Bulding system , True 4k whats needed , speed .wired ,wireless ect

S

Steve M

Junior Audioholic
Bulding system .and freind said to get a amazon fie box to get true 4k and make shore my download speed is 15 or more or it will not be true 4k

Do i need 15 mps down load to get true 4 k from streaming net flicks ect ,
my speed is 6 mps download nd 1 up load
Will my Marantz 8802a do what a fire box does and remedy this or my oppo blue ray i am gettinmg ready to order or do i need to make room in rack for this device as i have to order that also

I have cable internet but no big name company due to where i live and cable box is huge
Wireless or wired
I am wireless now and have a net gear 750 router up stairs and a wireless bridge down stairs that both tvs to stream wireless to get net flix ect now
we are pulling wire now so be great timie to adress this issue

I have cable comming in to cable box next to new system Can i plug in another modem and router next to new system to be hard wired ?

Last edited:
sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I've been planning for a 4K upgrade later this year (so far my 9y/o 8000 series Samsung 1080P refuses to die :D) so I've been doing a lot of research. According to Netflix, for 4K Ultra your internet connection needs to be able to maintain a steady 25Mb/s, more if you plan to support multiple TVs streaming at the same time. I can't speak to wireless because I ran Ethernet to all but my laptop and tablets, those run off 1200Mb/s 802.11ac. My 4K laptop does play 4K Youtube videos pretty well over my WiFi.

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/13444

I have played with several media players and unless you're particularly enamored with FireTV's interface (I hate it) I'd look for other solutions. I find Roku's interface much more user-friendly and the latest flagship Roku Ultra is supposed to support all of the latest 4K implementations. Unfortunately, the 5-second delay between the start of a video and the start of the accompanying audio drives me nuts (but less so than the Fire's interface), although the Roku's audio/video sync is perfectly fine. I'm looking forward to trying out an Nvidia Shield TV.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
As sholling mentioned above - Per Netflix:
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/306
  • [*]3.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for SD quality
    [*]5.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for HD quality
    [*]25 Megabits per second - Recommended for Ultra HD quality
So your home internet of 6mbps is barely enough for decent HD (but a far cry from what is needed for 4k Streaming. This is irrelevant of home equipment.

Generally I've found that good quality 100mbps connection is sufficient to stream BluRay over home network. 4k Bluray goes upto 128Mbps bitrate for 100gb disks. Plan accordingly.

As for home WiFi I've found that a single, well placed Asus RT-AC66U wifi router does better job (much more stable is more important than reported speeds - trust me on this) than, a not as well placed two in a extended network config, for my 3200sq ft 2 stories house with full sized basement.

Last edited:
S

Steve M

Junior Audioholic
whe n i run speed test i get 6 now ,i can upgrade to 25mbps but thats the limit of the provider and i can not go to another provider so i will do that

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis