Calling all Wi-Fi gurus - "bridge" mode question

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi all,

I don't know all the correct semantics, so I'll just spell out what I'd like to do. I'm asking if it's possible.

Right now, I use a Wi-Fi router (Linksys EA3500) connected to my DSL modem. I have a Belkin Universal 4 Port HDTV Wireless Link (that's a mouthful) in my living room that connects to Wi-Fi from the Linksys and lets me plug four components in using Ethernet.

That works great, but I want to step up to 802.11AC. I have a TP-LINK Archer C5 and Archer C9 (the C9 should arrive tomorrow) that I'd like to set up the same way, using the C9 as my Wi-Fi router and the C5 as the receiver in the living room.

Question - is "bridge" mode what I should be using on the C5? If not, is what I want to do possible but called something different? I'm asking because I swear that I spent hours sometime in the past with an older TP-LINK router and never got bridge mode to work, but I certainly may have just done it wrong. The menu on that router wasn't very user friendly.

Thanks!

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Have you tried, integration between the 3G PP and Wi Fi RAN networks?
S2a/S2b/S2c based architectures can support both Home Routed (the PGW is located in the HPLMN) and Local Break Out (LBO: the PGW
is located in the VPLMN) with the latter being required to support VoIMS services.

If that doesn't doesn't work... have no idea.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
S2a/S2b/S2c based architectures can support both Home Routed (the PGW is located in the HPLMN) and Local Break Out (LBO: the PGW
is located in the VPLMN) with the latter being required to support VoIMS services.

Thanks, Rick! Unfortunately, I pretty much only understood your last sentence. :confused: :D

I'm just wondering if I can set up a Wi-Fi router to be a receiver (perhaps called a "client"?). From what I've read, I think setting it up as a bridge will work, but I wanted to ask first.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks, Rick! Unfortunately, I pretty much only understood your last sentence. :confused: :D

I'm just wondering if I can set up a Wi-Fi router to be a receiver (perhaps called a "client"?). From what I've read, I think setting it up as a bridge will work, but I wanted to ask first.

That was the only part I understood also.:D
I finished my work early and couldn't resist messing around.
Kidding aside, does this look like what you want to do? http://classroom.synonym.com/make-wireless-router-wifi-adapter-9202.html

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord

I swear I have no idea what is his talking about. Probably just random words :)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Yep, that's it. I may not need any third-party firmware. The TP-LINK menu has a check box for "Bridge" mode, which I think is what I need. Just wanted some verification of that before I spent time traveling down the rabbit hole...again.
Yea, ddwrt or openwrt are probably your best bet for bridge functionality with tplinks. Small chance is if latest original firmware makes it easier .

Do keep in mind that AC only works on 5ghz, which is great for ultra fast in same room, but 2.4 does better through walls..

I just bought recently asus rt-ac66r to use as wifi repeater. It's provides wired link if needed. The great part it's functionality comes with original firmware and not 3rd party one

Last edited:
RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
I am not sure what TP-link means by bridge, but I use a router for FIOS (no wifi) and configure the ASUS WIFI router as a wireless access point. This way it stays on the same subnet and doesn't try to dole out ip addresses.

This is the least disruptive installation. If that is what to-link calls a bridge that is your best bet.

- Rich

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I am not sure what TP-link means by bridge, but I use a router for FIOS (no wifi) and configure the ASUS WIFI router as a wireless access point. This way it stays on the same subnet and doesn't try to dole out ip addresses.

This is the least disruptive installation. If that is what to-link calls a bridge that is your best bet.

- Rich
Here's what WiFi bridge is all about - what you have a secondary AP - which requires wired connection, something adam is trying to avoid.
http://lifehacker.com/368094/wire-your-living-room-over-wi-fi-with-a-bridge.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Ok BSA, I'm hijacking Adam's thread for my own uses and need your help. I got my verizon quantum router modem and everything is working properly. Now I know you had said my Asus would be better than the supplied Verizon one. Is the Asus a huge step up over the quantum and if it is, how to get that set up? I tried googling a bit, but came away more confused and worried I was going to muck it up.

@BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Ok BSA, I'm hijacking Adam's thread for my own uses and need your help. I got my verizon quantum router modem and everything is working properly. Now I know you had said my Asus would be better than the supplied Verizon one. Is the Asus a huge step up over the quantum and if it is, how to get that set up? I tried googling a bit, but came away more confused and worried I was going to muck it up.
@BoredSysAdmin
I have Optimum online, not FIOS so I don't know much about FIOS network equipment other the fact I heard it has WiFi and it's a Gig router.
I wont call it a huge step up, but there some nice benefit I mentioned before here.

How to set it up depends on what are you trying to achieve - better wifi or VPN tunnel and stuff. In ether case you WON'T be replacing the Fios stuff, but disabling some of it's functions. In simplest form it's now works as all in one: modem, router, wifi access point. You need to disable the later two and just keep the modem part.

I found few good articles with top one is most relevant to you i believe:
http://myblog4fun.com/archive/2013/01/08/upgrading-fios-to-asus-rt-n66r-dual-band-wireless-n900-gigabit-router.aspx

http://jmikola.net/blog/fios-actiontec/

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I suppose that I can stop watching this thread now that it's been threadjacked...

:D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Well it looks like the biggest issue I'm going to run into is that I can't hardwire into the router. I guess I'll need a USB to ethernet adapter before I can switch back to the Asus.

I have Optimum online, not FIOS so I don't know much about FIOS network equipment other the fact I heard it has WiFi and it's a Gig router.
I wont call it a huge step up, but there some nice benefit I mentioned before here.

How to set it up depends on what are you trying to achieve - better wifi or VPN tunnel and stuff. In ether case you WON'T be replacing the Fios stuff, but disabling some of it's functions. In simplest form it's now works as all in one: modem, router, wifi access point. You need to disable the later two and just keep the modem part.

I found few good articles with top one is most relevant to you i believe:
http://myblog4fun.com/archive/2013/01/08/upgrading-fios-to-asus-rt-n66r-dual-band-wireless-n900-gigabit-router.aspx

http://jmikola.net/blog/fios-actiontec/

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Well it looks like the biggest issue I'm going to run into is that I can't hardwire into the router. I guess I'll need a USB to ethernet adapter before I can switch back to the Asus.
Huh? Which Asus do you have?

Btw, if the Verizon one is working, why mess with it? I added on a Wi-Fi access point to my DSL model/router/AP because I wanted either better range or the DSL one doesn't do 802.11n...it's been so long, I forget. Now I have an 802.11ac access point, and I know my modem can't do that.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Huh? Which Asus do you have?

Btw, if the Verizon one is working, why mess with it? I added on a Wi-Fi access point to my DSL model/router/AP because I wanted either better range or the DSL one doesn't do 802.11n...it's been so long, I forget. Now I have an 802.11ac access point, and I know my modem can't do that.
I have the Asus AC66U. The Asus seems to provide better reception throughout the apartment and even immediately outside the building. I also like the UI better. I think I'd also like to eventually try openVPN that BSA was talking about as well. I think it boils down to that I'm used and more comfortable with the Asus, so if I can use it I'd rather.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Yea, for most networking stuff you'd need a wired connection.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
So I got the Asus setup in AP mode and it's mostly working. I just had a few additional questions for BSA or anyone else out there.

Is it normal for the Asus in AP mode to be delivering slower speeds than the Quantum?

Should I be disabling the wireless in the Quantum or does it not matter?

I tried to follow the directions in this, but couldn't get it to work. Would this be a better setup?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis