Building a shallow box for in ceiling speakers?

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
I rent my house currently, so putting holes in the ceiling is a big no no. I'm running a 5.1.2 setup and am currently using polk owm3's attached to the ceiling as height speakers. They work, but they really leave much to be desired. I am using a klipsch reference setup currently so am considering placing klipsch in ceiling speakers into a diy box and attaching keyhole mounts to it. Would this work? Any tips on how to make this work well?

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I rent my house currently, so putting holes in the ceiling is a big no no. I'm running a 5.1.2 setup and am currently using polk owm3's attached to the ceiling as height speakers. They work, but they really leave much to be desired. I am using a klipsch reference setup currently so am considering placing klipsch in ceiling speakers into a diy box and attaching keyhole mounts to it. Would this work? Any tips on how to make this work well?

Since you'll need to use screws for the keyhole mounts anyway, you might as well just screw the box to the ceiling, or someone will be wearing a speaker as a hat.

You can do that, but the bass response won't be great. Klipsch may have info about the recommended box size, or you could use some kind of box speaker that can be mounted to a surface.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai

I'd bet the in-ceiling speakers you're considering are tuned for infinite baffle with no baffle step, so putting them in external enclosures will change the tweeter tuning. You might consider @roadrune's Overnight Sensations Atmos speaker mod instead. Or you could build the angled Volt-6 (measurements of the similarly-voiced Volt-10 | ceiling mount example).

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
I'd bet the in-ceiling speakers you're considering are tuned for infinite baffle with no baffle step, so putting them in external enclosures will change the tweeter tuning. You might consider @roadrune's Overnight Sensations Atmos speaker mod instead. Or you could build the angled Volt-6 (measurements of the similarly-voiced Volt-10 | ceiling mount example).
These are exactly what I was looking for and in my price range, thanks! I'm thinking the atmos flat pack will work best. I don't need deep bass from the atmos speakers, the polks are already crossed over at 120hz.

Any idea if the 6" version will stand up to reference volume in a 12x20 room? The 10" seems a bit too heavy to be hanging from a drywall ceiling with walldog type screws, while hearing a plane crash come from above is incredibly immersive, having objects actually come crashing down and hit you in the head is not :). The speakers are only about 6' from the MLP.

Last edited:
rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
These are exactly what I was looking for and in my price range, thanks! I'm thinking the atmos flat pack will work best. I don't need deep bass from the atmos speakers, the polks are already crossed over at 120hz.

Any idea if the 6" version will stand up to reference volume in a 12x20 room? The 10" seems a bit too heavy to be hanging from a drywall ceiling with walldog type screws, while hearing a plane crash come from above is incredibly immersive, having objects actually come crashing down and hit you in the head is not :). The speakers are only about 6' from the MLP.
They use a compression tweeter, so I imagine they're pretty sensitive. (Edit: Yeah, the DIYSG website lists their sensitivity as 93dB @2.83V / 1m.) I think the compression tweet ought to offer a reasonably close match in behavior to your Klipsch reference horn tweets.

Are you going to post a build thread when you get them?

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis