I

iggie501

Audiophyte
Hey guys,

New to home theatre and was wondering if I could get some help.
I'm thinking of getting the zaph 2.5 for the front, sr71 for the rears and a center but not sure what's a good center to match with the zaph 2.5.
Next question is which cabinets should I get?
Thanks guys.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Hey guys,

I'm thinking of getting the zaph 2.5 for the front, sr71 for the rears and a center but not sure what's a good center to match with the zaph 2.5.
Thanks guys.
Dunno what you mean by "what cabs should I get"???? Get the cab for the Zaphs.

How about a 3rd Zaph 2.5 for the center?

I

iggie501

Audiophyte
Hey slippery,
thanks for the quick response.
Yea I thought that was a pretty straight forward guess for the zaph 2.5 but which cabinet should i get for the sr71?
I was thinking of getting the seas thor for the center or do you think it's better to just get a 3rd zaph 2.5 for the center?
And which cabinet would you get for the center if it's either or? and could i lay it on it's side? b/c i've heard some cabinets aren't meant to be put on it's side.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
It's best to use the same speaker for all 3 fronts. You can simply mount the TV or screen above them.

billg71

billg71

Audioholic Intern
Hey guys,

Thanks guys.
Which Zaph 2.5 are you considering? Are you looking at the Madisound kits? They list three 2.5 kits, the ZA 5.5, the ZA 5.3 and the ZRT 2.5.

The SR71 would drop into a Madisound MD14 cabinet but they don't sell them anymore or the baffles that will fit the drivers in the SR71 kit. The ZRT would work in a MD38 cabinet but, again, you can't buy one.

Parts Express carries a selection of cabinets in sizes that would work for most of the Zaph speakers, just read the descriptions on the site for cabinet volume and get the closest PE cabinet. You'll need woodworking skills and some tools to cut the baffles for the drivers and the cabinets for the ports. But it's definitely not a plug'n'play solution, you'll need to do some work.

If you're an amateur woodworker and have a decent shop just download the cabinet drawings from John's site, buy yourself a sheet or two of MDF and go at it. I built a pair of SR 71s a couple years ago in towers with a separate space at the bottom for an additional side-fire woofer(never got around to putting in the woofer) and they're a very nice 2-way speaker.

Have fun!

Best,
Bill

Last edited:
I

iggie501

Audiophyte
Which Zaph 2.5 are you considering? Are you looking at the Madisound kits? They list three 2.5 kits, the ZA 5.5, the ZA 5.3 and the ZRT 2.5.

The SR71 would drop into a Madisound MD14 cabinet but they don't sell them anymore or the baffles that will fit the drivers in the SR71 kit. The ZRT would work in a MD38 cabinet but, again, you can't buy one.

Parts Express carries a selection of cabinets in sizes that would work for most of the Zaph speakers, just read the descriptions on the site for cabinet volume and get the closest PE cabinet. You'll need woodworking skills and some tools to cut the baffles for the drivers and the cabinets for the ports. But it's definitely not a plug'n'play solution, you'll need to do some work.

If you're an amateur woodworker and have a decent shop just download the cabinet drawings from John's site, buy yourself a sheet or two of MDF and go at it. I built a pair of SR 71s a couple years ago in towers with a separate space at the bottom for an additional side-fire woofer(never got around to putting in the woofer) and they're a very nice 2-way speaker.

Have fun!

Best,
Bill
Hey Bill,

Yes I'm considering the Zaph ZRT 2.5 from Madisound.
I am also considering just buying the cabinets from Taylor Speaker but not sure which cabinet would go well with the center and for the SR71 kit.
As for the center I hear that not all cabinets can be put on it's side. Is this the case?
Thanks.

billg71

billg71

Audioholic Intern
Hey Bill,

Yes I'm considering the Zaph ZRT 2.5 from Madisound.
I am also considering just buying the cabinets from Taylor Speaker but not sure which cabinet would go well with the center and for the SR71 kit.
As for the center I hear that not all cabinets can be put on it's side. Is this the case?
Thanks.
If you're getting the cabinets from Taylor I'd suggest you call them and ask. Their Ziv II looks pretty close to the SR71 but they'd have to cut the baffle to fit the drivers. As for a center channel to go with the 2.5s I have no idea, never heard them. You might check Madisound for an MTM kit that'll fit your space.

Since you're "new to home theater" I'll ask why you're considering DIY speakers at all? Just looking at the Taylor cabs and the driver kits you're up to $3500 before shipping costs just for a pair of SR71s and a pair of ZRT 2.5s, no center channel, no sub and assembly required. For that kind of money you can put together a pretty decent 5.1 system off the shelf and maybe get to listen to it before buying if you shop local.

Just saying....

I

iggie501

Audiophyte
If you're getting the cabinets from Taylor I'd suggest you call them and ask. Their Ziv II looks pretty close to the SR71 but they'd have to cut the baffle to fit the drivers. As for a center channel to go with the 2.5s I have no idea, never heard them. You might check Madisound for an MTM kit that'll fit your space.

Since you're "new to home theater" I'll ask why you're considering DIY speakers at all? Just looking at the Taylor cabs and the driver kits you're up to $3500 before shipping costs just for a pair of SR71s and a pair of ZRT 2.5s, no center channel, no sub and assembly required. For that kind of money you can put together a pretty decent 5.1 system off the shelf and maybe get to listen to it before buying if you shop local.

Just saying....
Hey Bill,

one of my close friends actually has the ZRT 2.5 and the SR71 at his house.
So I'm just trying to mimic his setup because I think they sound great.
But back when he bought his system, madisound sold the driver and cabinets together as a kit.
Since they sort of split I'm not entirely sure what cabinets goes well with what.
The only difference is his center. He has the Seas Thor as a center but someone on this thread told me to use the same speaker for all 3 fronts.
What would you suggest to do bill?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis