Brand New VSX-1026 turns off?

C

Crazyboy

Audiophyte
Hi!

I just purchased a brand new Pioneer vsx-1026, while watching a bluray the amp turned off after a while (@ -16 volume on the knob) i'm wondering if I should've purchased a higher model?

1026 has the following specs:
90 W @ 0.08% THD; 20 Hz -20 kHz/8 Ohms

1126 has the following specs:
110 W @ 0.06%

I have 5 speakers which are the following:

2x Polk RTI8
1x CSI3
2x Martin Logan Motion 10
1x Polk Subwoofer

Please let me know so I can exchange the amp before it's too late!!

Thx

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum!

Some questions:
  • Did the amp turn back on after a while?
  • Was there something displayed on the receiver's screen when the amp turned off that might indicate why it turned off?
  • Did you run MCACC? (That helps us know if -16 dB was relative to a set reference)

C

Crazyboy

Audiophyte
No the amp stayed shut, I still have to run the MCACC, didnt get a chance yet but I was watching megMind bluray, sounded nice but not ultra loud :(

The display was not showing anything af far as I remember, at first I thought the electricity cut as my Tv turned off too..Could it be because of my cheap power bar? I ordered the following yesterday:

Monster Power Home Theater Reference PowerCenter (MP HTS1600)

Thanks again for your help! :)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I should clarify - does the amp work now? In other words, can you turn it on and hear anything?

Having the TV also turn off is a very important thing to mention. So, when you were watching the blu-ray, what exactly happened? Did everything connected to the power strip turn off? Does any of it power on now? Have you plugged the equipment into another power strip or directly into the wall?

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
Yes please let us know if it ever was able to come back on. Did you check the breaker for the outlet? Was everything that shut off on one outlet? It sounds like you may have overloaded the line & just need to reset the fuse at the breaker box. In this case if you are running a 15 amp fuse you could either swap the fuse out with a 20amp fuse & see if that stops the problem or upgrade the whole line. I had the same problem, swapped the 15 for a 20 & have been good for 2 years now with no problems!

Please give us more info because your receiver wouldnt cause the tv to shut off normally. Unless you have the HDMI control turned on. This would power down the tv when you turn off the receiver.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Yes please let us know if it ever was able to come back on. Did you check the breaker for the outlet? Was everything that shut off on one outlet? It sounds like you may have overloaded the line & just need to reset the fuse at the breaker box. In this case if you are running a 15 amp fuse you could either swap the fuse out with a 20amp fuse & see if that stops the problem or upgrade the whole line. I had the same problem, swapped the 15 for a 20 & have been good for 2 years now with no problems!

Please give us more info because your receiver wouldnt cause the tv to shut off normally. Unless you have the HDMI control turned on. This would power down the tv when you turn off the receiver.
Are you suggesting he replace his 15 amp breaker with a 20 Amp? Or that he swap out the Buss fuse in his power strip?
The breaker swap is not a good idea and not legal. You can't put a 20 amp breaker on 14 AWG wire.
I'd check the power strip fuse to see if it's blown.

Last edited:
timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
An electrician i know swapped the actual breaker from a 15 to a 20. I did not know that was illegal. I was told it was totally safe & ok to do Now i want to check into that because if its not safe then i dont want mine like that!!

So SCRATCH that thought on just swapping it out. (if thats the case)

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
An electrician i know swapped the actual breaker from a 15 to a 20. I did not know that was illegal. I was told it was totally safe & ok to do Now i want to check into that because if its not safe then i dont want mine like that!!

So SCRATCH that thought on just swapping it out. (if thats the case)
We can't install a breaker or fuse that has a greater ampacity than the wire it's protecting.
If the wire is 12 AWG then it's OK to make that swap.

C

Crazyboy

Audiophyte
The Tv and amp both turned off but the power bar's fuse was ok and nothing needed to be reset, I just turned the tv and amp back and listened with a lower sound. I just ordered my new:

Monster Power Home Theater Reference PowerCenter (MP HTS1600)

Hope this resolves the issue..

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
If your current power strip didnt pop to save your system & you were able to just turn everything back on like normal then that new strip you ordered isnt going to help with the problem. A decent surge protector & conditioner are always a good thing to have of course but you need to be thinking of what caused the TV & AVR to shut off.

Maybe one of your speaker wires has a stray strand of wire that is making contact with the back metal panel of your avr. Maybe you pushed your system too hard. That would cause the avr to go into protection mode. Then if like mentioned you have the HDMI Control ON, the tv would shut off along with avr. ....?

FYI, next time you need a system protected & the power condioned or cleaned we highly recommend staying away from "Monster". Instead look into much better companies such as APC or Furman!! Id even think about returning that Monster strip you ordered & get something from one of those 2 companies. Seriously! :)

C

Crazyboy

Audiophyte
One of my cables was not long enough so I added an extension with black tape (is this doable? had no choice since the initial wire was passing through a wall), I ordered banana plugs hope those will help..

Also I have an IT company, thus deal with APC a lot, yet did not know Monster was a bad brand, I got the HTS1600 on special for $120, find it kind of looks nice and had decent reviews, is it that bad?

Thx again for all your replies

C

Crazyboy

Audiophyte
Looks like it was the guy who took out carpets and redid the floors, he tried to hide cabling in my room but nailed a few nails through my wiring in the process..

C

Crazyboy

Audiophyte
I'm having very weird problems, 2 weeks ago my router started disconnecting the wireless none stop after heavy downloading, next day the router was messed up, works for 30seconds then it jamms, few days later my IP Tv works for about 30seconds then drops the image, about same time my brand new Tv Samsung UN55D8000 turns off and on every say 2 hours...

Everything being brand new I'm starting to wonder if the Monster power center is the culprit.. :(( Any suggestions?

FYI, next time you need a system protected & the power condioned or cleaned we highly recommend staying away from "Monster". Instead look into much better companies such as APC or Furman!! Id even think about returning that Monster strip you ordered & get something from one of those 2 companies. Seriously! :)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Looks like it was the guy who took out carpets and redid the floors, he tried to hide cabling in my room but nailed a few nails through my wiring in the process..
What else he nailed improperly?
I'm having very weird problems, 2 weeks ago my router started disconnecting the wireless none stop after heavy downloading, next day the router was messed up, works for 30seconds then it jamms, few days later my IP Tv works for about 30seconds then drops the image, about same time my brand new Tv Samsung UN55D8000 turns off and on every say 2 hours...

Everything being brand new I'm starting to wonder if the Monster power center is the culprit.. :(( Any suggestions?
I doubt it is the Monster but why not just not use it for a few hours, plug everything into the wall directly, and see what happens.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis