Cabinet Temperatures

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
The media center cabinet in my bedroom has glass doors on the front and I'm not sure what an acceptable temperature range is. The only piece so far that is behind glass is my Onkyo TX-SR606. Typical of an Onkyo it runs warm but with 4" between it and the next shelf and four 1" vents and one 4" high in back of the same shelf it doesn't feel too hot in there. What is an acceptable temperature range?

I do have a 22db 120mm 115v AC fan that I can use but it's too loud to run all the time. I'd like to install a simple switch to turn the fan on at say 100 and off at 90 but the closest that I've found is one that will turn the fan on at 120 and off at 100 - I assume that's too high. The house never exceeds 90. If I do use the fan it will be in the 4" vent hole behind the receiver. Should it be push or pull?

I'd post pictures but I'm having technical issues tonight.

Djizasse

Djizasse

Senior Audioholic
You can use silent PC computer fans. They work with 12V, a simple ADCD 12V converter would do.
Then you could add a resistance to each fan, just to make it spin slower.

F

FNG212

Audioholic
They make temperature switches where you can set the on/off temps. I'm pretty sure home depot sells them but I can't seem to find it on the website. My dad installed on on his attic fan so that the attic doesn't get too hot in the summer (running up AC costs). I helped him install it and it was easy, just can't remember the brand. If I remember I'll try to look when I go over there next.

EDIT: This is pretty close to what you'll want but not exactly http://www.coolerguys.com/840556086611.html

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
To answer one of your original questions, mount the fan so it pulls hot air out.

Use foam rubber weather stripping when you mount the fan. It helps quiet any vibrations between the fan housing and the panel you mount it on. Some fans come with that already mounted.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I've ordered the cooler guys switch. It's set for a bit lower than I like and will want to run most of the time but I can live with that. I'll just plug that into an extra X10 controller. The idea is to only have it come only when needed when I'm using it and to have the X10 shut the fan shut off completely when I go to bed. With the receiver off the passive cooling from the vent holes should be enough to let the receiver cool down. I've also ordered a Sythe 120mm 8.7db 33cfm fan. I've had good luck with their fluid dynamic bearing fans before.

Thanks everyone. I'll post pics when done.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I just wanted to update everyone. The Coolerguys switch that FNG212 recommend works great. Of course I keep my home below 80 so the ambient temperatures aren't enough to effect it. A hotter room might be a problem though because it comes on at 86 and turns off at 80. But it works fine for my home. The single 33cfm fan I chose is just enough for my receiver and is keeping the cabinet much cooler and it's absolutely silent. I did use a silicone computer case fan silencer to keep from transferring noise but it probably wasn't necessary with this fan. Someone with more gear behind glass will want either more fans for more powerful fans. All in all I'm very pleased.

Thanks again everyone.

Last edited:
sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
He's another link that I replied to with pictures. It ain't pretty but it works for me.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis