Cambridge 840C - Outstanding Value

S

serenity737

Audioholic Intern
It seem unusual to assert a CD player at this cost point ought to be considered an "outstanding value." In my younger years before my present career path I worked as a professional live performance sound engineer. Basically the guy in the back mixing sound for the show. I have a fair knowledge of acoustic theory, engineering, and high performance audio and sound reinforcement equipment where price point was not a consideration. I can say in my experience the Cambridge 840C is an outstanding value.

I have never added a piece of equipment to my system which instantly made so much difference with regard to sound quality. The sound of the Cambridge 840C (and my unit is still in the break-in phase) is clear, transparent and neutral. The soundstage (the placement of the sound image in space) is outstanding. Each instrument stands out clearly. The detail of the sound and the timber/tonal qualities - especially in the upper range (cimbals, etc) are outstanding. Finally, and to me this is most important, this player has the best musicality I have ever come across. The sound flows so effortlessly, so freely that it draws you in to the point where you want to revisit CDs you may not have played for quite some time so you can discover and explore the way they sound anew. Easy, very easy to listen to this player for hours and hours on end with any sense of fatigue.

If you have a descent system with a quality amp - receiver, quality speakers then this is the CD player for you. As many of the review articles have noted this player is amoung the best out there in the audiophile world and you would have to spend $5,000 or more to match much less improve upon the quality of sound you get from this unit.

Mike

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Yet another cool story.

I'm smelling... *sniff sniff*... troll.

S

serenity737

Audioholic Intern
Nope ... not a troll ... just wanting to share my excitement about my new player. I'm a professor - rehab neuropsychologist now. Many moons past the mixing and sound reinforcement I back in the mid to late 70s.

Best,

Mike

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Nope ... not a troll ... just wanting to share my excitement about my new player. I'm a professor - rehab neuropsychologist now. Many moons past the mixing and sound reinforcement I back in the mid to late 70s.

Best,

Mike
You don't have to overreact.:rolleyes:

:D

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
How do you reconcile your admittedly fair knowledge of engineering with your statement of break in?

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Mike,

Congrats on the new addition! Nothing feels as good as adding much wanted/ needed/ upgraditis assuaging gear to the system.

It was not immediately clear if you were using the digital or analog outs on the 840C. What material are you using to elisit the subjective evaluation? What other gear are you using? Which other CD players have you used previous to this one?

It is interesting that there are pro audio proponents on this site who would say that when it comes to most consumer audio equipment, the segment is nothing but extra cost for a name and a pretty faceplate. With your background in pro audio, what is your take on this thought? For example, how would this Yamaha P3500 pro amp compare with this Anthem Statememt P2 audiophile stereo amp?

Cheers...
Rohit

S

sharkman

Full Audioholic
Wow, now I know why there are so few reviews...:D

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Wow, now I know why there are so few reviews...:D
:rolleyes:

No need to feel personally offended, this is a public forum without prejudice. We bash ALL subjectivists with equal aplomb.

To help you understand what a good review should be like and the kind of discussion it generates, see this thread.

S

sharkman

Full Audioholic
What specifically in my post led you to believe I was personally offended? Your assumption is wrong, I was not offended. Perhaps I should use a bigger smiley face next time.:D

S

serenity737

Audioholic Intern
Folks,

Of course my review was subjective and my impressions of the player may change over time. I'm comfortable with that.

I am convinced there is such a thing as "burn-in" effect. The question is whether this would be due to changes in the electronics or whether this represents a psycholological phenonmenon. I have my doubt, these days with current technology, "burn-in" represents a real shift in functional qualities of the electronics. Rather, the perception of this kind of change may be due to way we become habituated to stimuli as they become familiar and novelty - a new perception we orient and attend to automatically(involving the P100 response). This may offer one possible explanation of the way we come to believe we can listen to source material and find new qualities in up to a certain point in time when we have fully habituated to it ... "burn in."

My impression is the quality of the upconversion and the D/A converters in the Cambridge as compared with my Denon 3808CI may be what is making the difference in the quality of the sound. Of course, to provide some evidence for this I would want to compared lab measurements between these D/A converters and submit them to a well-designed double blind placebo controlled test with counterbalanced design and randomized assignment. Not necessarily the easiest kind of test to put together or organize.

Best,

Mike

S

sharkman

Full Audioholic
Folks,

Of course my review was subjective and my impressions of the player may change over time. I'm comfortable with that.

I am convinced there is such a thing as "burn-in" effect. The question is whether this would be due to changes in the electronics or whether this represents a psycholological phenonmenon. I have my doubt, these days with current technology, "burn-in" represents a real shift in functional qualities of the electronics. Rather, the perception of this kind of change may be due to way we become habituated to stimuli as they become familiar and novelty - a new perception we orient and attend to automatically(involving the P100 response). This may offer one possible explanation of the way we come to believe we can listen to source material and find new qualities in up to a certain point in time when we have fully habituated to it ... "burn in."

My impression is the quality of the upconversion and the D/A converters in the Cambridge as compared with my Denon 3808CI may be what is making the difference in the quality of the sound. Of course, to provide some evidence for this I would want to compared lab measurements between these D/A converters and submit them to a well-designed double blind placebo controlled test with counterbalanced design and randomized assignment. Not necessarily the easiest kind of test to put together or organize.

Best,

Mike
From what I've read, the better DACs have S/N ratios over 120. I believe Wolfson makes some of the better ones. I can't immediately find what variety Cambridge uses but I wouldn't be surprised if they have them built to spec.

S

serenity737

Audioholic Intern
This is from the Cambridge website with regard to the 840C:

The 840C embraces a raft of proprietary technologies including ATF™
(Adaptive Time Filtering) asynchronous up-sampling technology which has
been developed in conjunction with Anagram Technologies of Switzerland.
This system intelligently interpolates 16-bit/44.1kHz CD data to 24-bit/384
kHz data, through the use of a 32-bit Analog Devices Black Fin DSP
(digital signal processor). This in turn feeds two 24-bit/384kHz DACs from
the same company in dual differential formation. Each DAC handles just
one channel for excellent stereo imaging, operating fully in differential
mode for exceptionally low distortion and noise.

A pdf of a white paper is available on the website describing the thinking behind design of the electronics - software - signal processing used in the 840C.

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/assets/documents/840Cwhitepaperwebedit.pdf The Denon 3808CI, my receiver uses a 24-bit/192khz Burr-Brown PCM-1804 digital to analogue converter. Best, Mike

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis