mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
What is next to be bought up?
Then there was none.

C

class a

Junior Audioholic
It's tough for small companies to compete w/the constant changes and new products coming to market. R&D costs money. Very hard for a 35 person operation to keep up. I own a Conrad Johnson ET3 SE preamp. The company is small w/only 15 employees. Lew Johnson passed away and Bill Conrad is over 80 in not so great health. Unless they have a plan they may be on the list to disappear.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Big companies want the name brand and customer base. Small companies want to survive. In this day and age of big business, this is how that happens. In many cases, it isn't a bad thing today. The parent hopefully leaves the small company to do it's thing and business as usual happens.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
The entire semiconductor industry is right in the middle of mass consolidation right now too!

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Big companies want the name brand and customer base. Small companies want to survive. In this day and age of big business, this is how that happens. In many cases, it isn't a bad thing today. The parent hopefully leaves the small company to do it's thing and business as usual happens.
I was a brown goods (TV, AV electronics buyer) for Silo, a regional competitor to Circuit City, BB back in the early 90s...still the CRT era, but the 1st gen HDTVs were on the horizon, and flat screen TVs were being talked about back then.

Samsung sees the TV industry slowing down...4k is not doing to the TV industry what 1080p did. Samsung is expanding into other areas where they have some synergy, and put some of their resources there. To your point in bold...I hope you're right. The concern I would have is Samsung trying to grow Harman outside of it core customer base and bastardizing the brand.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
TV segment is slowing down, but mobile is still growing - phones mainly, laptops, tablets segment is consistent but flat not growth. 4K is an improvement IMO, but the average consumer doesn't really want or truly need it.

2channel lover

TV segment is slowing down, but mobile is still growing - phones mainly, laptops, tablets segment is consistent but flat not growth. 4K is an improvement IMO, but the average consumer doesn't really want or truly need it.
4k didn't get the network support that HD got and if not for the govt mandate, who knows if the networks (some of which still broadcast in 720) would have jumped on board. That made it purely a "want to" purchase for many buyers.

Mobile may still be growing, but technology, they have to be pushing the brink...if so, the pricing will come down and margins with it....Hifi took a big dip with the recession but has been on the uptick...that makes sense.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
4k didn't get the network support that HD got and if not for the govt mandate, who knows if the networks (some of which still broadcast in 720) would have jumped on board. That made it purely a "want to" purchase for many buyers.

Mobile may still be growing, but technology, they have to be pushing the brink...if so, the pricing will come down and margins with it....Hifi took a big dip with the recession but has been on the uptick...that makes sense.
Samsung acquired Harman because they are the market leader in car/mobile phone integration technology. The hardware and software in some 30 million cars and counting, are a Harman product.

Samsung also just unveiled gargantuan displays for commercial movie theaters abroad, Harman's acoustic consultants are responsible for how every seat (except the front row, which is being worked to correct) hears the same sound. But this is beginning in Asia and will take time to reach us.

2channel lover

Samsung acquired Harman because they are the market leader in car/mobile phone integration technology. The hardware and software in some 30 million cars and counting, are a Harman product.

Samsung also just unveiled gargantuan displays for commercial movie theaters abroad, Harman's acoustic consultants are responsible for how every seat (except the front row, which is being worked to correct) hears the same sound. But this is beginning in Asia and will take time to reach us.
Interesting...I learned something new.

S

Stebono

Audiophyte
Actually Harman is a leading manufacture in Pro Audio and has been a leader in that field well before car audio, Crown Amplifiers among other stuff they build are superb and priced well. A/R is also another great resource to absorb by Samsung I hope they don't mess things up though and spread too thin, I certainly don't want to lose Harman as a goto brand.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis