Bowers & Wilkins CM9 worth it?

D

d9999

Audioholic Intern
What are your thoughts on B&W CM9? I tested it out a few days ago and I also saw it got some great reviews and awards. Do you think its worth it? Is it that much better than 683? How do you think it fares in that class of speakers around $3,000?

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
That is wicked hard to answer. If you have a choice in front of you, I'd say buy which ever one is lower in price.

cym_city

cym_city

Junior Audioholic
I just bought a pair of those last week and I love them, especially on acoustic and instrumental stuff. I didn't listen to the 683 though and I also picked them up a demo pair for $2,200 which made the decision a little easier. The worth of it is going to be up to you. Some people will swear by them while others will wonder why you even considered them. If you can afford the differance and like the sound then i say go for it. If you think they sound similar to the other series then save some coin and use it for an amp or something else.

D

d9999

Audioholic Intern
I am really liking the way they sound, I have compared a few speakers and was really impressed. Any others in that range that you guys would recommend?

C

canelli

Audioholic
I have a pair of both the CM9 and 683 speakers. The CM9s are doing duty as the mains and the 683s are the rears. Overall, I like both speakers.

I felt the 683s lacked a true lower end punch, so I upgraded by adding in a JL F112 sub. This gave movies a real wow factor and worked very nicely for music. I have never spent much time listening to the CM9s without the sub handling frequencies under 80Hz.

I would like to point out some differences between these two speakers. The 683s are brighter which some might say sparkle. The CM9s are more relaxed sounding. The two speakers do sound different but the mid and highs are not dramatically different. Using them both for movies, they blind nicely.

The 683s have a smaller sound stage. At times the sound felt pointed. With a lot of setup and testing, I was able to find a sweet spot for our listening position with a good balance of energy and stage. The CM9s are very different in the sound stage and presentation. They do a better job filling a much larger area. They required less setup and fiddling with toe-in. I found the 683s incredible sensitive to toe-in to get the best sound possible.

Some things to consider are the ports. The 683 has a front port and the CM9 faces the rear. You need to consider this in planning the placement. I found the CM9s to perform much better a little distance away from the wall. If you have to place them flush, the 683s might be the better choice. Also consider the space you are trying to fill.

T

tike71

Audiophyte
I have a pair of B&W CM5 bookshelfs on order and I'm sure the CM9 are better. Though B&W wasn't on my short list, a stop to the local hi end audio store quickly changed my mind. I walked in with intention of getting the Paradigm Studio 20, but after a short demo I found the bass too overpowering towards the mids. The Studio 10 were better sounding than the 20 IMO. The room I was in had a pair of B&W CM5 on display and out of curiosity I asked for a quick listen. These speakers blew me away. The warm yet detailed sound combined with its transparency won me over. I'm not blessed (or cursed) with a critical ear but what I was hearing was pretty damn good, enough to fork out $1200 (retails for $1500 I believe) for the pair. I also briefly listened to the B&W 685 bookshelfs while browsing their amps and found them overly bright, with not much going for it to really grab my attention. What would be perfect is a pair of CM5 with the curvature enclosure of the latest version Studio 20. The thing I find a bit disappointing about B&W (with the exception of their Diamond 800 series) is that they're all made in China now.

P

PedroDepue

Audiophyte
If you think they sound similar to the other series then save some coin and use it for an amp or something else.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

I think the Philharmonic speakers will sound better.:)

Last edited:

miuamiu

Audiophyte
Happy Holidays all-
Let me ask you folks something, would you rather have CM9 or Totem Hawks? :) Because currently I have the Arros and I love it a lot. However I would like to add a big brother to the component. But difficult to decide which the above to go with. Please help! Thanks!

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
Happy Holidays all-
Let me ask you folks something, would you rather have CM9 or Totem Hawks? :) Because currently I have the Arros and I love it a lot. However I would like to add a big brother to the component. But difficult to decide which the above to go with. Please help! Thanks!
I prefer the Hawks, but YMMV.

I

Irishman

Audioholic
What are your thoughts on B&W CM9? I tested it out a few days ago and I also saw it got some great reviews and awards. Do you think its worth it? Is it that much better than 683? How do you think it fares in that class of speakers around $3,000?
Having heard both the 683 and the CM9 quite extensively with the same material, I find I prefer the 683 for music and the CM9 for Home Theater use. The 683 sounded smoother to me than did the CM9, and to my ear, smoother usually translates to easier on the ears for a long session of listening to music.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Neither! There are better speakers out there in this price range from Ascend, JBL Pro, Revel, Philharmonic, Salk, etc. I honestly doubt the B&Ws are better than the ARX A5s to be honest.

I

Irishman

Audioholic
Neither! There are better speakers out there in this price range from Ascend, JBL Pro, Revel, Philharmonic, Salk, etc. I honestly doubt the B&Ws are better than the ARX A5s to be honest.
It might help the OP if we defined "better", since it can be so subjective.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It might help the OP if we defined "better", since it can be so subjective.
Better = whatever sounds the best to you subjectively after you have listened & compared the speakers for yourself. :D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Better = whatever sounds the best to you subjectively after you have listened & compared the speakers for yourself. :D
I agree, with all due respect, I can understand why some people from the DIY camp don't like B&W speakers because base on their intimate knowledge in interpreting the specs/graphs they think those speakers won't sound good. They probably did audition some of them and confirmed their initial belief but they could have been influenced by preconceived ideas. I think we need more than just a few graphs that are typically available in the public domain in order to do an reliable prediction, and I am not sure if one can say it with certainty that, for example, just because one that has a mushroom cloud in a certain narrow band the speaker will sound bad compared to one that does not have that mushroom cloud but it may have something else.

09 OrangeSRT

Audiophyte
. The thing I find a bit disappointing about B&W (with the exception of their Diamond 800 series) is that they're all made in China now.
As I understand it they are made in China in a B&W built and controlled factory. Saves money and as far as I've heard the quality is B&W standard.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Most speakers are made in China or have parts made in China & assembled elsewhere. :D

The KEF R900 is also made in China. The Revel Salon2 is made in Mexico. PSB Synchrony One is made in China. Paradigm Sig8 is assembled in Canada with parts made in China.

But I know what you mean. You would like all B&W to be made in England, like the 800D-series. :D

All the Focal speakers are made in France. All the Dynaudio are made in Denmark. All the Amphion speakers are made in Finland. All the ATC speakers are made in England. Probably with a few parts made in China. Again. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis