Budget reciever for Infinity p363

R

ridfighter

Audioholic Intern
Hi Everyone,

I just bought the Infinity primus p363 towers and Pc-351 center and p-163 bookshelves, Right now i have a very basic yet new denon AVR-391, The specs for this is:

5.1-channel home theater receiver/amplifier with 375 watts of total power (5 x 75W)
3D-enabled HDMI pass-through technology (HDMI 1.4a); all sources are up-converted to HDMI
High-definition audio support--Dolby TruHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, and Dolby Pro Logic IIz for front height effects channels

I need to upgrade my reciever as i know this is not powerfull enough to drive the Infinities, my criterea is, It has to be around $400 and less, need 4 HDMI INPUTS and i need ipod interface and auddessey multi eq(or something similer), and also i just ordered a bad *** sub: SVS PB-12NSD, so it has to match this BIG sub and my powerhungry Infinities!!I like Denons, but i am open to suggestions, also Audioholic rated this as 4ohm speakers but harman says that it is 8 ohm, what reciever should i get? I really appreciate your help

Last edited by a moderator:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi Everyone,

I just bought the Infinity primus p363 towers and Pc-351 center and p-163 bookshelves, Right now i have a very basic yet new denon AVR-391, The specs for this is:

5.1-channel home theater receiver/amplifier with 375 watts of total power (5 x 75W)
3D-enabled HDMI pass-through technology (HDMI 1.4a); all sources are up-converted to HDMI
High-definition audio support--Dolby TruHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, and Dolby Pro Logic IIz for front height effects channels

I need to upgrade my reciever as i know this is not powerfull enough to drive the Infinities, my criterea is, It has to be around $400 and less, need 4 HDMI INPUTS and i need ipod interface and auddessey multi eq(or something similer), and also i just ordered a bad *** sub: SVS PB-12NSD, so it has to match this BIG sub and my powerhungry Infinities!!I like Denons, but i am open to suggestions, also Audioholic rated this as 4ohm speakers but harman says that it is 8 ohm, what reciever should i get? I really appreciate your help

Could you tell us the dimensions of your room and SPL you typically listen to? Assuming your room is small to medium size (by THX standards) and you don't listen at SPL that in the long run would damage your hearing, the AVR-1712 or 1912 should be fine for the P363 and fit your budget. Recently I bought a 1912, not for myself but I set it up. I found it an amazing product for the price.

If you don't need the network gadgets and Airplay, the 1712 is actually better because it sports Audyssey MultiEQ XT that should do a better job calibrating your sub. Few AVRs will claim 4 ohm capable but your P363 is rated 8 ohms nominal anyway. That is a loose term and used liberally by most manufacturers. While it is true the 363 dip below 5 ohms between the 100 to 375 Hz range, it also seem to have 2 to 3 dB peaks in that range on the frequency response plot so I don't think they are that hard to drive. I used to have a pair of 362 in my room and found them easy enough to drive and sound good. The 1712 and 1912 are getting difficult to find now so you may want to move quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

ridfighter

Audioholic Intern
I live in a Lshaped 950 sf apartment on the gorund floor

B

BenderRodriguez

Audiophyte
I have the Harmon/Kardon AVR1600, and it has performed admirably and if you aren't in a hurry BestBuy seems to have it on sale once a month for up to 50% off.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis