Buying a used eD subwoofer, mistake?

P

pureiso

Junior Audioholic
I have found an A7S-450 subwoofer for sale for an extremely low price, and was wondering with the issues with eD if this would be a bad idea.

Reading a few reviews, I am seeing this is a great performer. But if anything fails, I am looking at DIY fixes at this point.

What do you guys think? How low of a price would you take the risk?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have found an A7S-450 subwoofer for sale for an extremely low price, and was wondering with the issues with eD if this would be a bad idea.

Reading a few reviews, I am seeing this is a great performer. But if anything fails, I am looking at DIY fixes at this point.

What do you guys think? How low of a price would you take the risk?
First make sure your home owners insurance is adequate. The amps on those things are very unreliable. There will be no DIY fix for anything that is likely to happen to those amps.

$0.50 cents is not low enough for that junk.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Well, unless you feel like replacing the amp, there's nothing you can do. You could always cut another piece of MDF, put a nice seal on it, and wood glue it on the back with two binding posts on it to make it passive. It's a lot of work and a pretty big expense when you could just buy a brand new one.

How much would you be paying for the thing?

P

pureiso

Junior Audioholic
$150 for it, local purchase. If there are reliability issues I might as well let this one go...

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
$150 is not so bad as long as it doesn't come with any problems. What's the worst that could happen (aside from the the amp catching fire which spreads to your house and kills you and everyone you love). But the A7s does have some killer mid-bass output , 120 db at 2m, that is bass you can feel. At $150, even if it only lasts 6 months or a year, who cares. Save up money until it breaks in the meantime, and when it does bite the dust buy something that can equal its performance like a Epik Empire or a Hsu VTF15h. If someone offered me one for $150 I would take it. You might think twice about leaving it plugged in when you aren't around though....

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Just send me the $150 and I promise not to set your house on fire ... K? :rolleyes:

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
For that price I'd jump on it, and if the amp fails, just remove it, seal up the hole and make it passive.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis