Building basement theatre.

C

colinwoods84

Audioholic Intern
Hello all.

Starting to get ideas together for my basement theatre. I would like to run a 7.2 system with a projector. Let me begin with the room as it stands now:

I have 3 concrete walls and tile floor. I plan to frame in the walls and insulate. For the floor, my plan is to cut some thick foam padding and get a piece of carpet, wall to wall, which is bound so that I can roll it all up in the event of a storm. I live in Norfolk Virginia which we have a lot of water. Fortunately, I never see any water but in the even of heavy rain or hurricane, I can pull everything off the floor. the ceiling above is just floor joist. I plan to to insulate there as well and would love to hang drywall but I can't. I have a metal beam which is running through the middle of the room that I can't hang anything from. The back wall is where I will also frame in and hang a door to cut off the theatre from the rest of the basement.

Room dimensions are as follows. 19' X 14' depending on suggestions here, ill figure out ceiling height.

My ultimate goal here is to have the acoustics as great as I can.

My gear that I have currently is:

Ascend acoustics CMT-340 mains and center with the CBM 170 surrounds. I also have a maranta sr7007. Although older, I have not found a need to replace it yet. I also have 3 Samson 1800 series pro amps. Do I even need to use these?

any help here or suggestions of gear would be much appreciated. Look forward to discussing with you guys,.

Colin

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Your plan looks good to me. Good speakers, good AVR, and the amps will work well too. They will help keep heat out of the AVR and this will allow it to last longer. Rather than acoustics, you should think about light treatment. Use dark color paints, and light absorbent textures. Get that contrast ratio up as high as you can. You might think about some home theater curtains like this:

That will help with acoustics and light control simultaneously. It also looks swank for your theater. Consider doing that with triple plush black velvet. Also notice how the ceiling is painted black- this is very good for raising picture contrast. Use dark color carpeting or rugs.

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
I personally built out my basement into a dedicated home theater in our old house. My journey is more or less documented through my threads on these forums. I started in 2003 and it took me about 9 months on night/weekends (before kids).

Look though my old posts and ask with any specific questions.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis