cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
my current speaker cabs have the usual lining around the insides etc, is their any gains to be had filling the empty space with filler of some sort, like lightweiht polyester?:confused: or would cerwin vega have designed the inside finish precisely? thanks

R-Carpenter

R-Carpenter

Audioholic
What are you trying to achieve by changing the stuffing to begin with?

I think CV uses high Q drivers, so significantly more stuffing like long hair wool would decrease bass and also tighten it up a bit. I don't think there would be a day and night difference. Perhaps additional bracing in the cabinet would eliminate some of the boxy sound if that's the problem.

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
no boxy

just wondering really, the cvs are not boxy sounding at all, they are well braced and are quite articulate. they have good definition of the mid to lows.

SoTweaked

SoTweaked

Audiophyte
Well I heard if you were to add the lightweiht polyester it can make your speakers think there in a bigger box they sell stuff like that on parts express or cheaper stuff at walmart.

It is a sound absorption, dampening fiber that will deepen bass, provide cleaner midrange and improve the dynamic extension of any speaker system. There are no health hazards and no mask or gloves are needed when using this product; the melting point is a very high 490°F. Most sealed and vented enclosures require 1/2 lb. of dampening material per cubic foot of enclosure. For best results it is recommended to loosely fill the material throughout the enclosure.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
my current speaker cabs have the usual lining around the insides etc, is their any gains to be had filling the empty space with filler of some sort, like lightweiht polyester?:confused: or would cerwin vega have designed the inside finish precisely? thanks
They will have put in the optimal stuffing for a ported design, which requires light stuffing. If you add stuffing the you will kill Fb and loose all your bass. Sealed speakers have to be stuffed heavily.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis