Can 12 AWG speaker wire coexist with RG6

GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
Depending on the size of the conduit pipes coming down my block walls I'm thinking of running my 12 AWG speaker wire and my RCA subwoofer cable together inside them. The exisiting conduit already contains my cable tv wiring which is RG-6 coax. Hopefully I can either find a plate with multiple connectors or just make my own.

Would this be a bad idea? Would I get any cross interference or is the RG-6 shielded enough?

Otherwise I will have to poke a hole in the corner of the ceiling and use wire molding to come down the wall in the corner which would not be as asthetic looking in my opinion.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Depending on the size of the conduit pipes coming down my block walls I'm thinking of running my 12 AWG speaker wire and my RCA subwoofer cable together inside them. The exisiting conduit already contains my cable tv wiring which is RG-6 coax. Hopefully I can either find a plate with multiple connectors or just make my own.

Would this be a bad idea? Would I get any cross interference or is the RG-6 shielded enough?

Otherwise I will have to poke a hole in the corner of the ceiling and use wire molding to come down the wall in the corner which would not be as asthetic looking in my opinion.

You will be fine though I recommend using 14/4 speaker cable instead.

GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
Thanks.
I have a run of about 58' to do in order to even get to the rear surrounds and they are going to be about 12' apart. Can I split the 14/4 cable to do that?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
You can split 14/4 easy enough if you have two speaker locations to hit off the single 14/4 run. Just loop the wire at the first location, then run it to the next location.

You can put together wall plates on your own quite easily if you want to. Decora type wall plates with keystone jacks of your own choosing. Quick and easy and reliable.

GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
Thanks guys.

I'm hoping that my conduit is 3/4" and not 1/2" as I think it's going to be a tight fit.

I had already ordered two 100' spools of 12 AWG since I have to go through the ceiling to get to my zone 2 outdoor speakers also. That's about a 50'+ run as well. So you think I could get away with using the 14/4 for that too?

Damn. Now I wish I would have thought to ask of all this earlier.

I'll have to go look at my choices of switch plates down here. Never really thought about those before.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Check the conduit size.
Seems like a waste of pipe if it's only 1/2" or 3/4".
With no thoughts for future expansion, they probably didn't leave you a pull string either.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis