H

Hellcommute

Enthusiast
Hello all,

I am looking to get a hold of some high quality speaker cable to use for a hifi and theater in-wall installs in my new home. I am fussy and do things once, right. So far I am looking at belden 1311a for speaker level cable. I could jump to 10awg, but my runs will be 50 ft or so max.

http://www.belden.com/techdatas/metric/1311A.pdf

I am looking at belden 1695a for line level for sub prewire.

http://www.belden.com/techdatas/metric/1695A.pdf

Does anyone have experience with these products in the diy realm. I want the best measured technical performance for the money and these seem to be it. Through some digging it seems these are popular choices for online cable manufacturers. Even some higher end cables......

P.s. I am aware of the popularity of mono price cable, but this is for a more professional install. I am not a fan of their quality in experience with prior installs. Their hdmi wall plates in particular are junk. Messed up an install in the past for me.

Thanks in advance!

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
Belden along with Canare, Gepco, Mogami and West Penn all make several excellent bulk cables.

But the sweet spot (both price and quality) for pre-made cables is BlueJean Cables.

Also while at the BlueJeans web-page, read the tech notes. The notes have lots of information about bulk cable's.

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I've had quite a bit of good luck with Monoprice speaker wire. I haven't used any other audio cables from them. HDMI from them is top notch as well.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Belden along with Canare, Gepco, Mogami and West Penn all make several excellent bulk cables.

But the sweet spot (both price and quality) for pre-made cables is BlueJean Cables.
OP didn't ask about premade cables, but I agree with the recommendation. Bluejeans bulk cable is Canare or Belden depending on your selection. They recommend the 5000 series for in-wall, though I found it semi-stiff if you need to get it around tight bends. It is thin for the AWG though. At 50ft, probably 14AWG is enough, but 12 makes sure you never have to think about it again for sure. 10AWG is overkill.

H

Hellcommute

Enthusiast
Tip for the diy'er: :cool:

Your local electrical wholesaler will sell to the general public if you buy a case of bulk cable. Usually in 500 or 1000ft spools. Cat5, rg6, speaker cable etc. They can get almost anything too if something in particular is the aim.

The savings make it worthwhile to check out vs the local home improvement store or online with shipping.

Rowdy S13

Rowdy S13

Audioholic Chief
A what point should you go from 12 gauge to 10 gauge speaker cable in an instal?

Thanks,
Sean

Rowdy S13

Rowdy S13

Audioholic Chief
Thank you both! Especially j_garcia for going the extra mile and getting fancy with the link :)

Sean

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Thank you both! Especially j_garcia for going the extra mile and getting fancy with the link :)

Sean
He just dug deeper into the link to point to the exact page.

Do yourself a favor and read the whole thing when you have time, very educational.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yep, I've totally read the whole thing before. Great stuff.

M

michaeltrottar

Banned
I haven't used any other sound wires from them. HDMI from them is high quality as well.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis