A

avdoubleu

Audioholic Intern
Hello audioholics,

Now before everyone starts hating on me I can assume that most of the members on here do not like Bose, as I have found that avid audio people think its garbage. I cant help but think that when I listen to the displays at a store its sounds phenomenal (in my opinion). I currently have a 7.1 Yamaha RX-V565 receiver and all Polk Audio speakers and not the cheap plastic ones I have two towers for the front, bookshelf for the rear and a 10" sub. I've spent lots of time tweaking the system and I still think that Bose sounds better.

I had a budget of $1000 for my audio spent about $1200 total.

Is there something I'm missing? I feel as though I could trade my speakers for the Bose Acoustimass 10 series.

Any input of advise would be greatly appreciated. This is my first post ever so please... Don't be hatin.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

In the end, my advice is to buy what you like the best. That said, can you list some of the things that you like better about the Bose system(s) that you heard? We might be able to help you correct any issues with your current set up, if there are any.

Also, have you heard any of the Bose systems in your home? How a system sounds in your house isn't necessarily (and most likely won't be) the same as it sounds in the store.

I'm assuming so, but I'll ask - did you run the Yamaha YPAO auto calibration set up on your receiver?

A

avdoubleu

Audioholic Intern
As far as what I like more about Bose it would be that is sounds so crisp. I think those little cube speakers give some movie theater sound. I also like the compact size. My girlfriend hates the speakers I have now because they take up too much room.

I have not heard it in my house before either. I think I'm just going to go buy it and install both, decide which I like, and get rid of the other.

I did run the YPAO. Doesn't that only calculate distance away from the mic? I didn't like how it calculated the subwoofer at all. I like lots of bass whether it's music, movies, or games.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
As for setting both of them up and deciding which you like the best, that's a good plan. Then again, whichever sounds the best, the gf is probably going to win. :D

I've never used YPAO, but I've used the equivalent system on my Pioneers. It not only sets speaker distances, it sets their levels, and (most importantly to me) adjusts equalizer settings to help compensate for your room acoustics and speaker characteristics.

The receiver has various listening modes that you can try to see if any of them sound good to you. It's entirely possible that you just don't like the Polks - I didn't really like the ones that I auditioned, but that's been over ten years ago.

A lot of people like Bose gear. Those cube systems have definite acoustic limitations, but if those limitations aren't apparent to you or don't bother you, then set it up and enjoy! I think it's good to come to forums to get info on how to get systems up and running well, and to learn about the pros/cons of different ones. In the end, though, enjoying what you get is the biggest thing.

selkec

selkec

Audioholic
I have to say I am shocked this has been asked. even the laws of physics prove what bose is missing. The saying is no highs no lows BOSE. I have a complete polk system with an elite reciever, emotiva amp. and ed a5350 sub and it would take 50 bose systems and still not compete with my system.
Can I ask what models of polks you have?

baniels

baniels

Audioholic
IF you decide on Bose, be sure you are given a solid return window. You need to hear it in your own environment.

I don't know if they still do it, but I have read numerous accounts of Bose in-store demos being powered by a rack of external amps and equalizers behind a curtain/in another room. It's old, but here is one.

selkec

selkec

Audioholic
IF you decide on Bose, be sure you are given a solid return window. You need to hear it in your own environment.

I don't know if they still do it, but I have read numerous accounts of Bose in-store demos being powered by a rack of external amps and equalizers behind a curtain/in another room. It's old, but here is one.
I have also heard that many times.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
It is good to demo products - however, the 565 Yamaha is not real
strong to begin with. You would be lucky, to get 35 watts RMS power
in surround mode.

A

avdoubleu

Audioholic Intern
I have to say I am shocked this has been asked. even the laws of physics prove what bose is missing. The saying is no highs no lows BOSE. I have a complete polk system with an elite reciever, emotiva amp. and ed a5350 sub and it would take 50 bose systems and still not compete with my system.
Can I ask what models of polks you have?
I have read this many times that the laws of sound can't be possible with Bose. As far as my speakers go I'm not at home right now so I can't get them. I know on Polk Audios web site they are the cheapest ones they advertise. Like I said though I'm on a budget.

A

avdoubleu

Audioholic Intern
It is good to demo products - however, the 565 Yamaha is not real
strong to begin with. You would be lucky, to get 35 watts RMS power
in surround mode.
What's something good for around $300? My buddy just bought a Yamaha for $2500 and said if you're going to do it, do it right the first time. That's just not in my price range at all.

A

avdoubleu

Audioholic Intern
As for setting both of them up and deciding which you like the best, that's a good plan. Then again, whichever sounds the best, the gf is probably going to win. :D

I've never used YPAO, but I've used the equivalent system on my Pioneers. It not only sets speaker distances, it sets their levels, and (most importantly to me) adjusts equalizer settings to help compensate for your room acoustics and speaker characteristics.

The receiver has various listening modes that you can try to see if any of them sound good to you. It's entirely possible that you just don't like the Polks - I didn't really like the ones that I auditioned, but that's been over ten years ago.

A lot of people like Bose gear. Those cube systems have definite acoustic limitations, but if those limitations aren't apparent to you or don't bother you, then set it up and enjoy! I think it's good to come to forums to get info on how to get systems up and running well, and to learn about the pros/cons of different ones. In the end, though, enjoying what you get is the biggest thing.

Thank you Adam.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
What's something good for around $300? My buddy just bought a Yamaha for $2500 and said if you're going to do it, do it right the first time. That's just not in my price range at all.
For your budget, this Yamaha - refurbish price
Newegg.com - Recertified: YAMAHA RX-A700 7.1-Channel AVENTAGE Series Home Theater Receiver

Brand new price - on close out pricing
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-A700-7-1-Channel-Audio-Receiver/dp/B003XDU49S/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1322106481&sr=8-11

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/aventage/rx-a700_black__u/

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis