Roen

Audioholic
I currently have:
Yamaha RX-A660
L/R Ascend Sierra-2's

I will be getting
Center Ascend Sierra-2
PSA S1500

I'm trying to pick the best timbre-matched satellites for the Sierra-2's without spending Sierra-2 money. Any recommendations?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
The NHT SuperZero is a small inexpensive speaker with a neutral sounding overall balance. They can be excellent as rear channel speakers. I'd guess that they would not be a mismatch with your Ascend speakers which share an overall neutral balance.

The SuperZeros are small enough to easily hang, with the appropriate brackets, from walls.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The Ascend HTM-200 is also fairly inexpensive and compact. Even the CBM-170SEs might work. You are not going to find a perfectly timbre matched, small, inexpensive surround to those. The good news is matching the surrounds 100% isn't necessary. YES it makes a difference to match them IMO, but with surrounds it is much easier to get away with.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think the 200SE would work fine. There's the new baby Sierra-2, forget what it's called, but that's sort of pricy as well from what I remember....doesn't seem to be on the site as an available choice yet in any case.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
This is just a stab in the dark, but would Dennis' center work with the Sierras? I ask because of his work with Ascend and the similarities between their speakers

*Edit: Just saw the price tag on that baby. ~$800. That's more than I thought.

Roen

Roen

Audioholic
Lol, the Center I'm looking at will probably be around the same.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
This is just a stab in the dark, but would Dennis' center work with the Sierras? I ask because of his work with Ascend and the similarities between their speakers

*Edit: Just saw the price tag on that baby. ~$800. That's more than I thought.
FWIW Dennis Murphy works with Jim Salk a lot; David Fabrikant of Ascend has a relationship with Curtis Chang for the Wave Crest HVL-1, tho.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
FWIW Dennis Murphy works with Jim Salk a lot; David Fabrikant of Ascend has a relationship with Curtis Chang for the Wave Crest HVL-1, tho.
Crap. I always confuse Ascend with Salk for some reason. I hate making myself look like an idiot, but appreciate the correction. o_O

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That Phil center is also made by Salk (I believe most of Dennis's cabinets are too :) )

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
one more to add to the fire: Wavecrest - they are small, inexpensive, made in collaboration with founder of Ascend and like it was mentioned above - probably fine for surround duties.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Right--I don't think Dave needs any help in the crossover department. If the Luna isn't available yet and/or it's too expensive, I do have a mini-monitor surround with the RAAL tweeter for around $700/pr. But I think you might be surprised at how well the little NHT satellites do for much less money.

Roen

Roen

Audioholic
one more to add to the fire: Wavecrest - they are small, inexpensive, made in collaboration with founder of Ascend and like it was mentioned above - probably fine for surround duties.
I talked to Curtis and he recommends the 170 or the 200 from Ascend.

Roen

Roen

Audioholic
Right--I don't think Dave needs any help in the crossover department. If the Luna isn't available yet and/or it's too expensive, I do have a mini-monitor surround with the RAAL tweeter for around $700/pr. But I think you might be surprised at how well the little NHT satellites do for much less money.
NHT or 170SE? Both are in my price range.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
NHT or 170SE? Both are in my price range.
One thing to notice about 170SE is they are rear ported, which not ideal to put very close to wall.
NHT's both SuperZero and SuperOne are sealed units, specifically acoustic suspension design, which could actually benefit being close to wall.

Unless you intend to use speaker stands then it's a wash from that perspective.

Roen

Roen

Audioholic
One thing to notice about 170SE is they are rear ported, which not ideal to put very close to wall.
NHT's both SuperZero and SuperOne are sealed units, specifically acoustic suspension design, which could actually benefit being close to wall.

Unless you intend to use speaker stands then it's a wash from that perspective.
Thanks for that, I didn't realize the NHT's were sealed.

That being said, $60 best buy stands, here I come!

Roen

Roen

Audioholic
Where can I find the mini-monitors on your website?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis