Bring Your Own Device

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
I need a cell phone for work. They have provided me with an Iphone 3gs (?) which is fine. But, I want to make it my 'own' phone by adding a bluetooth/handsfree and maybe downloading a Pandora app.

The bluetooth/handsfree would be at my expense and if leave the job or what ever, then I'm stuck with a BT/HF unit and no phone.

I have found a service called Republic Wireless, https://republicwireless.com/
that would be perfect, but their only phone is $299.00. You can't use an existing phone only the Moto X the offer.

So, my question is, does anyone know of a bring your own device service that has cheap and reliable service?
By cheap, I mean no more than $25.00 a month. I only need calling. Maybe text. Despite 'wanting' the Pandora app./data, it's not a necessity.

Thanks.

Barry

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Barry,

I'm a bit confused. Do you need to get a separate service contract for personal use of your work phone now, are you planning on using a new personal phone for work, or are you asking for some future possibility? If it's for the future, I'd wait and ask if/when it happens, as cell phone plans and prices change fairly often.

BT headsets are pretty inexpensive. I haven't tried a lot of them, but my personal favorites have been Plantronics Voyager models (I currently use a Voyager Legend). Good quality and comfortable fit. Those are single ear models and not for stereo listening. The stereo ones (and least the ones that I've used that fit into your ears) sound a bit odd when you're talking on the phone because you hear yourself kind of like how it sounds when you plug your ears with your fingers.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
Barry,

I'm a bit confused. Do you need to get a separate service contract for personal use of your work phone now, are you planning on using a new personal phone for work, or are you asking for some future possibility? If it's for the future, I'd wait and ask if/when it happens, as cell phone plans and prices change fairly often.

BT headsets are pretty inexpensive. I haven't tried a lot of them, but my personal favorites have been Plantronics Voyager models (I currently use a Voyager Legend). Good quality and comfortable fit. Those are single ear models and not for stereo listening. The stereo ones (and least the ones that I've used that fit into your ears) sound a bit odd when you're talking on the phone because you hear yourself kind of like how it sounds when you plug your ears with your fingers.
I apologize for not being more clear. Yeah, this won't help...

I asked my boss if I could give him $10-$20.00 a month to use the phone as a 'personal' (So my dad can get me when he needs me) phone as well as work. He said that wasn't necessary to pay him. And, that I could get a either a BT/Hf unit at my expense. He also said I could 'have' the phone after the two year contract (which he pays for now) expired, not sure when, but, I would then be responsible for any monthly fees.

So I'm thinking ahead. Looking at options. The is an Iphone 3 GS which I'm sure would be considered antiquated by some, but it suits my needs for now. I'm not a 'crackberry' type, meaning I'm not on my phone 24/7. I use it for work and emergencies.

Ok, soooo, I guess at this point I should focus on the BT/HF and be done until the contract ends.

WOW! The Plantronics are expensive. Hmm. I'm looking for cheap, :eek:. Just something good enough, and compatible with an Iphone, that I don't crash my truck when the office calls and I grab the phone. :)

Funny. I'm looking at a $600.00 subwoofer, but don't want to pay $40.00 a month for a cell phone... If anyone see's my priorities, please send them back to me. :eek:

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
WOW! The Plantronics are expensive. Hmm. I'm looking for cheap, :eek:.
Well, then...define "cheap." :) Seriously, it will help folks here who want to help you. If your criteria is "nothing over $20," then that's going to shrink the field.

There are a LOT of BT headsets our there. Just tons. You can go to Amazon and find the highest rated, least expensive set and get one of those. I think that the Voyager units are sturdy, have good performance, and provide a good value. That doesn't mean that you won't find something less expensive that does the same.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I have the plantronics M165 and I've been happy with it. I think it's a pretty good unit, and while not the be all end all in audio quality, the calls are clear and it even has pretty decent range. $35ish brand new, but I got it on a warehouse deal for like $29 for a like new unit.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis