Buying Denon X4000 or Onkyo 929 need help

K

kidplayer

Enthusiast
I Have a older B&K AVR507 receiver that ive had since new from 2002. While an amazing receiver I want the new options on the receivers of today,

My speakers are the problem, they are the Polk Audio LSi series that are 4ohm, I also use a SVS Ultra sub that has a separate amp.

So deciding on one of these 2 new receivers , Onkyo said the 929 would handle 4ohm speakers but I haven't seen anything about the Denon X4000? I don't want to run sep amps for my speakers so if the Denon cant handle the 4ohm I would go with the new Onkyo.

Any suggestions for me?

Oh im currently 5.1 but upgrading to 7.1 and possibly 7.2 in the future.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I Have a older B&K AVR507 receiver that ive had since new from 2002. While an amazing receiver I want the new options on the receivers of today,

My speakers are the problem, they are the Polk Audio LSi series that are 4ohm, I also use a SVS Ultra sub that has a separate amp.

So deciding on one of these 2 new receivers , Onkyo said the 929 would handle 4ohm speakers but I haven't seen anything about the Denon X4000? I don't want to run sep amps for my speakers so if the Denon cant handle the 4ohm I would go with the new Onkyo.

Any suggestions for me?

Oh im currently 5.1 but upgrading to 7.1 and possibly 7.2 in the future.
If you read Denon FAQ section you will see that they also can handle 4 ohm speakers depending on your room size and listening habit. I actually don't pay much attention to this 4 ohm capability specs any more because they don't seem to be any universal standards that manufacturers have to base their specs on anyway.

On the practical side, consider this, if you use the 929 in a 20X25X10 ft room sitting 20 ft from the speakers and listen to compressed music for hours each day at 90+ dB SPL, then the 929 is not going to cut it, but if your room is 12X18X8 and you sit 10 ft away listening at 25 to 80 dB average SPL then the X4000 can handle your LSI speakers easily. It really is difficult to give a blanket answer due to the complex nature of the topic. It is better to base your decision on the features that are important to you, the perceived reliability and then find out if you need the extra power and if you do, simply add a low cost 2 channel amp for the L/R and then focus on enjoying the music and movies.

K

kidplayer

Enthusiast
Solid post,

My room is 19x18x8 I'm actually converting my garage to a room.

Honestly I won't use it a ton, my kids will use it for ps3 soon to be ps4 and then the occasional movie night where I will want to crank it !!

My bk avr can't handle anything I just want hdmi, wifi Bluetooth etc..

I like that the onkyo has wifi as well.. But seen some reliability issues with them ..

Last edited:
Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
One thing, being an Integra owner that disappointed me is that the Onkyo /Integra do not support airplay. The 929 is "Airplay Ready" but requires an additional adapter. Keep this in mind if Airplay is important to you.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_580DSA5/Onkyo-DS-A5.html?tp=238

So add $200.00 to cost an note that it uses the old adapter (i.e. newer ipad / ipod have smaller dock connector)

As far as Onkyo having reliability issues, I have read multiple sources about older units (HDMI board Related), but not much about the newer models. Keep in mind that Onkyo has a 2 yr Warranty vs 3 year on the Denon.

I am in the minority in not being a huge Denon fan, but you can't argue with the value that the 4000 is vs the 929 and I would suggest leaning towards the Dennon at equal price points. You can pick up a cheap USB wireless adapter for $50-60 bucks.

Last edited:
K

kidplayer

Enthusiast
Cannot not just stream music through wifi /blutooth or through dnla using my router and sending from computer to the onkyo?

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Yes, you can and its very easy to do, but you stated you wanted airplay. Can stream through DNLA and very easy to set up.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
For sure I would get the X4000 or the 4311 (if I could get brand new for $1200). Electronic Expo had the 4311 for $1225 shipped brand new back then.

Onecall has a like-new open-box full 3YR warranty 4311 for $1278 shipped. I would call them and negotiate for $1000. :D

K

kidplayer

Enthusiast
For sure I would get the X4000 or the 4311 (if I could get brand new for $1200). Electronic Expo had the 4311 for $1225 shipped brand new back then.

Onecall has a like-new open-box full 3YR warranty 4311 for $1278 shipped. I would call them and negotiate for $1000. :D

That's a good possibility thanks, I see it's 4ohm certified as well.. Does the 4311 lack anything the 4000 has?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
That's a good possibility thanks, I see it's 4ohm certified as well.. Does the 4311 lack anything the 4000 has?
Upscale to 4k I guess, but that's probably useless for most people. The 4311 is superior for sure.

K

kidplayer

Enthusiast
Thanks and your right dont care about 4k

How much difference will any of these new midrange receivers compare to my OLD high end thx ultra 2 BK AVR 507.

If marginal I can live without some features and save the money .

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks and your right dont care about 4k

How much difference will any of these new midrange receivers compare to my OLD high end thx ultra 2 BK AVR 507.

If marginal I can live without some features and save the money .
I think the difference in convenient features are major. In term of sound quality, the B&K may have better quality power supply and amp section but the resulting difference in pure direct mode will be subtle at best because the 4311 also has high quality amp section and power supply. The differences due to Audyssey XT32 and HD sound formats will not be so subtle.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I say Audyssey XT32.

Otherwise, I am partial to B&K since ATI owns B&K. :D

K

kidplayer

Enthusiast
I was thinking the audyssey was going to be the biggest upgrade along with hdmi inputs..

Can I use the bk as a preamp?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I was thinking the audyssey was going to be the biggest upgrade along with hdmi inputs..

Can I use the bk as a preamp?
You mean in ADDITION to the Denon AVR?

That would be superfluous. :D

But to use as a preamp in 2nd system elsewhere would be peachy. :D

K

kidplayer

Enthusiast
Well I talked to onkyo and they said the 929 can handle all 7.1 with 4ohm.. They said you just can't mix and match say 4 and. 8 ohm when choosing the 4 ohm impedance setting.

J

jomark911

Audioholic Intern
Ofcourse you can.The problem , if there is one, will be with the different sensitivity of each speaker. The 4 ohms load which stresses the power amp is a different thing , which they avoid to discuss.

K

kidplayer

Enthusiast
Ofcourse you can.The problem , if there is one, will be with the different sensitivity of each speaker. The 4 ohms load which stresses the power amp is a different thing , which they avoid to discuss.
In another thread someone posted to run the 4ohm speakers using the 8ohm setting in the receiver. That was followed up with 3 others saying to do the same thing and then a link was posted why.

how do you al feel about that

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis