Bose: Why Audiophiles Should Stop the Hate

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
"stellar engineering" seems to be quite a subjective term.
They DO have some of the best industrial designers on earth though, that's to their credit, but that's about it.
I would say the Macbook Air, the macpro, and the Macbook pro are unequalled in the industry. No consumer computer company comes even close.

Bose on the other hand. bleh!

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
A while back my brother met the lead Engineer behind the Bose Clock radio. He asked him to honestly say what he thought about the product. The Bose Engineer replied "we did an amazing job on the product for a $50 budget". :rolleyes:

MapleSyrup

MapleSyrup

Audioholic
Such an eclectic range of study and investment is the result of overactive genius with an enthusiasm for engineering - not a charlatan concerned only with profit. Sadly, Bose is the last of a dying breed.
While personal enthusiasm is clearly responsible for Bose's "eclectic range of study", without the profits Bose has made, many of these studied may never have seen the light of day. Profits and enthusiam truly do go hand-in-hand to make better things for the world.

T

TimMc

Audiophyte
I would say the Macbook Air, the macpro, and the Macbook pro are unequalled in the industry. No consumer computer company comes even close.
Don't get out much, eh?

Sorry, but there are just way too many variables and viewpoints involved to blindly accept that hyperbole. It's certainly not that those are bad products - far from it - but they are simply not all that exceptional nor universally applicable for every consumer's needs. And then there's that little issue of once you acquire one it also pretty much demands one to buy into the whole Apple mystique crud. It's really not bad stuff but it's also really not worth getting all religulous about, ya know? Kinda like Bose...

Apple will still do fine for a while as long as Steve's minions can continue their Pharoah Phandom. I do wish him well and hope he's comfortable.

V

vadergeta

Audiophyte
i wonder how much bose paid audioholics for this article

Shock

Shock

Audioholic General
If BOSE paid me enough I would endorse their products. Hell if Apple paid me enough........nah........I'm not that much of a sell out.

:)

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
If Bose is indeed this "corrupt" then the real question is how intelligent people are... Successful marketing cant deceptive- over decades. Deceptive marketing isn't successful long. Bose has continued to make products that its customers want to buy. Apple is the same way.

People don't buy what you do, but why you do it. (Simon Sinek) Apple is a company that believes in pushing the status quo, creating design driven products. They just happen to make computers. Bose is a company that believes in questioning limitations and working toward ways to overcome them. They just happen to make speakers.

Bose has found a way to create a products that sit atop the market share list for a giant industry with a lot of players. You CANNOT do that with marketing. You do it with an extremely well executed vision of creating products that customers will need and providing innovative solutions.

Taking a look at how these types of products are adopted by consumers sheds some light on the success of Bose.

"Audiophile" products provide a massive (confusing) feature set that is difficult and offensive to most consumers just looking to improve their viewing experience. Bose provided a solution with a compromise of the audio quality that Joe Consumer was willing to sacrifice to get an easy solution.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Innovative? The cube speakers and "bass module" have been the same for decades.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Well.. my opinion is this. It has nothing to do with Hi FI.

If you've got funds, and your tagline is "better sound through research", then i expect some.. ya know... results that consistently correlate with other industry research?

I don't hate anything that's big and powerful. I think 95% of us here are Harman fans plain and simple. Why? Because they actually strive for the Bose tagline "Better Sound Through Research"?

Heck, if you look at some of Floyd Toole's research:

http://www.theaudiocritic.com/back_issues/The_Audio_Critic_28_r.pdf

A key phrase is "what do listeners say they like" - IE an attempt to actually observe subjectivism with biases removed. It's not just audio but basically anything to do with engineering in the whole world, then you've abandoned the ability to understand how to meaninfully describe, create, recreate, and operate a technology. It's not just about audio elitism.

As for garbage Radioshack/Walmart Brands etc... I do dislike them too but the thing is - who is it that would buy em and do I have any power to step them? If you ask me as a person who did work at a wal mart for a few months once, it was depressed looking, out of shape, middle aged, probably divorced (and/or married to deadbeat douchebags) mothers of three living paycheck to paycheck who neither cared about "quality" nor did they appear to expect it.. I don't often get in touch with that particular demographic. Bose' demographic is more well-off people who truly, genuinely THINK they're going to be getting the best.

On a somewhat unrelated note, it's the "doesn't know much but more well-off mother" demographic that perpetuates the gaming industry to make so much unadulterated crap... they literally used to walk into the electronics sections, ask the clueless clerks what game their "won't even play it past twenty minutes" children will like best.

Not to sound sexist or anything, because there's lots of critical thinking women, but the majority of middle aged moms should not be within 20 feet of an electronics section.

Last edited:
GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
"Audiophile" products provide a massive (confusing) feature set that is difficult and offensive to most consumers just looking to improve their viewing experience. Bose provided a solution with a compromise of the audio quality that Joe Consumer was willing to sacrifice to get an easy solution.
I would buy your argument if other companies weren't able to make "easy solutions" at comparable prices with notably superior fidelity... Focal Dome, Infinity Total Solutions, RBH CT, it's not like other companies don't realize what you're saying... but what Bose has done is given the impression that even trying an alternative is a waste of time.

Go to a best buy, check out the bose setup. Then try to even hear anything besides FM Radio on the Infinity/Klipsch/Onkyo/Pioneer etc setups. To a person looking for their first go with better audio than TV speakers, they're naturally inclined to not gravitate towards what is set up for them to.. ya know, hear.

the alternative is that they pick the same brand as their TV choice (samsung/panasonic/Sony)

G

gpost3

Banned
Then try to even hear anything besides FM Radio on the Infinity/Klipsch/Onkyo/Pioneer etc setups.
+1. I could never tune anything on those receivers. They were all running FM. Bose probably pays the **** out of best buy to keep them that way.

I only ever owned two Bose products. One was the 2.0 pc speaker and the other around the ear headphones. Initially I was impressed but it took only a few weeks to realize that they were overpriced. Speakers is not their thing. Headphones, maybe are but the around ear thingys I had were too bass heavy. The only thing I found was they were super comfy. Other than that, my Pro Deluxe Cheapy headphone I got for free sound better.

I should say though that Bose isn't anywhere NEAR as bad as some of the audiophile "Cable" manufacturers who claim their cables may improve your sex life.
Literally I had a sales rep try to sell me $4000 worth of cable for my $200 worth of audio system claiming he heard a big difference upgrading from $2000 to $4000 worth of cable and that the results were therapeutic. Money aside, but I left the shop emotionally disappointed wishing to afford a cable like that when it is actually not needed and that is the part that actually hurts and can be sort of dangerous depending on the person. I have 0 tolerance towards sales people trying to rip off innocent customers who put their trust in them and Bose surely comes close.

Apple is just as bad if not worse. iPads/Phones are nothing revolutionary. They forked OS X using UNIX and under GPL, they should give out their source code which makes use of UNIX kernel. But that is not the scope of this forum/thread.

So how about we create a short ban list thread here and ban some of the companies out to help our newbies? How is this for a start:

1. Monster
2. VH Audio
3. Bose
4. Apple

And for newbies, don't be fooled by speakers claiming to use "Gold Platted" speaker terminals. You can buy that **** for as little as $6.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=260-309

Last edited:
Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
You might want to find out a little more about a person before you making comments such as that.:rolleyes:
haha.

I am familiar with Apple products as well. Having a large stake in a company that makes products exclusively for MacBooks, Ipads and Iphones, has gotten me very familiar with their legal team.
We also use Macs for sound editing at the animation studio, but that is all the use it gets. It sure does look pretty sitting there in the booth.

For everything else, we use Dell PC workstations hooked up to a Lantech render farm. A little outside of consumer level stuff, but those things have massive horsepower and never fail.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis