Budget Small Room Setup

I

insbordnat

Enthusiast
I'm in the process of helping my Dad out with a small HT room. Low pile carpeted floors, 6' - 10' ceilings (they slope down), probably about a 15' by 15' dimension. Budget is $500 to $1000 (for speakers), but I'm sure he'd be most comfortable with a $500 - $750 target.

He saw that both HSU research and SVS have some packaged deals:

http://hometheatersound.com/equipment/hsu_research_ventriloquist_vt12_stf1.htm

http://www.hometheatersound.com/equipment/svs_sbs01.htm

I'm inclinded to steer him away from the speakers (not the sub) as my feeling is SVS and Hsu make good subwoofers, but there may be better speakers out there for a 5.1 setup. He'll probably match these with a decent Denon or Onkyo receiver.

SQ doesn't need to be totally stellar, and he'll be using these almost exclusively for movies/TV sources and not for music or other reference listening.

Any thoughts on some inexpensive fronts and rears? Any opinions of the PB-10NSD or will the STF-1 do ok in that room?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

A

angstadt530

Audioholic
I don't have any personal experience with it, but the SVS package has received nothing but stellar reviews around the internet. See my earlier post: http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?p=246801#post246801

From what I gather, the system is ideal for movies, which would be a great choice for your father, especially considering the dimensions of the room. Lastly, this system has tremendous value considering the sub alone is worth $429.

I think the SVS system as a whole would be the better choice over the HSU system, but again, I cannot speak from experience. Check out the reviews I mention in the above link and I think you'll be convinced. Getting a decent Denon or Onkyo receiver (consider Yamaha as well, the RX-V659 is quite the machine and can be found for ~$325 on the internet) like you mentioned and a good upconverting DVD player from Oppo, Denon, etc. will definitely complete the package.

One more note: if your dad wants to save a couple hundred, he could alway go for the Onix X-LS package from AV123. Still, I'd personally rather spend the extra cash and get the SVS system. Either way, he'll be happy!

jinjuku

jinjuku

I'm in the process of helping my Dad out with a small HT room. Low pile carpeted floors, 6' - 10' ceilings (they slope down), probably about a 15' by 15' dimension. Budget is $500 to $1000 (for speakers), but I'm sure he'd be most comfortable with a $500 - $750 target.

He saw that both HSU research and SVS have some packaged deals:

http://hometheatersound.com/equipment/hsu_research_ventriloquist_vt12_stf1.htm

http://www.hometheatersound.com/equipment/svs_sbs01.htm

I'm inclinded to steer him away from the speakers (not the sub) as my feeling is SVS and Hsu make good subwoofers, but there may be better speakers out there for a 5.1 setup. He'll probably match these with a decent Denon or Onkyo receiver.

SQ doesn't need to be totally stellar, and he'll be using these almost exclusively for movies/TV sources and not for music or other reference listening.

Any thoughts on some inexpensive fronts and rears? Any opinions of the PB-10NSD or will the STF-1 do ok in that room?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
I don't know if this will help:

I just picked up a BIC DV 62-CLRS MTM for a center channel. $102 shipped. Unfortunately for me, I A/B'd it against my PSB Century 500i (about 11 years old).

The BIC images really nicely. Listening to acoustic guitar pieces, the BIC even images the steel string slapping the fret on the fret board. Something my PSB's don't.

The 500i is a two way tweeter/ 8" woofer. The bass between both was about a draw with the two 6" woofers on the BIC being a bit more accurate.

Scary that this is coming from a ~$100 speaker. I have popped out the driver and checked out the inside and the build quality is solid.

You could get three of the DV 62 CLR-S, plus two of the DV62si (~$100/pair)plus a sub: Cadence-x Series, BIC H100 (which is a HSU Research design), or the Elemental Designs A2-250. You would be at ~$740 for such a setup. You will need another ~$160 for stands/mounts after all that.

I am really impressed with the BIC...

I

insbordnat

Enthusiast
Thanks...

I'll take a look at these options. Just wondering though, would you not get the AV123 package (solely the X-LS speakers) and pitch the AV123 sub in favor of the HSU STF-1? I guess you get a decent price break with the whole AV123 package (which includes a center channel).

Or, perhaps match the HSU STF-1 with 4 Paradigm Atom Monitors and a separate center?

If it were me, I'd probably go with the SVS (I'm a proud owner of a PB-12 Plus/2).

I admit, I need to look at the specs of each speaker. And stands appear to also add additional cost (of course). But I'm curious about company reputation, SQ, and quality of materials/build.

Oh, and jinjuku, I will take a look at the BIC speakers too.

Again, thanks for your help!!!

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
The SVS system is excellent for HT use. I highly recommend it. :D:D:D

I have heard the HSU speakers and don't care for them. I would not recommend them with all the other choices in speakers at the same price point.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Svs 5.1

SVS has their 5.1 system in white and silver on sale for for $800. Should be a great option in your prince range. The AV123 X-series speakers would also work well with an SVS or HSU sub.

A

angstadt530

Audioholic
I have heard the HSU speakers and don't care for them.
Mazer, just out of curiosity, are you refering to the HSU HB-1 Horns, the Ventriloquist system, or both? The HB-1 has been getting some pretty decent reviews, especially with HT use, so I was just wondering what your impressions of them were.

A

angstadt530

Audioholic
SVS has their 5.1 system in white and silver on sale for for $800. Should be a great option in your prince range. The AV123 X-series speakers would also work well with an SVS or HSU sub.
Oh yeah, that's right, I forgot about that. That's a real sweet deal. Shoot, if it were me I'd definitely jump on that.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Mazer, just out of curiosity, are you refering to the HSU HB-1 Horns, the Ventriloquist system, or both? The HB-1 has been getting some pretty decent reviews, especially with HT use, so I was just wondering what your impressions of them were.
HB-1 Horns

I didn't audition them with HT use. My auditioning was music only, and I was not impressed.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis