D

DaveOCP

Audioholic
tyspeed29 said:
Please explain to me in detail why Bose products are junk, I'm not a noob to sound systems, but I need more of an explaination than that.

Fine they are over priced, but I think they have great speakers, if you dissagree please explain why!
There's a critical frequency range of around 150hz - 300hz where the Bose garbage has little to no response at all. Would you like to drive over a bridge that is "mostly complete"?

There's a website that tore apart a Bose acoustimass system, and documented the materials and drivers used. Bose uses the cheapest possible plastic and fiberboard, and the lowest quality drivers you can buy. It just makes me so angry that there are dozens of speaker companies from Acapella Audio Arts to Wisdom Audio that all lose business to the Dr. Bose marketing machine. The only company more guilty of using hype and fancy marketing to sell garbage than Monster Cable is Bose.

I've talked to a guy who works for Bose's car division, and he said that even they are ashamed of the garbage that the home division sells,

T

tyspeed29

Audiophyte
Wow, I'm just blown away from that. Can you give me that website, would like to read more about it.

I thought they were a good set of speakers. I still would like more information, is there any other site that has a forum just on bose problems, or complaints?

D

DaveOCP

Audioholic
tyspeed29 said:
Wow, I'm just blown away from that. Can you give me that website, would like to read more about it.

I thought they were a good set of speakers. I still would like more information, is there any other site that has a forum just on bose problems, or complaints?
I think someone already posted this link, but here it is again. No subwoofer should be asked to reproduce a range higher than 100hz, and the ideal would be 80hz and below, and any decent sub should be able to hit down to at least 30hz. The "bass module" not only cant go any lower than a half decent monitor speaker, but its asked to go well into the lower midrange because of the pathetic 300hz roll off of the satellites. And even with vocals coming out of a port tube (the bass module uses every dirty trick in the book to get maximum output at the expense of sound quality) there's still a 100hz wide gap thats simply MIA.

Just the fact that the best speaker Bose has is a 45+ year old design that is so sonically flawed that it needs an EQ to not sound horrific should make every alarm bell go off.

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

If you really need something small, check out Mirage's Omnisat V2. They are almost as small as the Bose cubes, but have a real midrange driver and tweeter, and a real, honest-to-goodness 70hz-20khz frequency response, like a proper speaker should.

Last edited:
Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
DaveOCP said:
I think someone already posted this link, but here it is again. No subwoofer should be asked to reproduce a range higher than 100hz, and the ideal would be 80hz and below, and any decent sub should be able to hit down to at least 30hz. The "bass module" not only cant go any lower than a half decent monitor speaker, but its asked to go well into the lower midrange because of the pathetic 300hz roll off of the satellites. And even with vocals coming out of a port tube (the bass module uses every dirty trick in the book to get maximum output at the expense of sound quality) there's still a 100hz wide gap thats simply MIA.

Just the fact that the best speaker Bose has is a 45+ year old design that is so sonically flawed that it needs an EQ to not sound horrific should make every alarm bell go off.

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

If you really need something small, check out Mirage's Omnisat V2. They are almost as small as the Bose cubes, but have a real midrange driver and tweeter, and a real, honest-to-goodness 70hz-20khz frequency response, like a proper speaker should.

Actually, if you read the link closely, the Bose Cubes are at 220Hz at -6dB. Hardly what I call a 100Hz gap, but a dip in the response nonetheless. High end response at 13KHz is -10, ouch.

SheepStar

Z

ZoFo

Audioholic
Why I hate Bose

Talked to my sister while she was in town for X-mas, she was so proud of her new "Bose" speakers and was talking about saving up for cubes to use as surrounds. They sounded great, expecially with the Monster Cable to guys told her she MUST have for this system to work.

She was tired of having guys hook up her stereo's and tell her what to buy and she wanted to do it all herself without even calling me and look what happened to her, what she spent her hard earned money for. When I told her the truth about Bose & Monster hype and what she really bought she was angry and felt foolish to say the least. I would have given her better speakers that I have just lying around gathering dust.

I hate my my faimly members get riped-off; it just pisses me of seeing people get taken advantage of and this is what Bose and Monster do and to make matters worse you have these salsemen who people do listen to taking these products up and saying they "must use Monster cable" or it will not work or will sound like crap. This is just flat out WRONG.

I have a Bose 301 and an Athena AS-B1 sitting around for people to compare "Bose Quality" to; the Athena speaker was cheaper then the Bose but it does not take an expert to see the painfully obvious differences in quality of components between these two speakers; the Bose is a plastic peice of junk with paper drivers like the ones you used to pull out of AM transistor radios when you were a kid. Bose has spring-clips to hold the speaker wires in, they don't even spring for a cheap binding post that will last more than a year or two that the spring-clips do. The speaker grill does not even come off on their center-channel; guess they don't want you to see the materials their drivers are made out of!

I would have NO PROBLEM with Bose if they didn't lie so much in their advertising and priced their product for what it really is; not the hype they advertise it to be.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
The springs look better with age. Rust adds nostalgia.

T

tyspeed29

Audiophyte
Thanks guys, gonna check out those recommended satellites.
Anyone like to buy my Bose system? ALl these years owning Bose systems, I feel victimized!

Its The Bose Acoutimass 16 with VCS-10 center channel.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
tyspeed29 said:
Anyone like to buy my Bose system? ALl these years owning Bose systems, I feel victimized!

One word.

Ebay.

SheepStar

J

JaceTheAce

Audioholic
ZoFo said:
Talked to my sister while she was in town for X-mas, she was so proud of her new "Bose" speakers and was talking about saving up for cubes to use as surrounds. They sounded great, expecially with the Monster Cable to guys told her she MUST have for this system to work.

She was tired of having guys hook up her stereo's and tell her what to buy and she wanted to do it all herself without even calling me and look what happened to her, what she spent her hard earned money for. When I told her the truth about Bose & Monster hype and what she really bought she was angry and felt foolish to say the least. I would have given her better speakers that I have just lying around gathering dust.

I hate my my faimly members get riped-off; it just pisses me of seeing people get taken advantage of and this is what Bose and Monster do and to make matters worse you have these salsemen who people do listen to taking these products up and saying they "must use Monster cable" or it will not work or will sound like crap. This is just flat out WRONG.

I have a Bose 301 and an Athena AS-B1 sitting around for people to compare "Bose Quality" to; the Athena speaker was cheaper then the Bose but it does not take an expert to see the painfully obvious differences in quality of components between these two speakers; the Bose is a plastic peice of junk with paper drivers like the ones you used to pull out of AM transistor radios when you were a kid. Bose has spring-clips to hold the speaker wires in, they don't even spring for a cheap binding post that will last more than a year or two that the spring-clips do. The speaker grill does not even come off on their center-channel; guess they don't want you to see the materials their drivers are made out of!

I would have NO PROBLEM with Bose if they didn't lie so much in their advertising and priced their product for what it really is; not the hype they advertise it to be.
Wow, did your sister return her Bose system? I hope so!

J

JaceTheAce

Audioholic
tyspeed29 said:

Sell it on eBay - I can GUARANTEE you that they'll sell for almost what you paid for due to the excellent use of marketing hype by Bose! Did you see my first post on this thread??? Two acoustimass speakers (WITHOUT THE ACOUSTITRASH BASS MODULE!) sold for $200-something dollars.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis