Buying a TV this weekend / At crossroad

Bryguy

Bryguy

Audioholic
I'm looking at purchasing this weekend and have it somewhat narrowed down and I know this has been hashed out a million times. One of the models I'm looking at is the Panny G25/GT25. I'm not into 3D and would not purchase the glasses but the GT looked to have a better picture over the regular G. My concerns on the Panny is the buzz/hum (most plasmas do this?) and the so called issues I have read about rising black levels. Not really sure what rising black levels do to the PQ. I can't really see buying something knowing outright there is going to be a PQ issue in a year or two. Also, with all of the networks displaying their logo's in the bottom corner will I have issues with Image Retention or Burn In.

The other tv I'm looking at is the LG5400 and higher models. It doesn't matter if the panel is lit by CCFL or LED, I just want a really good PQ.

We watch a lot of football, nascar and hockey. Looking at a 46"-50" since we will be about 8 to 10 from the sceen. So far we still have DishNetwork. The TV will be used hard. Due to a medical condition the tv will run most of the weekend and then during the week from after work until about 1 or 2 in the morning.

Any info is appreciated.

B.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
I searched for 'buzzing issues with plasma displays' and found this article on Samsung's website.

I also found this article on plasmas.

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/plasma-tv-problems.html

My Samsung Plasma makes a buzzing sound

A buzzing sound from your plasma TV is normal. It is caused by the electrical charges used to create the images on the screen. The buzzing, however, should not be so loud that you can hear it when the volume on the TV is set at normal levels.
It is also important to determine the type of buzzing sound. A sound like a ground hum is completely normal. This buzzing can originate near the power cord connection or from the SMPS board position on the upper back of the TV. The buzz will be more audible as contrast increases on the screen, most notably when displaying an all white screen. If the buzzing sound is loud, you may have the Contrast set too high. Lower the contrast to reduce or eliminate the buzzing.
You may also have loud buzzing if the rear of your Plasma TV is too close to a wall or other hard surface. Try moving your TV away from the wall until the buzzing is minimized. [1]
If the buzzing is at a higher frequency and resembles a crackling sound (like the sound of Velcro being pulled apart), and originates from the upper middle back of the TV, you likely have a failing SMPS board. Place a support call with Samsung to have the SMPS board replaced.
FP-T5084 Have a known buzzing problem with a very simple fix. If the buzzing is coming from the left or right sides of the rear and the volume can be changed by pressing lightly on those locations, you are probably hearing the vibration of the grounding springs on the back panel. Call Samsung and have a technician confirm the problem. The easiest fix is to insulate the offending spring by applying some felt tape.

Last edited:
D

DuluthMN

Audioholic Intern
I'm looking at purchasing this weekend and have it somewhat narrowed down and I know this has been hashed out a million times. One of the models I'm looking at is the Panny G25/GT25. I'm not into 3D and would not purchase the glasses but the GT looked to have a better picture over the regular G. My concerns on the Panny is the buzz/hum (most plasmas do this?) and the so called issues I have read about rising black levels. Not really sure what rising black levels do to the PQ. I can't really see buying something knowing outright there is going to be a PQ issue in a year or two. Also, with all of the networks displaying their logo's in the bottom corner will I have issues with Image Retention or Burn In.

The other tv I'm looking at is the LG5400 and higher models. It doesn't matter if the panel is lit by CCFL or LED, I just want a really good PQ.

We watch a lot of football, nascar and hockey. Looking at a 46"-50" since we will be about 8 to 10 from the sceen. So far we still have DishNetwork. The TV will be used hard. Due to a medical condition the tv will run most of the weekend and then during the week from after work until about 1 or 2 in the morning.

Any info is appreciated.

B.
I do not know much, but the research I have done I would be sure to go with 240mhz if you are going to be watching all those sporting events (well, Nascar is not really a sport)...

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
If I was buying a TV of that size, it would definitely be a Panny plasma. Plasmas can buzz/hum, unfortunately the loudness at which it does it can be a crap shoot. And yes, there is some IR but it is temporary. At that viewing distance, I'd bump up to a 54" if you can afford it.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I do not know much, but the research I have done I would be sure to go with 240mhz if you are going to be watching all those sporting events (well, Nascar is not really a sport)...
Pure marketing jive. Unless you really want that frame interpolation with these 120/240hz lcd's.
:vomit:

Plasma is as fast as a direct electrical current can excite gas. Nothing "mechanical" here.

We can't detect flicker at 72hz or beyond. Film is 24hz naturally.

For Bryguy:

To resolve the full 1080p from 8', your TV needs to be bigger than 60". This assumes 20/20 vision of course.

To resolve the full 1080p from 10', your TV need to be just about 80".

I would aim for a Panasonic 65" plasma.

Bryguy

Bryguy

Audioholic
Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. I do find it a little amusing that we will spend all of this money to get the buzz, hiss, crackle and what have you out of our audio equipment but when it comes to video we will accept it. With all of the advance in electronics and technology over the last 10 years you still can't get a perfect TV.

Any info on the rising black levels of the Panny's? I also noticed some sets list the feature ISFccc, I know what an ISF is but what about the ccc and what does this have to do with the TV itself?

B.

Bryguy

Bryguy

Audioholic
I think I forgot, there will be some weekends the tv will be on for 16 to 18 hours for when I am bed ridden (medical condition). I know LCD's are use to being on that long due to computer screens but can a Plasma really handle that and won't it get really hot after that length of time?

B.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Some people have had their's on for a weeklong break-in before calibration without problem or excessive heating. The ISFccc are specific picture setting modes that an ISF calibrator can set.

It has been postulated that even after a triple rise in black levels, it would still be better than Sammy's.

D

DuluthMN

Audioholic Intern
Pure marketing jive. Unless you really want that frame interpolation with these 120/240hz lcd's.
:vomit:

Plasma is as fast as a direct electrical current can excite gas. Nothing "mechanical" here.

We can't detect flicker at 72hz or beyond. Film is 24hz naturally.

This is just not true... I could tell a huge difference in watching a hockey puck go across the ice when looking at a 60mhz compared to a 240...

Disclaimer----- I do not even like watching hockey!

Last edited:
J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
This is just not true... I could tell a huge difference in watching a hockey puck go across the ice when looking at a 60mhz compared to a 240...

Disclaimer----- I do not even like watching hockey!
:rolleyes:

So these displays were ABSOLUTELY IDENTICAL outside of 60 and 240? This IS the reason why one looked better than the other?

Do you know what FI is?

240hz is simply 60hz x 4. Ideally, it would do what is called a 4:4 pulldown. However, depending on how much FI you have engaged, you'll have a processor/algorithm trying to guess and or fakeout the inbetween frames, rather than the straight up 4:4. Is that what you were seeing? DO YOU EVEN KNOW?

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
I think I forgot, there will be some weekends the tv will be on for 16 to 18 hours for when I am bed ridden (medical condition). I know LCD's are use to being on that long due to computer screens but can a Plasma really handle that and won't it get really hot after that length of time?

B.
I had a Samsung 46" Plasma HP-T5054 and it burned up in less then a year. It took Samsung 2 weeks to decide to give me store credit rather then repair it.:mad:
I added a few more $$ and got a Toshiba 55" LCD Regza. Our kids have our set on for 16 hours a day too with the Wii going and I had to do a weekly sweep so no burn in on the Plasma. No worries about that now with the LCD. I know a lot of members here like Plasma but mine ran so HOT compaired to the LCD I have now.I did not wall mount because of the heat. I even had 2 small fans behind it 20" from the wall. Both have a great picture so this time I purchased the extended warranty just in case this one too bites the dust. I figured none of the flat screen TV will last like a old CRT set.:( what ever you pick get the extended warranty. If you have a Wii or PS3 game system pass on a Plasma if it is going to get used for so long every day. I am sure there are some members will chime in with posts that the Plasma will last....just saying what happened to us.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan

B.
I don't know, but the local sports bar has two projectors, and at least a dozen other displays, every one being a plasma, and they are on all day long, 7 days a week (I know the guys that installed all of this). They do turn them off for the 8 hours or whatever they are closed at night. This place has been around for about 15 years, and I don't remember ever seeing one plasma go out. They use Pioneers and Panasonics.

I've actually been behind one of those gargantuan (+100") plasmas. It was in the lobby of a Panasonic building, and is on all day. I took a pic of the backside of it, it had at least four fans, and I didn't feel any heat.

For full disclosure I've never owned a single flat panel ever, and my only display is a JVC projector. If I bought my first flat panel, there is no doubt whatsoever it would be a plasma. I mean, I wouldn't even look for one second into an LCD. So, yeah, maybe there is bias, but I put PQ as first priority, not saving $15 in electricity over the course of a year.

If you hang out in projector forums like I do, you will never ever see an LCD vs Projector thread. You WILL see plasma vs projector threads. There is a reason for this.

However for bryguy I'd probably just get an LCD, I dunno why. I mean, what else is there to really talk about here? I don't think I have anything else to offer right now.

Bryguy

Bryguy

Audioholic
I don't know, but the local sports bar has two projectors, and at least a dozen other displays, every one being a plasma, and they are on all day long, 7 days a week (I know the guys that installed all of this). They do turn them off for the 8 hours or whatever they are closed at night. This place has been around for about 15 years, and I don't remember ever seeing one plasma go out. They use Pioneers and Panasonics.
You know, I never thought about the sports bars. The one I purchase, plasma or lcd, will not be wall mounted. I will most likely purchase from a close brick and mortar (Big Screen Store) since they will deliver, remove the old big CRT and also have a built in 3 yr warranty (one year longer than Costco).

B.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
You know, I never thought about the sports bars. The one I purchase, plasma or lcd, will not be wall mounted. I will most likely purchase from a close brick and mortar (Big Screen Store) since they will deliver, remove the old big CRT and also have a built in 3 yr warranty (one year longer than Costco).

B.
If you sign up with Amex from Costco, make it a 3 year warranty.

The Amex/Costco card is cash back too (as your points).

Costco + Panasonic plasma is ALWAYS my advice to friends that don't have hookups, and have a budget at 1k or less.

The only issue for someone like me is that they never ever carry the high end, like the VT25 or the V10 of past.

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic

I've actually been behind one of those gargantuan (+100") plasmas. It was in the lobby of a Panasonic building, and is on all day. I took a pic of the backside of it, it had at least four fans, and I didn't feel any heat.

For full disclosure I've never owned a single flat panel ever, and my only display is a JVC projector. If I bought my first flat panel, there is no doubt whatsoever it would be a plasma. I mean, I wouldn't even look for one second into an LCD. So, yeah, maybe there is bias, but I put PQ as first priority, not saving $15 in electricity over the course of a year.

If you hang out in projector forums like I do, you will never ever see an LCD vs Projector thread. You WILL see plasma vs projector threads. There is a reason for this.

However for bryguy I'd probably just get an LCD, I dunno why. I mean, what else is there to really talk about here? I don't think I have anything else to offer right now.
The heat comes out the top vents not the bottom on the Samsung Plasma I had. I noticed you said at least FOUR fans.
I looked at projectors and liked them but there is no place to install in my small den without it hanging from the 8' ceiling. The Conn's repair Tech that came out to our home to "Try" to repair our plasma said he had more calls on a plasma then a LCD?? Just saying what I was told as I am no expert. But like I posted before, I don't think any of the new flat screens will last like a old CRT did. My old 26" Sony is 20years old and still works... out the shop now. And suprised how good the picture is on our Verizon FIOS HD box.

Bryguy

Bryguy

Audioholic
If you sign up with Amex from Costco, make it a 3 year warranty.

The Amex/Costco card is cash back too (as your points).

Costco + Panasonic plasma is ALWAYS my advice to friends that don't have hookups, and have a budget at 1k or less.

The only issue for someone like me is that they never ever carry the high end, like the VT25 or the V10 of past.
Due to the medical issues and HUGE medical bills my credit is shot, otherwise, Costco would have the business. Especially, since they have the 90 day no questions asked return policy.

B.

Bryguy

Bryguy

Audioholic
I have a 16 yr old 20 inch Philips CRT still running strong. Wish new technology lasted that long. I'm sick of replacing crap every several years.

B.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
The heat comes out the top vents not the bottom on the Samsung Plasma I had. I noticed you said at least FOUR fans.
Then you also must have noted that it was over 100". Here is a pic. I don't know how many fans are on it, TBH. The larger the display, of course the more heat is created. For your understanding of relative size, this is 425% larger than a 50" TV.

The hottest display I've ever neared happened to be a Sharp LCD. I've never seen/felt any display that hot. It was way hotter that this enormous plasma below.

I looked at projectors and liked them but there is no place to install in my small den without it hanging from the 8' ceiling. The Conn's repair Tech that came out to our home to "Try" to repair our plasma said he had more calls on a plasma then a LCD?? Just saying what I was told as I am no expert. But like I posted before, I don't think any of the new flat screens will last like a old CRT did. My old 26" Sony is 20years old and still works... out the shop now. And suprised how good the picture is on our Verizon FIOS HD box.
Today, plasmas are less reliable than LCDs by 1 percentage point, when comparing the most reliable (happens to be Pana for both LCD and plasma).

If Pioneer was still in the game, well, they only used the finest picked parts . . . and set the industry standard as far as OTB variation was concerned.

Bryguy

Bryguy

Audioholic
Audioholics, your killing me, I just notice you have an LG9500 for sale for $1799 with 4 sets of glasses. Don't really care about the glasses or 3D but I have to say the 9500 has a great picture.

B.

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
Then you also must have noted that it was over 100". Here is a pic. I don't know how many fans are on it, TBH. The larger the display, of course the more heat is created. For your understanding of relative size, this is 425% larger than a 50" TV.

The hottest display I've ever neared happened to be a Sharp LCD. I've never seen/felt any display that hot. It was way hotter that this enormous plasma below.

Today, plasmas are less reliable than LCDs by 1 percentage point, when comparing the most reliable (happens to be Pana for both LCD and plasma).

If Pioneer was still in the game, well, they only used the finest picked parts . . . and set the industry standard as far as OTB variation was concerned.
I see what you are saying(did you feel the top of the frame vents) but my plasma had vents in the center too. 90% of the heat came out the top, so I added 2 small fans blowing at the bottom vents. It still had way more heat venting from the top of the frame then either of my other flat screens. One is a older 46" LED my late Dad left me and now my new LCD. I guess I was just one of the 1%. And by the way I have 55" not a 50.......... math lesson over.:D Buy what you want it's your money. As I said I am no expert just posting what happened to me with a Samsung Plasma.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis