Buying a Replacement AVR for Parents--Need Help to Match Speakers

A

AudioBarron

Audiophyte
My parents had an old Panasonic SA-H82 AVR with SB-ZR920 floor-standing speakers. Recently, the AVR died but the speakers still work. Since they are on a tight budget, I am trying to find an AVR around $300-$350 for them to use with their speakers. Here are the specs:

SA-H82 Panasonic 3-Way Floor-Standing Speakers
Woofer: 10" cone
Mid Range: 4" cone
Tweeter: 2" cone

Impedance: 8 ohms, nominal
Input Power: 200W music, 100W DIN (=67W RMS?)
Output Sound Pressure Level: 88db/W (1.0 m)
Crossover Frequencies: 3kHz, 6kHz
Frequency Range: 27Hz-22kHz (-16dB); 35Hz-20kHz (-10dB)

I would like to pair this with a Yamaha RX-V573 AVR which is on sale for about $280 before tax. Specs are:

Rated Output Power (8 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.9 % THD, 1 ch driven): 115 W/ch
Rated Output Power (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.09 % THD, 2 ch driven): 80 W/ch
Dynamic Power/Ch (Front L/R, 8/6/4 ohms): 110/130/160 W

I have tried reading numerous sites on matching speakers with AVRs and still feel confused. I am uncertain about the DIN to RMS conversion and so I am uncertain what to make of the Output Sound Pressure Level for the speakers. How does this Output Sound Pressure Level relate to RMS?

My primary concern is not overpowering these speakers, but underpowering them and so burning out the Yamaha AVR amp.

My parents would use this setup mostly to listen to music and to add sound while watching movies, and for now it will simply be a 2.0 setup.

So I need your advice. Will this work? Or is the amp too underpowered for the speakers?

The Yamaha RX-V573 AVR seems to receive generally favorable reviews, but I am open to other suggestions for an AVR in this price range.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You don't need to match anything. Unless your parents listen at extreme levels, which I am going to guess is not a likely issue, there should not be any problem at all. 8 Ohms and 88dB sensitivity running only 2 speakers, I'd say you might even be better off with just a stereo receiver if they don't need to feed HDMI through it and they don't intend to add surround.

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-R-S300BL-Stereo-Receiver-Black/dp/B0044779H2/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1386614421&sr=8-6&keywords=yamaha+stereo+receiver

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
You are fine with any reputable receiver brand. HK for example makes excellent stereo receiver. I can assure you that the specs for your receivers and speakers are not a good basis to buy on.

Most drivers can't really take 100 watts anyway and clipping is not a major issue in home audio in my experience.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
My primary concern is not overpowering these speakers, but underpowering them and so burning out the Yamaha AVR amp.

My parents would use this setup mostly to listen to music and to add sound while watching movies, and for now it will simply be a 2.0 setup.

So I need your advice. Will this work? Or is the amp too underpowered for the speakers?

The Yamaha RX-V573 AVR seems to receive generally favorable reviews, but I am open to other suggestions for an AVR in this price range.
There seems to be a sense of fear going around, that receivers are going to burn up. :)

There is no way you are going to under-power them speakers. However I agree, if only going
2 channel, I would think about a stereo receiver.

A

AudioBarron

Audiophyte
Thanks for the advice. My parents will be hooking up some a vcr/dvd player and later a blu ray player into the AVR. My only concern with the Yamaha AVR is that I found out that it does not upconvert analog to digital. It will be feeding into a Panasonic TX-P50S60 and while this has a nice picture, standard definition is only average at best. The problem is their budget--about $300.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks for the advice. My parents will be hooking up some a vcr/dvd player and later a blu ray player into the AVR. My only concern with the Yamaha AVR is that I found out that it does not upconvert analog to digital. It will be feeding into a Panasonic TX-P50S60 and while this has a nice picture, standard definition is only average at best. The problem is their budget--about $300.
You can easily get a receiver for that. You want the TV to do the upconverting if you can get it to do so.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis