BP7000SC Bipolar SuperTower Review?

Gaigebacca

Gaigebacca

Audioholic
Anyone ever heard/used/own these towers? My soon-to-be father-in-law is looking at them for his home theater. Any info on them would be greatly appreciated.

The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
There are several forum members who own these speakers, myself included. AcuDefTechGuy, David Gaudreau, amongst others. I absolutely love them.
'nuff said. :D:D:D:D:D

Gaigebacca

Gaigebacca

Audioholic
Would you say that you still need an actual external subwoofer with these... the spec'ed internal subs look pretty powerful.

D

deedubb

Full Audioholic
Would you say that you still need an actual external subwoofer with these... the spec'ed internal subs look pretty powerful.
For home theatre, you could do without a sub, but most (including me) will feel that if you want a true home theatre experience, you will need one. It is passable without, but I'd advise against it.

Gaigebacca

Gaigebacca

Audioholic
Well, I understand that, and I am all about the bass... but the internal subs on these are supposed to equal "7 of the separate supercubes subwoofers" and so if that is true, then would it be worth the extra money?

The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
Well, I understand that, and I am all about the bass... but the internal subs on these are supposed to equal "7 of the separate supercubes subwoofers" and so if that is true, then would it be worth the extra money?
The onboard subs of the 7000SC's are very powerful and the speakers are designed to be run full range. There are some who would argue that you could run the LFE signal into your mains and be content. Depending on how high you set your crossover freq this could be a problem with bass localization. Also, you may "muddy" the imaging with this setup. It would be much more optimal to use a dedicated subwoofer(s) for the .1 LFE channel for overall smooth bass response, better crossover freq flexibility, better imaging from your mains, and less localization of the bass. If it is a budgetary issue then that is an entirely different matter...:eek:

Gaigebacca

Gaigebacca

Audioholic
what sub in the 1000-1200 range would you recommend to supplement these towers?

The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
I would check out SVS, they make killer subs; the SC References from DT are out of that price range.
There's a SVS PB 12 Plus for sale right now in the classified section for 750.00

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, I absolutely love my BP7000SCs. They actually make me feel so excited about listening to music and watching movies.

Unless you just want absolute overkill bass, I can absolutely say that they will produce bass like you wouldn't believe, and the owners of these speakers can chime in. You have to listen to these speakers in a good home theater environment to believe.

The only reason I bought the Trinity is for absolute overkill.

Actually, I bought the Trinity due to PEER pressure on this forum. Really, if I were not on this forum I would have never even thought about buying a separate sub.

My wife and I were watching The Metador before I got the Trinity Sub. There were so many moments when the BP7000SCs produced heart stopping bass.

My wife said, "Will you please turn down your speaker because it it going to give me a heart attack!"

The BP7000SCs produce TRUE Subwoofer bass. Unless you have listened to them in an actual home theater environment, not some retail stores or showrooms with improper placement or acoustics, you will not truly appreciate their capability.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
There are several forum members who own these speakers, myself included. AcuDefTechGuy, David Gaudreau, amongst others. I absolutely love them.
'nuff said. :D:D:D:D:D
I love the BP7000SCs so much that I actually bought the BP7001SCs to use as my surround speakers! Only we know what they can do. They have to be heard to believe. So unless you have actually heard them in an actually home theater environment, you won't believe a single word we say.:D

Guys, when I get my new home, I plan on getting another BP7000SCs to use as my Center speaker.:D

The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
Guys, when I get my new home, I plan on getting another BP7000SCs to use as my Center speaker.:D
He He; you truly are hardcore :D. Quick question though, which 7000SC will you get for your center channel, the one with the subwoofer on the right or the one with the subwoofer on the left? I can practically see the gears in your head turning right now :D:D:D:D:D.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
My wife and I were watching The Metador before I got the Trinity Sub. There were so many moments when the BP7000SCs produced heart stopping bass.

My wife said, "Will you please turn down your speaker because it it going to give me a heart attack!"
Gawd I hate that!!!! What a way to ruin a good moment!! :D

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Bipolar?

Well, my therapist said that if I take the blue pills twice a day and the pink ones...oh. Bipolar speakers. Nevermind :p

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
He He; you truly are hardcore :D. Quick question though, which 7000SC will you get for your center channel, the one with the subwoofer on the right or the one with the subwoofer on the left? I can practically see the gears in your head turning right now :D:D:D:D:D.
Why do you torture me with questions like that?:D

I guess it doesn't matter, but I will pick the speaker with the subwoofer on the left...

No, I mean the subwoofer on the right...

No, make that left...:D:D

Damn it. Okay, that's it. I will just have to get BOTH -- a pair of them and use TWO center speakers with the subwoofers pointing to the side walls.:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Gawd I hate that!!!! What a way to ruin a good moment!! :D
Tell me about it!

She actually made me turn down the subwoofer channel by -5dB!!!
I had to change the setting in my Panasonic BD10A for the Subwoofer to be -5dB (0dB is normal). And this was BEFORE I got the Trinity.:D

Now (with the Trinity) whenever we watch movies together, I have to turn the SUB/LFE down by -5dB and turn OFF the Trinity comnpletely (unplug it)!!!

Marriage is full of compromises I tell you!:)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
...Also, you may "muddy" the imaging with this setup. It would be much more optimal to use a dedicated subwoofer(s) for the .1 LFE channel for overall smooth bass response, better crossover freq flexibility, better imaging from your mains, and less localization of the bass...
I think the number one issue is speaker placement and room acoustics. If you have them too close to the walls and if your room has bad acoustics (room echo), then you will run into "boominess" or "muddy bass" problems.

Most of us (myself included) don't have the perfect size or acoustic room. Thus, we probably have not even realized the full potential of the BP7000SCs. I think a couple of professional reviewers (HTMag & AVRev) placed the BP7000SCs 3-4 feet from the front walls and 4-5 ft from the side walls. Julian Hirsch found the best placement for the BP10s to be 4-5 feet from the side walls.

I thought I had mine @ 3 ft from the front wall & 4 ft from the sides. However, after another measurement, it turns out I only had mine 2 ft from the front wall and 3 ft from the sides. My TV stand/cradenza and audio rack also do not help. My future room needs to have an HD Projector with a 150" screen:D

I would love to place them 5 ft from the front walls and 8 ft from the side walls.

vongerv

Audiophyte
Hey Deftech Guy we have almost the same sey up! But I started with the 7001s and moved into the 7000s, with the 3000 for a center (a 7000 would be awesome, time to buy that transparent screen). I also recently bought a trinity, due mostly to pressure on avs.

Back to the OP, I also thoroughly enjoy these speakers, the soundstage is huge and yet the imaging can be very impressive, they completely engross you in whatever you are watching/listening too!

I am in the process of setting up a projector and changing the carpet in the theater room so I took all my gear out except the 7000s (needed something while I wait for the lazy carpet guy) I watched Sunshine last night with just the 7000s and the bass was unbeliavable, I was really questioning if the trinity was at all necessary. Couch shacking bass from these two towers, you would be happy without a stand alone I would like to think. Looking at myself and Def Dech guy though goes to show you what happens in this 'hobby'!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hey Deftech Guy we have almost the same sey up! But I started with the 7001s and moved into the 7000s, with the 3000 for a center (a 7000 would be awesome, time to buy that transparent screen). I also recently bought a trinity, due mostly to pressure on avs.

Back to the OP, I also thoroughly enjoy these speakers, the soundstage is huge and yet the imaging can be very impressive, they completely engross you in whatever you are watching/listening too!

I am in the process of setting up a projector and changing the carpet in the theater room so I took all my gear out except the 7000s (needed something while I wait for the lazy carpet guy) I watched Sunshine last night with just the 7000s and the bass was unbeliavable, I was really questioning if the trinity was at all necessary. Couch shacking bass from these two towers, you would be happy without a stand alone I would like to think. Looking at myself and Def Dech guy though goes to show you what happens in this 'hobby'!
Are you my twin in another universe?:D:D:D

Here are a few other examples with just the BP7000SCs gain set to 50% (before I got the Trinity):

1) When I watched the Matrix Revolutions HD DVD, the bass output was so intense that my Toshiba HD-XA1s Remote Control LIT UP every few seconds!!!
This remote control is motion sensitive. The light turns on when you move it. It was laying on the couch, which was not touching the walls or another object of any kind. The lights on the remote literally lit up every time the bass hits, which was extremely frequent during those fight scenes with the Sentinels.

2) I played a CD ("New York City" song by Norah Jones) for my Uncle. The bass is fantastic. I wanted him to say that. But his impression? He said it was the CLEAREST sound he has ever heard from any speakers. He did not even mention the BASS, which is what most people are so caught up with.

Excellent Clarity + Excellent Imaging + Excellent Bass = BP7000SC.

We are crazy audioholics who are influenced by each other on these forums. I think if I had a 6,000 cubic feet room, I would need the Trinity for the best possible bass. But in a 3,000 cubic feet room, the BP7000SCs are already more than enough bass.

So in the back of my mind, I was also planning ahead for my future 6,000 C.F. HT room.

Oh, yeah, I also watched Sunshine on blu-ray. One of the most awesome bass movie I have ever seen! Unbelievable bass!

Gaigebacca

Gaigebacca

Audioholic
Are you my twin in another universe?:D:D:D

Here are a few other examples with just the BP7000SCs gain set to 50% (before I got the Trinity):

1) When I watched the Matrix Revolutions HD DVD, the bass output was so intense that my Toshiba HD-XA1s Remote Control LIT UP every few seconds!!!
This remote control is motion sensitive. The light turns on when you move it. It was laying on the couch, which was not touching the walls or another object of any kind. The lights on the remote literally lit up every time the bass hits, which was extremely frequent during those fight scenes with the Sentinels.

2) I played a CD ("New York City" song by Norah Jones) for my Uncle. The bass is fantastic. I wanted him to say that. But his impression? He said it was the CLEAREST sound he has ever heard from any speakers. He did not even mention the BASS, which is what most people are so caught up with.

Excellent Clarity + Excellent Imaging + Excellent Bass = BP7000SC.

We are crazy audioholics who are influenced by each other on these forums. I think if I had a 6,000 cubic feet room, I would need the Trinity for the best possible bass. But in a 3,000 cubic feet room, the BP7000SCs are already more than enough bass.

So in the back of my mind, I was also planning ahead for my future 6,000 C.F. HT room.

Oh, yeah, I also watched Sunshine on blu-ray. One of the most awesome bass movie I have ever seen! Unbelievable bass!
I really appreciate all of the info on everything... now all I have to do is convince my father-in-law to get some rear surrounds as well... he doesnt have very good hearing... and so doesn't think it is worth to spend too much money on the speakers of the theater room... I have tried my best to convince him otherwise... still working on it. :)

Also, how is the actual movie of Sunshine? was very intrigued by it when it came out in theaters, but never got a chance to actually see it.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Looking at myself and Def Dech guy though goes to show you what happens in this 'hobby'!
Welcome to the forum, by the way!

Yeah, can you imagine the BP7000SC as a Center?:D

It would be the best Center speaker out there.:D

And if I hooked the LFE/SUB output to each BP7000SC and BP7001SC (that's 4 subwoofers), do you think I would need the Trinity in a 3,000 C.F. room?:D

And David is also crazy with his BP7000SCs and 2 external SuperCube Reference Subs! He has the HD Projector + screen.

So I guess I am a little behind you guys with the HD Projector + screen.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis