Bowers & Wilkins M-1 Compact Speaker and PV1D Sub Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The M-1 speakers will run you $250 a pop and the PV1D sub another $1700. For the B&W name, a sub-$3000 5.1 system is pretty reasonable. If you are looking for small speakers not because you can't afford larger ones but because you don't have the space, these should definitely be on your list. While we'll believe the 7.5Hz extension of the sub when we feel it (since you can't hear it), the PV1D seems to have a lot of very impressive technology. The M-1 satellite speakers also look to be top performers given their size. Now all we need to do is measure them and see how they perform in room to be sure.

Discuss "Bowers & Wilkins M-1 Compact Speaker and PV1D Sub Preview" here. Read the article.

D

DS-21

Full Audioholic
"64Hz - 23kHz ±3dB on reference axis. *** The M-1s are 9.8" tall, 4.5" wide, and 6.4" deep"

What's the rated sensitivity, 75dB/W/m?

Otherwise, I call BS.

smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic
PV1D = Death Star of subwoofers. Was anyone else thinking that?

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
"64Hz - 23kHz ±3dB on reference axis. *** The M-1s are 9.8" tall, 4.5" wide, and 6.4" deep"

Otherwise, I call BS.
Yea, that frequency response claim does sound out of place given the M-1s size. No speaker like that does that well in the bass or upper-bass for that matter. That said, I did hear the .... um ... now previous M1s at Magnolia Sound [a.k.a. BestBuy]. For their size, they weren't majorly hard to mate with a subwoofer. What grabbed my attention was their lack of shrillness in the highs and there comfortably present lower midrange _ which helped in the subwoofer blending exercise. As impressed as I was, I want to hear the new M-1s when they come around.

D

DS-21

Full Audioholic
***What grabbed my attention was their lack of shrillness in the highs and there comfortably present lower midrange _ which helped in the subwoofer blending exercise. As impressed as I was, I want to hear the new M-1s when they come around.
I'd be shocked if, like previous B&W compact designs, they were considerably inferior sounding next to the (IMO both better-made and better-looking as well) KEF KHT3005SE and Tannoy Arena sets, or the NHT Absolute Zero, or the newer and more expensive Paradigm Millennia Ones or little Revel 3" MTM's. (I continue to be utterly shocked at how spectacularly the 3005SE's image, and wish I could get that in a higher-efficiency package with extension legitimately down to 50-80Hz.)

Then again, B&W designs for a house-sound that I find colored but that many others seem to enjoy. If these sound like B&W's, they'll probably do well on the marketplace.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
"The enclosure is vented (ported) but we're not SURE exactly where"

Last edited by a moderator:
GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja

that's a 4" vented woofer and these speakers won't have much baffle step compensation if they're desktop speakers. that's an extra ~5db of boost right there from the typical 80db sensitivity a speaker like this would have.

it's also what looks like a a thin-ish metal enclosure. It probably doesn't eat up too much internal space.

If an Aura NS4 in 2pi space can have an F3 near 50hz in .15 cu ft and still have 84db sensitivity, then this too is believable.

Last edited:
X

xoox

Audiophyte
I have tested the new M-1's and even though they are better than their predecessors, they definitely leaves a lot to be desired. And calling them "full range" as B&W does is simply not correct. The biggest problem with the M-1 (and their predecessors) are the bloated upper bass (175-250 hz) which gives them an "shoe-boxy" sound and is hard to eliminate even in the presence of the mighty PV1.

Instead I opted for the Dali Fazon Sat, which in my opinion has a superior sound in every way - much deeper and cleaner bass-response, higher resolution trebles and a much more full and open sound.

Nothing beats the PV1, though, and I am excited about the PV1D, which has already been ordered here :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Put a Marlan head on it, wrap it with 20 layers of beech, coat it with 10 layers of lacquer, and buff it for 4 days, and I will be all over it.:eek::D

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
So the model went from "M1" to "M-1"? Pure genius that. No possibility of confusion their... :rolleyes:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don't sense a lot love for B&W around this neck of the woods.:eek::D

They do look very pretty, don't you think?:D

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Actually, I like B&W speakers. I think they're over-priced, but the ones I've listened to sound nice to my ears. I have heard the M1's myself, and thought they were quite good for their size. Again, the price was an issue, but they had a rich and detailed sound to them.

D

DS-21

Full Audioholic
that's a 4" vented woofer and these speakers won't have much baffle step compensation if they're desktop speakers. that's an extra ~5db of boost right there from the typical 80db sensitivity a speaker like this would have.
True, but that also means less bass extension.

it's also what looks like a a thin-ish metal enclosure. It probably doesn't eat up too much internal space.
Neither do the metal cabinets of the similarly-sized KEF HTS3005 or Tannoy Arena. Both of which are good for about 120-150Hz on a good day.

They do look very pretty, don't you think?:D
I'm not sure they're any better-looking than these:

(KEF KHT3005SE)

or these:

(Tannoy Arena)

or these:

NHT Absolute Zero

or these:

Paradigm Millennia One

or these:

Revel M8

But it's nice that there are more options now for people who need good-looking compact speakers. A decade ago, someone whose decor required small speakers had pitifully few high-quality options.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis