Can anyone translate Science to English please?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Just to show I've been paying attention - the subject matter is something about improving (new?) solar cells using (different/new) materials/film?

If Nucleation is progressive - is this good or bad?

I'm lost here. Never took chemistry lesson in my life - All chemistry I know is H2O and C2H6O ;)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Hmm....

It's kind of tough to answer your questions simply from the abstract of the paper. But, here's what I take from it:

*Basically they are saying "we have a method of creating the CdTe film that nobody has documented before. It might just prove to be cheaper and more efficient than the current tech."

*They go on to say that they studied the nature of this technique with CVS (Cyclic Voltametric Stripping). They would apply a scanning voltage (with upper and lower voltages selected according to the reduction potential of each species) to a solution of Cd or Te. While you apply the scan-voltage, you monitor the current. When current flows you are oxidizing or reducing the Cd/Te (plate/strip process, thus cyclic voltammetry). For what it's worth.....I'm a CVS expert ;)

*I'm not 100% sure on the "progressive nucleation". That's the part where reading the entire paper would help. What I *think* they are saying is that the nucleation doesn't simply stop as a mono-layer. Regardless, using the context of the article, I am led to believe that "progressive nucleation" is desirable in this process.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
When at a loss, see what Wikipedia says:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nucleation

"Nucleation is the first step in the formation of either a new thermodynamic phase or a new structure via self-assembly or self-organization. Nucleation is typically defined to be the process that determines how long an observer has to wait before the new phase or self-organised structure appears. Nucleation is often found to be very sensitive to impurities in the system. Because of this, it is often important to distinguish between heterogenous nucleation and homogeneous nucleation. Heterogeneous nucleation occurs at nucleation sites on surfaces in the system. Homogenous nucleation occurs away from a surface."

Usually, in scientific paper, the abstract is a very brief summary of what's new in the paper. If you want to understand more of the background, and why the researchers were interested, read the introduction section of the paper. If that doesn't help, then you'll have to look up the basics in a text book, or web site like Wikipedia.

Soccerkid830

Soccerkid830

Full Audioholic
Hmm....

*I'm not 100% sure on the "progressive nucleation". That's the part where reading the entire paper would help. What I *think* they are saying is that the nucleation doesn't simply stop as a mono-layer. Regardless, using the context of the article, I am led to believe that "progressive nucleation" is desirable in this process.
Bingo. Progressive nucleation is three dimensional growth as opposed to two dimensional.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
There's a problem with the pipe dream of living off the grid.
The powers that be won't let us. If there's a grid available you must be connected.
http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/icod/ipmc/2012/
(Likewise with water and sewer)
Sure we can run LED lights from photovoltaic, good luck trying to run an HVAC unit.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Hey, don't f up my thread. There was a specific question regarding research one of my extended family member does. Not politics of alternative power sources

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Hey, don't f up my thread. There was a specific question regarding research one of my extended family member does. Not politics of alternative power sources
Wait, you didn't tell us that you have family involved in the research!

Were they involved in the paper that we are discussing? What school or company are they involved with?

And....why didn't you just ask them these questions?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I wanted to know more, before asking dumb questions. Like I said extended family, like one i barely ever speak with.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I wanted to know more, before asking dumb questions. Like I said extended family, like one i barely ever speak with.
The old "I'm not a scientist, but I did spend the night at Holiday Inn Express" approach :D

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Well, I'm always interested in new research work.

Like I mentioned previously, I'm a CVS expert. Surprisingly, electro-chemistry is a relatively small field. Getting a BS degree with the amount of CVS experience I have is rare.

I also work in the semicon industry. Semicon processing is VERY similar to Photo-voltaic cell processing.

In college as an undergrad, I did work with a research group studying the reaction mechanism of Li-Ion Battery, a relatively new technology back then (ion insertion/extraction with CVS and coupled to a Quartz-Crystal Microbalance). We were able to monitor the electron transfer (ie current) vs. voltage, while simultaneously measuring the mass transfer.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks everyone for your explanations and help so far.
I'll try to post full research after she presents it in big gather up in spain

Soccerkid830

Soccerkid830

Full Audioholic
Well, I'm always interested in new research work.

Like I mentioned previously, I'm a CVS expert. Surprisingly, electro-chemistry is a relatively small field. Getting a BS degree with the amount of CVS experience I have is rare.

I also work in the semicon industry. Semicon processing is VERY similar to Photo-voltaic cell processing.

In college as an undergrad, I did work with a research group studying the reaction mechanism of Li-Ion Battery, a relatively new technology back then (ion insertion/extraction with CVS and coupled to a Quartz-Crystal Microbalance). We were able to monitor the electron transfer (ie current) vs. voltage, while simultaneously measuring the mass transfer.
Can I ask where you work?

I work at Dow Corning [which owns the majority share of HSC (Hemlock SemiConductor)] and I've done a little work with CVD (Chemical Vapor Deposition), not to be confused with CVS. Look/typed similarly, but one is a application technique and the other is an analytical technique (obviously very different things.)

I'm not about to dive into the inerds of the science, but it's pretty amazing stuff. Similar, yet different, processes are used for both the semi-conductors and solar panel wafers. You can probably find information online fairly easily if someone is interested.

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Can I ask where you work?

I work at Dow Corning [which owns the majority share of HSC (Hemlock SemiConductor)] and I've done a little work with CVD (Chemical Vapor Deposition), not to be confused with CVS. Look/typed similarly, but one is a application technique and the other is an analytical technique (obviously very different things.)

I'm not about to dive into the inerds of the science, but it's pretty amazing stuff. Similar, yet different, processes are used for both the semi-conductors and solar panel wafers. You can probably find information online fairly easily if someone is interested.
PM sent.

Yeah, one of our techniques for processing samples is VPD = Vapor Phase Decomposition......kind of the opposite of CVD.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis