Cable for SubWoofer

I

iamnotaparkbenc

Junior Audioholic
Hi guys,
I finally bought the SVS 25 - 31 PCi sub today, and the person who helped me (Ron) asked if I wanted any cable.

Does cable plays a big role in subwoofer? if so where should I buy the cable? I checked out Blue Jeans Cable and SVS' Better Cables, they have around $11 difference, and I am leaning toward Blue Jeans Cable. Anybody ever used their cable? is it good? or should i go for SVS'?

Thank you

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Hi guys,
I finally bought the SVS 25 - 31 PCi sub today, and the person who helped me (Ron) asked if I wanted any cable.

Does cable plays a big role in subwoofer? if so where should I buy the cable? I checked out Blue Jeans Cable and SVS' Better Cables, they have around $11 difference, and I am leaning toward Blue Jeans Cable. Anybody ever used their cable? is it good? or should i go for SVS'?

Thank you
It really doesn't matter get whichever is cheaper hell if you have any old RCA (those yellow/red/white ones) at home use that if you hear no interference you are good and didn't spend any money :cool:.

BTW I have a bluejeans cable and its great, but you really don't need one unless you have interference which will be very noticeable.

I

iamnotaparkbenc

Junior Audioholic
Guess I'll wait on the cable.
But just to be sure i got the terminology right, interference means the bass sounds distorted right?

What usually causes an interference in a room? I have a turtle aquarium that used a UVB/ UVA light bulb, will that causes interference? I also have a computer in there and a mini compo (which I am going to give to my sister). Do any of these cause interference?

So if I have an old RCA cable at home, I just plug in the red one to the subwoofer right?

whew, thanks for being patient about my questions hehe, I know some of them sounds weird, but this is actually one of my first biggest project that I have ever done. (I love not having to worry about money for school, and can focus more on hobbies)

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Guess I'll wait on the cable.
But just to be sure i got the terminology right, interference means the bass sounds distorted right?

What usually causes an interference in a room? I have a turtle aquarium that used a UVB/ UVA light bulb, will that causes interference? I also have a computer in there and a mini compo (which I am going to give to my sister). Do any of these cause interference?

So if I have an old RCA cable at home, I just plug in the red one to the subwoofer right?

whew, thanks for being patient about my questions hehe, I know some of them sounds weird, but this is actually one of my first biggest project that I have ever done. (I love not having to worry about money for school, and can focus more on hobbies)
There are various types of interference that can be caused by a variety of things EMI is a big problem though. For the most part I wouldn't worry at all as most typical home applications won't have a problem with interference. When everything is plugged in if you don't here some sort of distortion you are good :).

The color of the RCA doesn't matter, but yeah, go from receiver pre-out to the subwoofer's input.

No problem at all. Here to help :D.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi guys,

Thank you
Sub cable is the easiest to satisfy:D
Make sure you know where the sub will be placed and order long enough cable. Check out monoprice cables and buy the less expensive of video, audio, coax or digital, any one will do.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Congrats on your new sub purchase!

I actually decided to buy one of their Better Cables. I developed a level of trust in SVS, and they said that (a) their cables wouldn't sound any better than the cheaper cables that I could get, (b) they'd had customers destroy their sub amps because of a bad cable, and (c) they'd never once had a Better Cable go bad on them after using them for years. So, for the investment that I made in the Ultra, I decided that it was worth another few bucks for the cable. It was a reliability issue in my mind, not a performance one.

Not saying to spend the extra cash on one. Just letting you know about my choice for my system.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Any well-shielded cable will do fine. Head over to monoprice.com A sub cable won't even cost $11.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
It is optimal to use a well shielded 75 ohm cable. Composite, coaxial (the one they use for SPDIF), or a subwoofer cable all typically have good shielding and are 75 ohm rated.

I

iamnotaparkbenc

Junior Audioholic
I am trying to find if I have an old cable in my house that I can use for the subwoofer, if I can't find any, I'll just buy it from monoprice (12 ft for $4.48).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis