Buying a new Denon receiver

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
So I am upgrading HT and will be buying the Andrew Jones Pioneer 5.0 setup, paired with most likely an HSU STF2 or maybe better if I can afford it (maybe something cheaper if I don't feel like spending the money and there is something 100$ cheaper with similar sound quality).

I was all set to go with the AVR 1913, until I saw that numerous people here used accessories 4 less, which I thought was a scammy site (looks really cheap but apparently is awesome and legit). When I looked at the Denon refurbs I can get something much better for cheaper. Which one is worth it to run a 5.1 set up which will expand in time to 7.1 or even 7.2 if I feel I need a second sub.

The models I'm looking at are

1913 $379 (save 200$ off new)
2311 $379
2312 $499
2313 $579
3311 $549
3312 $669
3313 $779

Accessories4less: High End Audio at Low End Prices!

Are there large benefits over say the 2311 and 2313? is it worth the extra money for the newer model? Also what about the differences between the 23 and 33? Will either be a more suitable given what I will use to run them. Other items that will be used with the unit are LG 3D Blu Ray, PS3, and LG Cinema 6700 3D 55" LED TV.

Opinions are much appreciated. Thanks.

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
Or am I making a mistake by not going with say a $500 range (on the A4L site) Onkyo like TX-NR717, or something slightly higher priced or slightly cheaper, given the Denon's are not THX certified and the Onkyo's all seem to be in the 300-600$ range.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would call Electronics Expo, Vanns, & Onecall & see if they have any open box Denon 3312 they can sell for $500 delivered. Amazon was selling them open box for $492 & once new for $550. Open box gets you the same 3 yr warranty. I would never buy Refurbished. And I would never buy any Onkyo less than the 800 models new and never buy a refurbished Onkyo.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Some have had bad luck with refurbished denons, and others including myself have had positive experiences, so ymmv. If the price is right, I see no reason to go for it, but it may be a good idea to buy an extended warranty as refurbished units don't carry the same warranty as a new unit.

O

Omar Leon

Enthusiast
I have a Denon 1913 for sale! :D I upgraded to the Yamaha Aventage series. PM if your interested.

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
Thanks, putting the nix on the 1913 Omar. I want 7.2 so I have the option of 2 subs if I choose.

I can't find the 3312 new or open box for a discounted price, only refurbs.

Curious about the technical difference between the 12 and 13's, if anyone has info or experience with both I'd love to hear it.

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
Also, if I decide I'm going to pop 670$ for one of these, whats 130$ more right?

how about Yamaha RX-A3010BL, at $800 brand new ($1900 MSRP). Absolute steal, or not really worth it or needed with the speakers I'm going with?

O

Omar Leon

Enthusiast
Yamaha RX-A3010BL is an absolute beast. Speakers will always benefit from more power. Most of the time receivers don't do them justice(80% of the time). I think you would be really happy with yamaha and will serve you for many years.

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
And sorry to keep adding to this without anyone responding to the previous post, but my current AVR is a Sony STR-DE897, 7.1 110w/ch.

Do you think an AVR upgrade is imperative for the Pio's? I obviously want to upgrade, but for the time being will this be sufficient? I want the HDMI 3D etc from a newer AVR but I will save up for something like the Yamaha mentioned above if it's worth it and just use my old one for a while but if it will not do the speakers justice I will focus on an AVR most importantly

Specs

Features
Amplifier Section
• Black Finish A/V Receiver (Also
Available in Silver)
• A & B/A or B Speaker Switch
• 32-bit Dolby® Digital, Dolby Pro®
Logic and dts® Decoder
• 32-bit DSP with 13 Acoustic
Environments
• Digital Cinema Sound™ system
with Cinema Studio EX modes
• Sound Field Modes (Movie, Music,
AFD, 2 Channel) Movie: 3 Modes;
Music: 3 Modes; AFD: 6 Modes; 2
Channel: 1 Mode
• Station Presets 30 Total
• Analog Direct
• Circuit Device (Discrete)
• Sound Field Link
Convenience
• Remote Commander® Remote
Control Pre-Programmed + Learn
+ Limited Macro
• Easy Setup Expandable Menu
System for Simplicity
Inputs and Outputs
• Assignable Digital Inputs
• 2 Component Video Inputs HD
Pass 80 MHz
• Screw Terminals for A and B
Speaker Connections
• Front Composite A/V with Optical
• Multi-Channel In (Analog) 5.1
Channel & 7.1 Channel Input
• Headphone Jack 1/4" Jack Gold
Plated
• Phono (mm)
• Control A 1 II
• Analog Audio Input x 3
• Digital Input x 6 (4 Optical, 2
Coaxial)
• Analog Audio Output x 1
• Digital Output x 1 (Optical)
• 2nd Zone Audio Ouput
• Pre-Out x 1 (Subwoofer)
• Composite Video Input x 5
• Composite Video Output x 2
• S-Video Input x 3
• S-Video Output x 1
• Component Video Input x 2 (HD
Pass 80 MHz)
• Component Video Output x 1 (HD
Pass 80 MHz)
• Monitor Out x 2 (1 Composite, 1
S-Video)
• AC Outlet (switched) x 2
Specifications
Amplifier Section
• FM Tuning Range 87.5 - 108 MHz
• AM Tuning Range 530 - 1710 kHz
• Display Type (Dot FL.)
• Record Out Level Impedance
500mV/10 kohm
• 7 Channel Power Rating 110 Watts
Per Channel x 7 (8 ohms 1 kHz,
THD 0.7%)
• 7 Channel Power Rating 100 Watts
Per Channel x 7 (8 ohms
20Hz-20kHz, THD 0.09%)
• Composite Video Input Sensitivity
Impedance 1 Vp-p/75 ohm
Video
• Frequency Response Line (CD) 10
Hz - 100kHz ±3 dB
• Phono Input Sensitivity Impedance
8mV/50 kohm
• Line (CD) Input Sensitivity
Impedance 500mV/50 k ohm
• Subwoofer Pre-Out Level
Impedance 2V/1 kohm
• Power Requirements 120V AC, 60
Hz
General
• Stereo Power Rating 100 Watts
Per Channel x 2 (8 ohms 20 Hz-20
kHz, THD .09%)
• Phono Input S/N Ratio 86 dB
• Line Input S/N Ratio 96 dB
Supplied Accessories
• Instruction Manual
• Remote Model: RM-PG413
Weights & Measures
• 23.59 lbs (10.7 kg)
• 16.93" x 6.2" x 14.57" (430 x
157.5 x 370 mm)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Also, if I decide I'm going to pop 670$ for one of these, whats 130$ more right?

how about Yamaha RX-A3010BL, at $800 brand new ($1900 MSRP). Absolute steal, or not really worth it or needed with the speakers I'm going with?
Grab the new Yamaha 3010 for $800 immediately. :D

Absolutely a steal.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Curious about the technical difference between the 12 and 13's, if anyone has info or experience with both I'd love to hear it.
I think extremely similar. One difference is that the 3312 can send digital source to Zone 2, but the 3313 can only send analog source to Zone 2.

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
So I went to BB to pick up my new RX-a3010BL. I get there and the guy looks at me like I have three heads and tells me they don't carry that. He looks through his inventory online and says no one on the east coast even has one. I show him it's listed on the website, on clearance, only available for pickup at this store.

But obv they didn't have one so it's back to the drawing board. Now they did have an open box 1913 and 2113 for 450 and 500 respectively, and I almost just jumped on the 2113 but I'm not sure if the Pio speakers I will use will be used to their potential with a 665w receiver like the 2113. Or is the 2113 all around better and worth the 210w loss?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Amazon had those open box (3yr warranty) Denon 3312 for $492 once. The price goes up & down like stocks. Right now the 3312 is $893. Maybe monitor the prices daily and see if they drop to $500. :D

You could find some used Denon 3310/3311/990 for around $450, but no warranty.

I do have 2 Denon 3310 & 1 Denon 990 all in great shape I need to sell, but I'm just too lazy. :D

I might just put them on Craiglist.

Edit: I just listed all 3 Denon on Craiglist OKC for $400 each or trade for iPad3 each. :D

Last edited:
the machine

the machine

Audioholic
Am I losing a lot by going with a 2113 over a 3312 or 3313? I'm just getting into this and I'm not sure if spending the extra 400$ is worth it for what I need.

A product comparison. Product Comparision

If I can save some money on the AVR I can buy a better sub, or just keep some extra set aside (or beer). I've read the 2113 is the sweet spot for many people. Might just be the best thing to start out with.

Opinion ADTG?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Am I losing a lot by going with a 2113 over a 3312 or 3313? I'm just getting into this and I'm not sure if spending the extra 400$ is worth it for what I need.

A product comparison. Product Comparision

If I can save some money on the AVR I can buy a better sub, or just keep some extra set aside (or beer). I've read the 2113 is the sweet spot for many people. Might just be the best thing to start out with.

Opinion ADTG?
I think the Denon 2113 will be just fine with the Pioneer speakers + HSU subs.

It's just my nature to try and get the best deals.

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
I agree, If I can find the 3313/12 for a cheap price, I will hop on it in a heart beat. Everywhere seems to be around 800 atm.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I agree, If I can find the 3313/12 for a cheap price, I will hop on it in a heart beat. Everywhere seems to be around 800 atm.
Keep an eye on Amazon. That 3312 open box may go down below $500 again. But you know it will also sell that same day. :eek:

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
(sent this as a PM to ADTG, but maybe others may want to chime in as well)

thanks for all your help in choosing my new avr.

i did some searching at local BB stores, you can see what they have on clearance or open box.

i found one avr on clearance, the 2313 for 449, so it is brand new. also found a 1912 open box, missing the manual and microphone, but its only 159.

i know the quality of the 23 and 33 will obv surpass the 19 by a lot but with the pio's, will i lose that much quality by going with the 19?

for the price i kind of want to just get it and maybe pass it off in time (i told my mother about the pio set and that she should get it for the price and im sure that would suit her well.)

i just want to make sure im not making a huge error by getting this and have it not be able to power the speakers well, and leaving me unsatisfied

thanks again

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
(sent this as a PM to ADTG, but maybe others may want to chime in as well)

thanks for all your help in choosing my new avr.

i did some searching at local BB stores, you can see what they have on clearance or open box.

i found one avr on clearance, the 2313 for 449, so it is brand new. also found a 1912 open box, missing the manual and microphone, but its only 159.

i know the quality of the 23 and 33 will obv surpass the 19 by a lot but with the pio's, will i lose that much quality by going with the 19?

for the price i kind of want to just get it and maybe pass it off in time (i told my mother about the pio set and that she should get it for the price and im sure that would suit her well.)

i just want to make sure im not making a huge error by getting this and have it not be able to power the speakers well, and leaving me unsatisfied

thanks again
I think the 1912 w/ 90wpc will be just fine as well. You also have the 30 day return policy. I don't even use Audyssey, so no Mic is no big deal to me.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis