Boston Acoustics A7200

F

frank772

Audiophyte
Anyone out there that has this amp? If so, how do you like it? Any opinions would be great.
Thanks,
Frank772

M

mnnc

Full Audioholic
frank772 said:
Anyone out there that has this amp? If so, how do you like it? Any opinions would be great.
Thanks,
Frank772
I have the avr-7120 recv'r. The stand alone pwr amp is a beast. Dual pwr transformers. List 2 grand and can be had for less than half that at onecall. I have boasted on this forum about the sound quality of my avr-7120. Some are sceptical sticking to name brands(more popular brands that is...)and looking for feature laden recvr's. If you have a nice pre/pro-recv'r you will not regret the BA power amp. Boston's products are Sherwood products with BA name. Essentially you will own a Sherwood Newcastle as I do. It sounds fantastic. Do yourself a favor and do a google search on the avr-7120 as well as the other seperates by Boston. Read the reviews. My recv'r was described as sounding like seperates!!!. And I have been buying/selling/trading equipment for 25+ yrs. Top notch build and sound. Period.

A

augerpro

Enthusiast
The real question is can any other amp at $750 sound as good or better and have as much real power as the A7200? I doubt it.

I just bought this amp but haven't hooked it up yet. I figure once all the inventory is sold if I really don't like it I can sell it for $1-1.5k to some Sherwood Newcastle fan. I don't think you can go wrong with this purchase right now.

J

jdono52

Enthusiast
I can back up Mnnc on his statements regarding the AVR7120. I love this receiver. The build quality and power availabilty are outstanding. I have been thoroughly enjoying my receiver now for a couple of weeks and have no regrets about my purchase. Also of note, the Boston Acoustics service department is extremely helpful if any problems/support is needed. One of their technicians mentioned to me that they pride themselves on their service department and will do anything possible to help fix or replace a malfunctioning unit regardless of warranty terms. I have not had the opportunity to play with the 7200, but if it is anything like the 7120 you will not be dissapointed. Do keep in mind that there are several posts on here regarding other amp manufacturers that may be useful to your future purchase.

Good Luck

T

T-Bone

Enthusiast
I just purchased the A7200... using it to drive a set of Rockets: 550 MK IIs, Bigfoot, and RSS300 dipoles. I have a powered sub.

This is a really nice amp. Really not much more to say, except at loud volumes (10 under reference), there is no straining. $725 at OneCall. This is a killer price. The specs alone are impressive... and the sight of the 7 monoblock amps through the vented lid is amazing too. Oh, and did I mention it sounds good :)

-T

K

kennydg111

Audiophyte
I've had the A7200 for a few months now and I'm very pleased. I was using a yamaha 5860 and now use it as the preamp. It is though I'm listening to a different sound system. The brightness of the yamaha is gone and the sound is fuller and richer. For a 7 channel amp, it has to be one of the best deals going.

J

jagercola

Audioholic Intern
Ordered one today to power some Ascend speakers I have coming... Whoo Hoo!

F

frank772

Audiophyte
A7200

Thanks for the help all. I ended ordering it up yesterday. It is good that I did, Onecall has only a few left. Right now I will hook it up to my Onkyo 787. I will have a dediciated 20 amp circuit for this setup. I recommend the seperate circuit idea to anyone. The last house was setup this way and it totally improved my audio and video.
Thank You,
Frank772

J

jagercola

Audioholic Intern
My god... mine came today. This thing is a beast. It weighs half as much as I do. The Fed Ex guy about had a hernia just getting it to the door, then we both carried up 2 flights of steps. I'll be moving to a house in the next 1-2 months, so I'm tempted to just leave it in the box. It did have a sticker on it saying that it was made or recieved in April of 2005. BEEFY!

Edit: Sold Out Online

Last edited:
T

T-Bone

Enthusiast
Now that OC is sold out, we that purchased should feel VERY, VERY fortunate.

S

simpleHT

Audioholic Intern
frank772 said:
Thanks,
Frank772
If you have not pulled the trigger yet, you should look for somewhere else. The amp is no longer available at OneCall.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis