Bought a Pioneer Elite VSX-53 and XPA 3

F

Fowl

Audioholic
Hi Guys,

I was going to get one of the new Pioneer SC series receivers, but my dealer called me in yesterday to show me a new vsx-53 that he had. It is one lovely receiver, so I bought it. Took some pics but don’t know how to post them. I started to read the manual yesterday but feel asleep.

Also I bit the bullet and ordered a XPA3 go along with the receiver. I am only waiting on my wife to give me the final go ahead for the speakers. She likes the Ascends tower over the Aperion VGT, but she prefers the Aperion Center channel over the Ascends. For her Its not a matter of sound as we have not heard these speakers and will not hear them until delivery, it’s a matter of looks.

So by Monday I will be ordering the speakers. It’s been a long time in coming, but I am almost there.

Whichever one I get, I think the XPA3 and the VSX53 should do a fine job.
I will need to call OPPO and get one of their SACD players.

So in a couple of weeks I should be smiling:D .

F

Fowl

Audioholic
Xpa 3

My XPA 3 arrived today and man this thing is heavy:D I must give props to Emotiva for the packaging, its very well done. On the flipside though the manual is crappy in wording, lots of errors.

Will rewire the HT tomorrow and wait for my new speakers to arrive.

Last edited:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Why buy direct from oppo when you could buy from the audioholics store for the same price, while also supporting this fine forum? :D

F

Fowl

Audioholic
Why buy direct from oppo when you could buy from the audioholics store for the same price, while also supporting this fine forum? :D
I did not buy the OPPO I found a cheap Sony which had sacd that I wanted.

F

Fowl

Audioholic
Congrats on the Pioneer. How do you like it?
Have not listened to it as yet, but I can tell you in my opinion it is a beautiful receiver. I was waiting on my XPA3 and Speakers to arrive to hook it up. But since the Amp arrived two days ago and I cleared it today will rewire my HT room tomorrow and see how it goes.

I ordered my speakers from Will at the Audioholics store and now have another few weeks to wait before they arrive. I have been back and forth several times deciding between the Verus Grand and the Ascend and finally decided on the VGT and ordered them today.

F

Fowl

Audioholic
Well I spent all day yesterday rewiring my HT room and hooking up the receiver and the XPA 3. The wires that ran in my ceiling the inside of the wire had turned brown and brittle. I am sure that resulted in sound degredation.

I must say that I am very pleased with the Emotiva and the VSX53. The sound that is emitted are very clear and no hissing whatsoever; they are dead silent, well, until you increase the volume and then hold on because the room fills with good sound. I don't care who may have based this amp in the past but I love it. I was well worth the $600. Can't wait for my new speakers to get here:eek:

F

Fowl

Audioholic
I listened to some music today and I must say I lke this Pioneer and Emotiva combination. I listened to some Tracy chapman, Whitney Houston, and Barbara Striesand and they sounded good, and the thing about it is that I am using some old tiny Jamo bookshelves as I sold my E55ti's.

As I mentioned before I have ordered the Aperion Verus Grand towers and center and am just wondering how these will sound as I am quite impressed so var with only the jamos.

Well I will have to wait a few weeks to find out. Until then I can live with these speakers. I must admit though that they are lacking in bass, but this is nothing that my dual SVS's can't handle.

When I Aperion arrive I will be sure to report my findings.

F

Fowl

Audioholic
Congrats on the Pioneer. How do you like it?
Hi Adam,

I like it alot actually. Gave me a bit of problem initially to set up but its good now. The problem I am having it that with the Emotiva and the new receiver, my cabinet has ran out of space so I need another. Problem is, my wife bought me the current one.:(

In any case, on the better side, the container with my speakers are on island and should get them in next couple of days:D

GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
Congrats.

I'm in a similar situation too. Just got a Emotiva XPA-5 and it can't fit where the existing equipment is. I need to re-arrange everything and see if it can possibly squeeze in somewhere and still have good ventilation too.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Congrats.

I'm in a similar situation too. Just got a Emotiva XPA-5 and it can't fit where the existing equipment is. I need to re-arrange everything and see if it can possibly squeeze in somewhere and still have good ventilation too.
The unfortunate reality is that media centers are not made for powerful amps. In fact, you may be lucky to shoehorn a good reciever in there. Maybe consider an amp-stand beside the main center.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
The unfortunate reality is that media centers are not made for powerful amps. In fact, you may be lucky to shoehorn a good reciever in there. Maybe consider an amp-stand beside the main center.
You can shove a big amp in a modern day credenza. You just have to get the right one and be prepared to work on it a tad.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
You can shove a big amp in a modern day credenza. You just have to get the right one and be prepared to work on it a tad.

Nice work. Yeah, you might be able to shove one in there, but it is far from ideal. You prove my point the modern ECs are not MADE for this type of equip, you have to mod it.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Nice work. Yeah, you might be able to shove one in there, but it is far from ideal. You prove my point the modern ECs are not MADE for this type of equip, you have to mod it.
Yep but it was as simple as drilling 4 holes to move the shelf up, cutting a piece of Masonite to replace the back panel, attaching a couple of computer fans and slapping the back panel on with some Velcro.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yep but it was as simple as drilling 4 holes to move the shelf up, cutting a piece of Masonite to replace the back panel, attaching a couple of computer fans and slapping the back panel on with some Velcro.
How are you controlling and powering those computer fans? Do the fans bother you at all during listening sessions?

I got tired of trying to find the perfect media center (that doesn't seem to exist). So my A/V equip is split onto a TV stand and matching audio rack. These are all open front and back. The advantage is that everything fits and there is plenty of airflow. The disadvantage is that it is a lot more work to hide wires and do a neat job on it.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
How are you controlling and powering those computer fans? Do the fans bother you at all during listening sessions?

I got tired of trying to find the perfect media center (that doesn't seem to exist). So my A/V equip is split onto a TV stand and matching audio rack. These are all open front and back. The advantage is that everything fits and there is plenty of airflow. The disadvantage is that it is a lot more work to hide wires and do a neat job on it.
The fans are completely silent, with your ear right up against them you "think" maybe you can hear them. They were controlled with my external 12v trigger that also turned on an outboard sub amp but when I sold that sub/amp, I just plugged them into the surge protector and said that I will redo them later.

That was about 2 years ago...lol...They should last about 20 years running full time and surely they don't burn much electricity. Maybe I will rerun the wiring the next time I'm back there and I will use a fancy $12 thermoregulator.:D

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I think Emotiva sets the standard for high value amplification, but their form factors are the one thing I would change if I could.
For people who need a more compact and flexible arrangement, Outlaw 2200 monoblocks for $350 (less discounts for buying more than one) is probably the closest competition. It puts out 200@8ohm, 300@4ohm, and measures 1.75" high and 11.5" deep.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I think Emotiva sets the standard for high value amplification, but their form factors are the one thing I would change if I could.
For people who need a more compact and flexible arrangement, Outlaw 2200 monoblocks for $350 (less discounts for buying more than one) is probably the closest competition. It puts out 200@8ohm, 300@4ohm, and measures 1.75" high and 11.5" deep.
So if you buy 5 that's $1324.00 or $809 for a XPA5. The thing that would get me on Monoblocks is 5 power cords.

F

Fowl

Audioholic
I think I may have found a cabnet that works. Will post picture when I get it and all equipment installed. I wont be as elaborate as ParadigmDawg's but it may just work for my needs.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I think I may have found a cabnet that works. Will post picture when I get it and all equipment installed. I wont be as elaborate as ParadigmDawg's but it may just work for my needs.
Please tell us the model. I want to take a look and see if it would be good for my setup too.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis