Calibration Question - using a SPL meter

J

jadejay2

Enthusiast
Hi guys,

Another question from a HT novice:

I tried to calibrate my 7.1 speakers using the AVIA disk and a Radio Shack analog SPL meter last night. I had the meter on "C" weight, "Slow" response as suggested by AVIA. But when I played the test tone, the needle on the meter remains all the way to the left (~ -10 db?). I then changed the range from 70 to 60 (lowest range on the meter) on the SPL, the needle barely budged. Is it a broken meter or the volume was too low?

The master volume on the receiver is turned to a bit louder than what I would be watching movies at (45 on the receiver display, whatever db that may be corresponding to). Should I crank it up even higher just for calibration? And would that damage my speakers (I kind of know the answer, but just want to be sure with the brand new speakers)?

Thanks in advance!

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
You need to turn up the volume to the calibration level. It shouldn't damage your speakers, unless you're trying to fill a large space.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
jadejay2 said:
Hi guys,

Another question from a HT novice:

I tried to calibrate my 7.1 speakers using the AVIA disk and a Radio Shack analog SPL meter last night. I had the meter on "C" weight, "Slow" response as suggested by AVIA. But when I played the test tone, the needle on the meter remains all the way to the left (~ -10 db?). I then changed the range from 70 to 60 (lowest range on the meter) on the SPL, the needle barely budged. Is it a broken meter or the volume was too low?

The master volume on the receiver is turned to a bit louder than what I would be watching movies at (45 on the receiver display, whatever db that may be corresponding to). Should I crank it up even higher just for calibration? And would that damage my speakers (I kind of know the answer, but just want to be sure with the brand new speakers)?

Thanks in advance!

Firstly, just to be sure, use the battery check on the meter range dial to make sure the battery has what the meter needs.

Then, set the range to 70, although the Avia has a higher signal than the other discs, and turn the master volume up to read about 75dB spl on the first speaker, perhaps the front left. Note where the master volume control is. I bet it will be close to -10 or 0. Then proceed to the other channels, and using the trims for each channel, level match them.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis