Budget Sub Help/Comparison

R

raezo

Audioholic Intern
Go back in the menu for sub selection - and try
setting it to, LFE + Main

Also, are the speakers set to small or large, and what is the
crossover setting in the receiver?
LFE+Main shows the SW on the display now. Speakers set to large for front and surround, center off. Crossover is at 80z. Still no sub action. I can hear it if i turn the gain up.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
LFE+Main shows the SW on the display now. Speakers set to large for front and surround, center off. Crossover is at 80z. Still no sub action. I can hear it if i turn the gain up.
Set the front and surround speakers to small

Also under channel levels, how is the subwoofer volume set?

Last edited:
agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
As said earlier, set all speakers to small while leaving crossover at 80Hz.

On the subwoofer, set to gain to be half way between max and min. Leave Phase at 0.

Rerun Audessy auto setup. This will set the distance and levels. Verify that speakers are set to small since Audessy will most likely set the Main L,R to Large. Now, you should be good to go.

Last edited:
R

raezo

Audioholic Intern
Ok so all speakers were set to small, cross is 80hz, phase at 0, sub gain set to half volume. Sub is at 15db on the avr. Went through the calibration process and never heard the sub after all 6 rounds in the setup. Still no sound from the sub. I have the sub hooked through the white side of the rca. I tried the red also, even tried another rca cord. I will note that even though i dont have the red side plugged, i can hear a little noise coming from the sub. I'm not sure what else to do.

I welcome anymore suggestions. I wonder if denon offers tech support?

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Ok so all speakers were set to small, cross is 80hz, phase at 0, sub gain set to half volume. Sub is at 15db on the avr. Went through the calibration process and never heard the sub after all 6 rounds in the setup. Still no sound from the sub. I have the sub hooked through the white side of the rca. I tried the red also, even tried another rca cord. I will note that even though i dont have the red side plugged, i can hear a little noise coming from the sub. I'm not sure what else to do.

I welcome anymore suggestions. I wonder if denon offers tech support?
These questions may be silly or dumb - however, >

Are you hooked to the actual Sub pre-out on the AVR, or did you plug
to SW-in on the AVR?

Also, what type of RCA cable are you using - is it 75 ohm coaxial/digital?

Also, I would not start with a 15db gain on the AVR

R

raezo

Audioholic Intern
These questions may be silly or dumb - however, >

Are you hooked to the actual Sub pre-out on the AVR, or did you plug
to SW-in on the AVR?

Also, what type of RCA cable are you using - is it 75 ohm coaxial/digital?

Also, I would not start with a 15db gain on the AVR
There are no silly questions for me, I am probably missing something simple here. This is just a generic red/white rca cable from amazon. I've had it for a while never used it. it was 25ft for like 5 bucks so its probably nothing special. The 15 DB setting is under the EXT IN setting on the AVR. I really dont even know if that applies to the pre out because i see an ext in bay on the back of the AVR

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
There are no silly questions for me, I am probably missing something simple here. This is just a generic red/white rca cable from amazon. I've had it for a while never used it. it was 25ft for like 5 bucks so its probably nothing special. The 15 DB setting is under the EXT IN setting on the AVR. I really dont even know if that applies to the pre out because i see an ext in bay on the back of the AVR
Look at the picture - do you have one wire hooked at the bottom,
where it says sub pre-out. Do not use ext-in.

Go into the speaker set-up menu, and move the sub volume down
to around +2 db to start - just for the fun of it.

Attachments

R

raezo

Audioholic Intern
Look at the picture - do you have one wire hooked at the bottom,
where it says sub pre-out. Do not use ext-in.

Go into the speaker set-up menu, and move the sub volume down
to around +2 db to start - just for the fun of it.
yep im plugged into the pre-out slot. I put it on +2, im running calibration again. Still no sub sound

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
yep im plugged into the pre-out slot. I put it on +2, im running calibration again. Still no sub sound
What source are you listening to, music or movies?
Are you playing stereo, surround or direct.

It is possible that you have a problem with the sub
pre-out on the receiver - or a bad subwoofer amp.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
This is another way to test and see if the sub amp is working.
Hook-up your RCA red and white cables from a blu-ray player
or CD palyer, to the inputs on the subwoofer. Only worry about
going from the player to the sub. Then put some CD music on,
and test to see if the sub is putting out some sound/working.

And, here is a Batpig Denon dictionary
http://batpigworld.com/setup.html

Last edited:
R

raezo

Audioholic Intern
What source are you listening to, music or movies?
Are you playing stereo, surround or direct.

It is possible that you have a problem with the sub
pre-out on the receiver - or a bad subwoofer amp.
5 channel stereo, music. Tomorrow im going to take the sub and hook it up to my parents receiver since i know everything is kosher with there setup

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
5 channel stereo, music. Tomorrow im going to take the sub and hook it up to my parents receiver since i know everything is kosher with there setup
How is the rest of your system hooked up - what connections are you using?

R

raezo

Audioholic Intern
How is the rest of your system hooked up - what connections are you using?
I have two speakers connected to front A and two speakers hooked into surround. I have optical cable running to my video from TV on the AVR.

Just took the woofer downstairs and all I got was a humm. I brought my parents Klipsch and tested on my amp. Works fine. How is A4L with returns?

R

raezo

Audioholic Intern
Look here for return info

Returns
Return of Defective Items
Accessories4less allows you to return defective merchandise within 30 days of your purchase date. Please follow instructions above for "All Return Require Prior Authorization". Merchandise found to be non-defective may be subject to a 15% restocking fee. Additional fees will be assessed for missing hardware. Credit to your card may take up to 30 days to post after processing. Shipping charges cannot be refunded. Returned merchandise must arrive no later than 7 days after we provide you with a Return Authorization Number.

How convenient!

Should I take a chance on this sub again? I am very skeptical now.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Return of Defective Items
Accessories4less allows you to return defective merchandise within 30 days of your purchase date. Please follow instructions above for "All Return Require Prior Authorization". Merchandise found to be non-defective may be subject to a 15% restocking fee. Additional fees will be assessed for missing hardware. Credit to your card may take up to 30 days to post after processing. Shipping charges cannot be refunded. Returned merchandise must arrive no later than 7 days after we provide you with a Return Authorization Number.

How convenient!

Should I take a chance on this sub again? I am very skeptical now.
Only you can make that decision - You may have gotten one bad apple,
in a barrel - Acoustic Energy is a good company. I wish/hoped that the
sub would have worked out - sorry about the problem.

However, there are still other options.

R

raezo

Audioholic Intern
Only you can make that decision - You may have gotten one bad apple,
in a barrel - Acoustic Energy is a good company. I wish/hoped that the
sub would have worked out - sorry about the problem.

However, there are still other options.
Any other suggestions? I see the price of the HSU went up.
$250-$350 range

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Last edited:
R

raezo

Audioholic Intern
I'm going to give the acoustic energy one more shot. I don't really know anything about all the numbers but its a great looking sub and the dual opposed woofers is really cool to me. I will say that when I pulled the cover off, the cone looked kind of cheap to me. That being said I'm only used to car audio subwoofers.

If this doesn't work then I'll move on to the cadence.

R

raezo

Audioholic Intern
Happy Holidays!

Just go the replacement sub in and hooked up. This one works! I have not ran the calibration yet. I wanted to check, my AVR has the crossover separate for all the speakers. Right now i have the Sub, Front and Back speakers all at 80hz, is that where it should be? Also how many decibels should i have the sub set at on the AVR? I have the phase at 0 and the volume on the sub at half.

I welcome any other setup suggestions as this is my first system i've ever setup. Thank you all for the advice/assistance!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis