Bossobass Subwoofers

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Nice to see you, Dave. I enjoyed your exchanges with Harman over at AVS.

bossobass

bossobass

Enthusiast
External amps are just better, as long as rack space is available. There is no good reason not to go that route. They make cabinet construction simpler, they are less expensive, they are much better vented on a rack than sandwiched between a subwoofer cabinet and usually a wall, and that means less heat buildup in the cabinet which also helps the driver. You also only have to run one speaker cable to the cabinet instead of a line level cable and a power cord, so placement becomes easier. Furthermore, if the amp dies at any time in the future, you could just use any other amp instead of trying to source a similar sized plate amp.
This^^^ is precisely correct.;)

We've been testing amplifiers for a while now. There's little chance you'll get the A-14K in a plate amp with dual-half-bridged/single-full-bridged, dual gain attenuators, indicator lights, VPL, CPL and variable gain stage dip switches with >15,000 watts burst capability... ever.

And, if you could achieve all of that without having to turn the sub around to see the LEDs and adjust the control parameters, it most certainly would suffer a shortened life sharing a small sealed space with 2 violently moving 15" drivers.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
This^^^ is precisely correct.;)

We've been testing amplifiers for a while now. There's little chance you'll get the A-14K in a plate amp with dual-half-bridged/single-full-bridged, dual gain attenuators, indicator lights, VPL, CPL and variable gain stage dip switches with >15,000 watts burst capability... ever.

And, if you could achieve all of that without having to turn the sub around to see the LEDs and adjust the control parameters, it most certainly would suffer a shortened life sharing a small sealed space with 2 violently moving 15" drivers.

So you're saying this isn't quite the same thing??? :D:po_O

bossobass

bossobass

Enthusiast
Edge Of Tomorrow.

Having a Raptor System 3 in my HT and playing the disc for the first time at reference level with the subs bumped +5dBRL was nuts to Nancy insane!:eek::confused:

We've made videos of a pair of BHT-15s causing the vid camera to oscillate and the room to rattle like the spaceship in Interstellar and I have one of them that recorded my self laughing and mumbling some expletives.

Here's an animated gif of the comparison between the digital stream off the SW output of the player vs the Raptor System 3 mic'd at the seats using our gold standard ACO Pacific/Edirol measurement hardware through Spectrumlab:

Awesome stuff. You can not only see the harmonic distortion, you can calculate it fairly accurately. Our newly adopted color scale for SpecLab will reveal even more detail in most effects, but this one is unique among soundtrack effects.

It's essentially a descending muti-tone sinewave input signal encoded at balls-to-the-walls level.

Just amazing performance from any subwoofer anywhere on the planet at any price, in my biased opinion and experience.

Having fun on a Friday and wishing the same to you all!! :cool:

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
On a more serious note, you mentioned loading the Raptor with the HST-15 earlier and I know you mentioned testing it out over at the DB forums with good results. Any plans on swapping out the BHTs with Nick's gear, and what would that do to the system cost?

Also related, a "Mini-Raptor" / "Kestrel" with the 11 or 12" HST would be pretty cool for guys that want the deepest content, but don't need reference output or are extremely space limited.

D

Defcon

Audioholic
I think the bossobass subs are fantastic from everything I've read, and this kind of design appeals to me a lot more over the traditional box subs for following reasons -

- tube design is lighter and smaller
- built in EQ and curve shaping
- amp and driver are high quality

I would buy one if I could afford it.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
4hz +0-3db? wth.

when is this going through data-bass testing?
i've always oggled this back in the avs forum days.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis