speakers are 4 ohm so I added 2 ohm registers to each of the front speaker and it helped a little but now I am wondering if I can add 80 mm fan on top of the receiver.
Will the magnetic field of the receiver will effect the sound ?

Fistly, before anything, remove those resistors, they affect the frequency response, like having a tube amp with a high output impedance, and affects damping.
Then, yes, adding a fan is not a problem, if it is quiet ;)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

pefat said:

No, it is not true. Many more myths in audio ;)

P

pefat

Audiophyte
About the register

I thought the register wont take any effect on the sound because I got a good one: just 1% ,25w .
I used two registers of 1 ohm and I connected them serial.
I also tested it on a queen song and I did not find any difference, I want to know what is damping.

HookedOnSound

HookedOnSound

Full Audioholic
If you are looking for a fan, try this one here

It's a 120mm dc fan, I bought one because my HK receiver in my Ent. Unit runs pretty hot with the front glass doors closed. It runs very quiet and it moves quite a bit of air, delivery was also quick.

Good Luck.

C

claudermilk

Full Audioholic
That's a nice fan & a pretty good price. I have something similar I got from Radio Shack that's just above the back of my 5400. Keeps it nice & cool. With the AC adapter, you should be able to plug into the switched AC on the receiver (does the 4x00 have one? I don't remember)..

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
mtrycrafts said:
Fistly, before anything, remove those resistors, they affect the frequency response, like having a tube amp with a high output impedance, and affects damping.
Then, yes, adding a fan is not a problem, if it is quiet ;)
Can you please explain to everyone how having resistors connected can affect the frequency response?

P

pefat

Audiophyte
Yes and please explain to us what is damping.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

MacManNM said:
Can you please explain to everyone how having resistors connected can affect the frequency response?

Output impedance equivalency, don't you know? Like an output transformer. Or, like when Carver adds a resistor to the output to make it sound like a tube amp, altered frequency response.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis