Budget Onkyo or Denon receiver. Do either allow you to stream music from an iOS device?

B

bellevegasj

Junior Audioholic
As the title says, I'm looking for an inexpensive receiver... sub $500 if possible. Something that will allow me to stream music, adjust volume etc from an an iOS device. Do either offer anything like this? I'm listing these brands because they appear to have quite a few features on their lower end models.

W

wtrimble

Junior Audioholic
check out this:

Pioneer VSX-1022-K

Has streaming capabilities and has a IOs app you can control the receiver with.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Don't ever buy a budget Onkyo. A custom installer/dealer friend of mind thinks if you buy Onkyo, buy only the upper end models, which is like the 800s & up.

For lower end models, stick to Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, HK.

A

allargon

Audioholic General
Don't ever buy a budget Onkyo. A custom installer/dealer friend of mind thinks if you buy Onkyo, buy only the upper end models, which is like the 800s & up.

For lower end models, stick to Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, HK.
The budget Onkyo's require a separate adapter for Airplay and/or Bluetooth. Bluetooth is relatively new. A lot of models (especially Denon's) have built-in airplay.

HK doesn't have built in Airplay. They have a clunky iPOD/iPhone bridge on their older models. Their newest models (1700/2700/3700) have airplay. They have a non-proprietary module for Bluetooth that converts the Bluetooth stream to stereo analog to feed into RCA inputs.

The one saving grace about Onkyo's receivers is that you're not stuck paying for Airplay if you're an Android/Blackberry/Windows/non-IOS user. Otherwise I would follow AcuDefTechGuy's advice and stay about from Onkyo AND NAD.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis