Boxes, boxes...everywhere.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Getting new stuff is great but everything comes in a box. So far I've saved them all. I mean literally all of them from the 52" LCD box to every Harmony remote and car audio component box. I lost my SVS box when I got some water in the basement and I get the impression that it's generally bad to not have the box to a component, as if you're not taking proper care of it somehow.

I want to clear up some space. My house is pretty small and every storage area is filled with empty boxes. I almost think it will be hard to throw away a box for a component that I still own and use, like throwing away a child or a pet. Where do I draw the line on what box to keep and what box to throw away?

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
My wife thinks I'm nuts for keeping the boxes. (and other things, too!;)) The line I draw is if the warranty is out the box can go. I tend to keep my old speakers and components so I don't need the boxes unless I need them for repairs.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
My wife thinks I'm nuts for keeping the boxes. (and other things, too!;)) The line I draw is if the warranty is out the box can go. I tend to keep my old speakers and components so I don't need the boxes unless I need them for repairs.
This seems like a reasonable standard to set. I'm still not sure I can do it. I mean, some components like the Integra or the Dynaudios are worth more than some cars that I've owned. It's almost like deliberately devaluing an asset by throwing away the box. Does that seem silly?

Maybe for small stuff and the less expensive components. I think I could find the willpower to toss the Paradigm Cinema boxes. But the Rotel box...I don't know...I think it's a keeper. Maybe I need to be on that packrat show on TLC.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I'm in the same boat Dave.
My attic over the garage has boxes, my shed has Paradigm and Emotive boxes.
I had nowhere to put a new Epik sub box (double boxed) so I just got ride of them.
I think eventually, I'll get rid of any box whose equipment I don't plan to sell. If we move the stuff can be wrapped in one of those padded moving blanket.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Getting new stuff is great but everything comes in a box. So far I've saved them all. I mean literally all of them from the 52" LCD box to every Harmony remote and car audio component box. I lost my SVS box when I got some water in the basement and I get the impression that it's generally bad to not have the box to a component, as if you're not taking proper care of it somehow.

I want to clear up some space. My house is pretty small and every storage area is filled with empty boxes. I almost think it will be hard to throw away a box for a component that I still own and use, like throwing away a child or a pet. Where do I draw the line on what box to keep and what box to throw away?
It's good to get rid of the rest in case they need to be shipped but the TV box- maybe keep it. You could also write on the styrofoam, to indicate what it's for and put all of the pieces in one large bag before nesting all of the boxes and putting them on a pallet (or get them off the floor in some other way).

The Orion trade-in guide has a range of condition and 'mint' doesn't mean it has no box. If you sell or trade something, you'll definitely get more if you have the box.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
It's good to get rid of the rest in case they need to be shipped but the TV box- maybe keep it. You could also write on the styrofoam, to indicate what it's for and put all of the pieces in one large bag before nesting all of the boxes and putting them on a pallet (or get them off the floor in some other way).
Actually, it's the TV boxes I'm most wanting to get rid of. I've got the box for the 52" and the 40" and I probably also have the 26" box around somewhere. Those boxes are space hogs.

I like the styrofoam idea.

chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
i like to keep boxes in case i move.. I actually put shelving along the cieling of my garage.. all the way around.. its up and out of the way. I put all the boxes up there or any other storage items I cant through out but never use.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
My attic is also full of boxes. I did throw out the boxes for the Studio 40's last month since I got rid of the speakers 2 years ago. I also threw out the box for the 50'' plasma that's outside, I am certain it will never need a box again.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
I recently gave a friend my old (15 years) Sony CD megachanger complete with original box and manual, his first question was, “You have all your equipment boxes?”:D

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Actually, it's the TV boxes I'm most wanting to get rid of. I've got the box for the 52" and the 40" and I probably also have the 26" box around somewhere. Those boxes are space hogs.

I like the styrofoam idea.
OK, but you could put the smaller TV box inside of the larger and all of the foam inside of the smaller box.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I recently gave a friend my old (15 years) Sony CD megachanger complete with original box and manual, his first question was, “You have all your equipment boxes?”:D
Some people will never understand.:cool:

On the other hand, I feel like a potty training child that won't flush his dumps.:D

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Some people will never understand.:cool:

On the other hand, I feel like a potty training child that won't flush his dumps.:D
Alex's GF still has problems with him and not flushing...

Alex says he wants to keep it for throwing.;)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
This is kind of redundant with previous posts, but here's my take:

1) Is it under warranty?
2) Am I likely to sell it via eBay or AudioGon?

If the answer is no to both questions, I get rid of the box.

PS: If I am moving, I carry all of electronics/speakers in my separate trip (wrap in blankets or matress pads).

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Hang onto those boxes Dave. You'll be sorry if you get rid of them.

Cristofori

Cristofori

Audioholic
The best solution is to neatly break down most of the boxes flat (whenever possible), but save a couple bigger ones to put all the Styrofoam, plastic, etc. into.

Use a marker or something to mark which styrofoam, etc., belonged to which item if you can't remember.

It's important to keep your boxes, as it says something about the care you took with the units to a potential buyer for re-sale. This is especially important with things like turntables, which could be easily damaged if not shipped in their original packaging.

People like me are more likely to buy your used gear if you have the original box. :D

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
People like me are more likely to buy your used gear if you have the original box. :D
Nobody here will buy my used gear. Two smokers and three cats live here. It's like Audioholic kryptonite. My friends and family reap the benefit of getting free used gear in good condition...

...in it's original box.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis