Building new DIY speakers

H

Haaspac

Audioholic
So I live in Germany at the moment and two co-workers and I are going to make myself a birthday present. We are building the Visaton Experience V20 towers and I will ship them back home before I leave.

http://www.visaton.de/en/bauvorschlaege/3_wege/experience_v20/index.html
http://www.upgrade-sound.com/downloads/Project_Experience_V20.pdf

Two 8" woofers, two 5" mid-ranges, and a 1" tweeter per tower.

He tells me these babies will be absolutely incredible when finished. We are using some special kind of real wood for the cabinets that will be 25mm(1in) thick walls. We will do high gloss piano black for the front and regular black finish for the sides. No fabric covers for the fronts. They will weigh in at about 120lbs per tower. I think we will also be doing a matching center channel also.

I will take lots of pictures when we start building here in a week or 2 when the cones and crossover arrives.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
sweet. I`ll be especially interested in hearing your impressions compared to the EMP impressions :eek:

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Not at all - the statements are a very high quality design :)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
is that bad? being reminded of statements?
it's not bad, mere mildly amusing to see a very similar setup. Statements are probably one of the best DIY speakers (in it's budget category) out there

H

Haaspac

Audioholic
One of the co-workers thats helping owns an antique furniture restoration company on the side with a small CNC wood mill in the back. We programmed the cabinets in the computer and the mill did the rest. Did a little smoothing sanding where the front baffle glues to the rest of the cabinet. We now decided to make the walls 41mm thick with an oak veneer .5mm covering that we can paint or stain for the sides and back, but I think we are still sticking with high gloss piano black for the front. We are using some kind of special glue for the baffles that he said is what is used for campers when they glue the roof on or something. Some extremely adhesive thick glue. These things will be tanks. Since I'm 6 hours ahead of EST I'm going to bed. If we work on them tomorrow I will bring my camera this time for some snapshots. Cones and x-overs will be arriving sometime this week, then its about 1-2 weeks until they are finished. I hope they blow my socks off.

H

Haaspac

Audioholic

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

They are coming along nicely. The CNC mill did fantastic work. Also one question. These will be 4 ohm towers. Will my reciever be able to power these? Or no and I'll have to burn some cash on a emotiva XPA-2?

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
These will be 4 ohm towers. Will my reciever be able to power these? Or no and I'll have to burn some cash on a emotiva XPA-2?
You mean VTX-21TXH ? It can be switched to 6 ohm mode, but not explicitly rated or mentioned to support 4Ohm speakers.
Some generic info could be found here:
http://www.audioholics.com/education/frequently-asked-questions/connecting-4-ohm-speakers-to-an-8-ohm-receiver-or-amplifier

For your case - mid-level receiver and low sensitivity speaker - you'd be better offer getting a separate amp.
It doesn't have to be XPA-2 , UPA-2 is on sale and rated at 185Wpc into 4ohm.
It will be pretty loud, but if you want to kick it up a notch - this will almost double the volume from upa2:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XLS1500/

H

Haaspac

Audioholic
Perusing the amp selection at Sweetwater I found even more powerful amps than the crown for the same price or even less. I don't really know too much about amps besides "parasound and rotel amps are nice and very expensive" Is there a reason to buy a Class D amp rather than a Class A/B or something like the emotiva. Also is there a reason behind company A's 500w per channel amp is $400 and company B's 500w per channel amp is $700, or are you just paying more money for absolutely no reason at all? What I'll probably end up doing is just giving my dad my emp impressions stuff and pioneer reciever for christmas, and look at getting myself some seperates. We are also building a center channel to match the towers and I think that will also be 4ohms. No reason to keep the 7.1 reciever if its only powering 2 rear channels and the sub.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Perusing the amp selection at Sweetwater I found even more powerful amps than the crown for the same price or even less. I don't really know too much about amps besides "parasound and rotel amps are nice and very expensive" Is there a reason to buy a Class D amp rather than a Class A/B or something like the emotiva. Also is there a reason behind company A's 500w per channel amp is $400 and company B's 500w per channel amp is $700, or are you just paying more money for absolutely no reason at all? What I'll probably end up doing is just giving my dad my emp impressions stuff and pioneer reciever for christmas, and look at getting myself some seperates. We are also building a center channel to match the towers and I think that will also be 4ohms. No reason to keep the 7.1 reciever if its only powering 2 rear channels and the sub.
I'm not going to talk about the difference b'ween AB class and D since I know very little about it , but I'd like to point you to few things, both are RARE sight on pro amps
A) The pro amp I linked has unbalanced (aka RCA) inputs. White it's possible to convert unbalanced to balanced sometimes it's creates additional issues.
b) According to one very knowledgeable member it's fan is temp controlled - ie it will be silent for the most part. None-temp controlled fan on most pro amps would be way too loud for home use and had to be diy swapped for quieter one

As for regarding your 7.1 receiver - Don't underestimate proper Subwoofer bass management - not commonly found on stereo separates.

H

Haaspac

Audioholic

update: We decided the boxes we had weren't going to cut it for a professional looking job. We had too much sanding to do, so we chose to do it with 19mm thick mdf instead. We are milling out and gluing the new boxes this week. The guy I am doing this with is going to keep the old boxes for himself to run tests with other speaker cones he is going to buy.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
update: We decided the boxes we had weren't going to cut it for a professional looking job. We had too much sanding to do, so we chose to do it with 19mm thick mdf instead. We are milling out and gluing the new boxes this week. The guy I am doing this with is going to keep the old boxes for himself to run tests with other speaker cones he is going to buy.
I never have to sand for speaker projects and I use a circular saw/router. What was wrong with the boxes?

As far as power goes. There are many options out there. You might try out a chip amp. You can make your own box for it too if you so desire.;)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I never have to sand for speaker projects and I use a circular saw/router. What was wrong with the boxes?
He used press wood/particle board for the front baffle.
There's no way to get a decent finish on that.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis