Your first choice would be...? (in alpha order)

• Denon

Votes: 36 38.7%
  • Harmon Kardan

Votes: 10 10.8%
  • Marantz

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Onkyo

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Pioneer

Votes: 9 9.7%
  • Yamaha

Votes: 21 22.6%
  • Other (please post in replies)

Votes: 7 7.5%

• Total voters
Francious70

Francious70

Senior Audioholic
i like Onkyo, course, it's the only receiver I have experience with.

Paul

Bryguy

Bryguy

Audioholic
At this time I can't choose which brand I prefer due to I will always go with a quality brand with an exceptional reputation. Build quality and performance are always at the top of the chart. It will never just be brand name that gets the purchase. Bose is a top of the chart brand name but will never see one American cent from me.

Bryguy

rikmeister

rikmeister

Audioholic
kenwood is joining that elite group of others like scott and sherwood. THey need a

good kick you know where.

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
rikmeister said:
kenwood is joining that elite group of others like scott and sherwood. THey need a good kick you know where.
Actually, I was under the impression that Sherwood has slowly been making a comeback. I've read good things about their Newcastle line.

B

Bevan

Audioholic
No Nad? No Arcam? No Rotel?

none of the choices offered would i consider buying.(sorry,dont mean to offend anyone). maybe i'm predudiced living on this side of the atlantic, i dont know?

cheers

b

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
Bevan said:
I have a hard time taking something called Nad seriously. I get Beavis and Butthead's voices in my head going, "He said 'Nad.'" :D

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Shadow_Ferret said:
I have a hard time taking something called Nad seriously. I get Beavis and Butthead's voices in my head going, "He said 'Nad.'" :D
LOL (and I agree). It's the same with Rotel for me. When I hear Rotel I think of either Ronco or Popeil (remember the popeil pocket fisherman?). Ronco and Popeil are two purveyors of junk sold on QVC and late night infomercials.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Ronco = Mr. Microphone :)

MDS said:
LOL (and I agree). It's the same with Rotel for me. When I hear Rotel I think of either Ronco or Popeil (remember the popeil pocket fisherman?). Ronco and Popeil are two purveyors of junk sold on QVC and late night infomercials.
How can we forget? Does anyone remember the commercial with the dude in the back of the convertible trying to pick up chix with a Mr. Microphone?

Here's a great site that shows some of his junk over the years. I call it junk, but he's laughing all the way to the bank! :eek:

http://www.idfuel.com/popiel.php

B

Bevan

Audioholic
Hehe

it's funny the silly predudices we have agaist some brands. the brands i like i like because i've heard and been impressed by them(surely not the name or the look when it comes to nad), but some that i havent listened to, like yamaha, i would have a hard time taking seriously simply because i associate the name motorcycles and marine outboard engines. stupid i know.

i think my particular bent also reflects a music rather than ht priority. and while i may be wrong in what brands i believe focus more on the stereo performance of their av receivers(as opposed to the latest functionality and picture quality), i have formulated my opinions based, apart from demos, on thousands of hours reading online reviews.

now i'm most of you also spend about as much time reading about hifi/ht than actually listning/watching it, so i can only speculate that my unlikely nomination of nad,arcam and rotel must be due to my absolute priority of two channel audio in my ht setup, or to the fact that maybe we frequent different websites and read different magazines and so have either euro or americentric biases?

and i think once one has bought a certain brand, there is a tendency to thereforth be a bit blinkered, possibly out of fear of finding out we made a 'wrong' purchase decision.

b

M

msmith855

Junior Audioholic
Bevan said:
No Nad? No Arcam? No Rotel?

none of the choices offered would i consider buying.(sorry,dont mean to offend anyone). maybe i'm predudiced living on this side of the atlantic, i dont know?

cheers

b
Certainly, there are other brands which are as high in quality (or perhaps even higher depending on your opinion) than the ones specifically mentioned, I was only trying my best to pick out the ones which are most commonly referred to in here as being "the best of the best" at least as far as the price ranges most of us can afford. Considering only 7 out of 120 votes selected the "other" option I don't think I was too far off base on that.

M

msmith855

Junior Audioholic
Oh, and it looks like Denon and Yamaha clearly speak for themselves in terms of loyal followings... interesting....

B

Bevan

Audioholic
Ya, seems denon and yamaha are cleaning up.

i wonder though, how many voters use av receivers and how many two channel amps?

i'll concede that denon and yamaha are extremely competitive and certainly popular as far as av receivers go, but i think if we took a poll for music only brands the results might be different?

it seems to me a strange discrepancy that companies in the far east that lead the pack in high tech electronics fall short in the analogue domain. i mean we would all love a sony sacd player but never dream of buying their speakers...

maybe i'm just the lone voice of european 2-channel dissent here....

ahh well, goto go,

b

El Toro

El Toro

Audioholic Intern
I have had equipment from most of those brands. I would have to lean towards the Denon stuff, but that is just because I have been very happy with all that I have had. That said I will actually be changing over to NAD or some Sunfire seperates or if I can get my hands on a demo piece of Mark Levinson maybe that. It is all relative as to what you want and what you have experianced in you purchaseing and that of your friends and family.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis