Boston Acoustic VR-M90, any thoughts?

E

ExtraCheese

Audioholic Intern
I auditioned these speakers (3-4 years ago) and I thought they were a step above the polk RTi's and Klipsch RF-5's the store was carrying (Good Guys, I think). I ended up buying a pair of JBL's because I couldn't afford the VR-M90's.

Does anyone have any opinion on these speakers? I just purchased a Denon 3805 receiver and it's time for a speaker upgrade. I can't seem to find ANYTHING online regarding these speakers...

For reference, my current choices are:
Paradigm Reference Studio 60's
Axiom mti80's
Klipsch RF-7's
Boston Acoustic VR-M90

-Naoki

G

gcmarshall

Full Audioholic
the only place i could find a dealer for the vrm90's was a specialty mom-pop store. and, they did not have them in stock - special order only. i coulnd't bring myself to pay that much (about $2,700 USD for the pair) sight unseen/unheard. i ended up buying the boston acoustics VR3 speakers, which i was able to demo. i am very happy with these. it's all up to your ears and wallet, though. i can hear that some more expensive floor-standing speakers sound better than my VR3, but i wasn't really willing to spend more than i did on the VR3's.

E

ExtraCheese

Audioholic Intern
Ah.. thanks for the response. I found a pair of VR-M90's for $1600.00 but they must be purchased sight unseen (new, with warranty).

May I ask what other speakers you auditioned in this price range ( < $2000) and how they compared with the VR3s?

G

gcmarshall

Full Audioholic
i looked at the standard fare from the chain "higher end" retailers, such as magnolia inside best buy and HiFi Buys (part of Tweeter). polk LSi15, polk rti10, Def Tech 7002, 7004. Martin Logan, Vienna Acoustics, etc.

I basically stayed away from anything rated <8 ohms, which eliminated Polk Lsi 15 and ML. Def Techs sounded good, but each has a power cord for the built in powered amp and i have too many plugs as it is. and, i didn't really care for the all black look from top to bottom on the def tech's. i wanted something with some real wood look to it. vienna acoustics sounded good, but was very expensive and i simply couldn't justify the price difference over the VR3's. i found the Polk RTi10 to be hollow and it just didn't sound full to me.

the Boston VR3's had a very good sound at a competitive price point for me, along with a nice cherry finish everywhere except the grill and general classic good looks. plus i previously used Boston HD10's as my main speakers and they always performed admirably, so i was a little biased to BA going into my research. the VR3 provided a little more thorough sound than my HD10's, so i will use the HD10 for a bedroom or basement application and i now use the VR3's as my main home theater/music listening speakers.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis