Buzzing sound from subwoofer (ground loop), what is the best solution?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm more than happy to help anyone that I can.

My comment, "have to start saving the posts" was directed toward myself. Being a slow typist, and realizing that I'd have to type a long explanation on grounding( as TLS did); and the process of elimination that goes along with it. I made a "note to self" kind of thing.
Though with that being said; the search function seems to be under utilized. I'd like to suggest using the search function, then asking a question to help fill in the blanks. Anyone is more than happy to help.

If (note the IF) :)TLS is codgity it could be that he has answered many questions, multiple times, only to have a member speculate as to some other cause/effect. I'm not singling out anyone in this thread; it has happened many times in the past.

I'm always willing to help, if the question falls within my limited expertise, electrical work, and women...... My wife informs my I know (very) little of the later.:eek::D
Yes, that is pretty much it, although you give me an opportunity to "revise and extend my remarks", as they say in Washington.

First of all Alex, I was not offended by your remark calling me "codgedy". I will just try not to wear that accolade with too much pride!

As you probably know, I have wasted too much time on these forums. The upshot in any case is a degree of personal investment, and the hope that one has given a helping hand to the novice.

One of the reasons for being on this forum is that it seems to have a better reputation than others for correct information, and is viewed by thousands.

Now, as long as the ranking system is continued on these forums, I believe moving up in rank carries responsibilities. Alex, you carry the august title of "Audioholic General". Now this issue of ground loops is common and pervasive in audio systems. In addition to the points raised by Rickster, we have a responsibility not to confuse the "Audiophyte". I'm going to be up front and state that the way this thread was degenerating into useless woolly thinking is not going to be helpful to someone looking to these forums for good advice.

I do believe we have a responsibility to tactfully correct each others behavior, and so I'm not offended by your remarks. However your remark entitles me to give my point of view.

If you had said up front, "I can not understand how ground loops occur, even after reading posts on these forums and elsewhere, could someone please give a simple explanation?" that would have been an entirely different matter. I would have known were you you where coming from. I felt that this was far too important a topic to let us have a nebulous unhelpful thread out there. After all the post was not in the "Steam Vent!"

If I'm a bit of a stickler about this I make no apologies. As I think you know I'm a retired physician. I don't think many are aware, but the title "Doctor", essentially means teacher. Throughout my career I took my teaching responsibilities seriously, to teach patients, families, nurses, techs, medical students, residents and colleagues. I always had my antennae out for woolly thinking. In the ICU woolly thinking can cause a patient to have "a half day out with the undertaker." Thank goodness the consequence on this thread is to get a buzz on or not.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
At least now there is a statement to pick apart in hopes of teaching those of us who would benefit. :)
That kind of meant that I don't get it.

I meant codgedy with affection. I generally know who my betters are in given fields and I have taken a few different stabs at getting ground loops figured out. I'll go over these last few posts another day when I'm fresh as a daisy.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

That kind of meant that I don't get it.

I meant codgedy with affection. I generally know who my betters are in given fields and I have taken a few different stabs at getting ground loops figured out. I'll go over these last few posts another day when I'm fresh as a daisy.
I know you did, and that's why I accept the accolade with pride!

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
If (note the IF) :)TLS is codgity it could be that he has answered many questions, multiple times, only to have a member speculate as to some other cause/effect.
Hey Rick,

TLS's codgity(ness) aside, I just wanted to point out that I wasn't speculating so much as trying to explain the thoughts I had on the matter so that it could be plainly seen where I needed correction and guidance. I now see that I should have made that clear in every post of that nature. For the record, there is only one member that I am aware of that grinds posts out more laboriously than I, and that's Gimpy Ric. :)

You are right about using the search function more, not only on this site but on Google as well. One of the concepts that I am trying to grasp and have just skimmed over is 'electrical potential'. I saw that I would need to understand that better to be able to understand TLS's post. One thing in TLS's post that was an eye opener for me is that grounded components 'leak' current to the ground. An explanation on how that happens is not something that I'm likely to find with a search.

TLS,

The title of 'General' indicates how many posts I have made, not how much I know. Let the reader beware. In my case the little green squares are more indicative of light hearted interaction than of having made great contributions in the A/V field. I'd say that for every 'simple' contribution that I have made, I have benefited tenfold. When it comes to that, you and I are polar opposites. :)

I may not be your waitress but you 'have a nice day' anyway.

Best regards to the both of you,
Alex

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

UOTE=Alex2507;442417]Hey R[Qick, One thing in TLS's post that was an eye opener for me is that grounded components 'leak' current to the ground. An explanation on how that happens is not something that I'm likely to find with a search.

I may not be your waitress but you 'have a nice day' anyway.

Alex[/QUOTE]

You asked for it Alex. Wet towel time!

Here is a good article on grounding. It also shows the various symbols that denote ground.

Now you need to look at a circuit. This is one of an audio amplifier, the QUAD 405. Just take a look and see how many components are connected to ground. The loads will be non linear also, so the ground lines are not only carrying significant current, but it is also a lot of hash. I think if you look at this after your beauty sleep you will see why grounding is such a big issue.

And yes, I will have a good day and you too.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis