J

JaceTheAce

Audioholic
C

corey

Senior Audioholic
Roflmao !

edit:
The above should be in all caps -- some how the forum software doesn't allow it.

Naves74

Naves74

Junior Audioholic
Man I want some acustomas too!

That is my favorite when my girlfriend drags me to a mall and I go to the bose store and have a chat with the sales team.

One time I went through the whole tour where they take the big speaker grills down and the cubes or behind them and lights shine on them and you are supposed be be in aww such "big sound comes from such small speakers". The guy tried to tell me that Bose creates "3D" sound with thier new acustomas. I asked him dont you need either alot of speakers or the speakers on tracks moving to make 3D sound and he admitted it wasnt 3D sound. I know my speakers aren't top of the line or anything but I told him my system and he told me they had nothing in the store that was near my system.

They just prey on the ignorance of people it is said.

$3,000 for 5 crappy speakers and crappy reciver and a sub that is worth $5 dollars LOL

Matt34

Matt34

JaceTheAce said:
This is my first post here. Just like every other Audiophile out there I am a Bose-Hater... we'll start off by showing an eBay auction with the two satellite cubes ALONE going for $208 with bidders! I can't believe this people are spending this much... little do they know it doesn't even include the poorly engineered Bose subwoofer. They need to be slapped.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BOSE-Double-Cube-Speakers-Series-III-BLACK_W0QQitemZ5844013167QQcategoryZ64616QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Damn!:eek: They went for $222, I think I just discovered where my acoustimas(sp) III and 701s are going up for sale. People will buy anything on Ebay.:D

.....and welcome to Audioholics JaceTheAce!

Last edited:
J

jmanlp

Audioholic
Selling your Bose stuff on Ebay after you have seen the light is like a rehabilitated drug addict selling his "stash" on the streets after he doesn't want to get loaded anymore.

Anyhow I would do the same thing, just to talk them up too much... :)

gellor

gellor

Full Audioholic
Matt34 said:
Damn!:eek: They went for $222, I think I just discovered where my acoustimas(sp) III and 701s are going up for sale. People will buy anything on Ebay.:D
Yep...Weird Al did a song about it a couple years ago. :)

B

blacksquid

Audioholic Intern
Matt34 said:
Alright, who's going to buy my blose set?!:p
Don't worry Matt, some unenlightened eBayer will. 8^) <a href=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5836950778&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESO%3AIT&rd=1>My old system</a> just sold for >$300. I feel kinda guilty though... Not!

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Matt34 said:
People will buy anything on Ebay.:D
Dont you remember when there was a rash of sales where people saw images of Jesus and Mary on the old half eaten food and stuff.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
Hey my Jesus-bagel is a keepsake. It's not as nice as the Mary English muffin I wanted, but who has that kind of cash? I've got my eye on a prune shaped like Peter and a Halo shaped donut.

C

chikoo

Audioholic Intern
how come some of u have the Bose systems to begin with???

J

JaceTheAce

Audioholic
chikoo said:
how come some of u have the Bose systems to begin with???
They were caught up in Bose's marketing manipulation, just like my parents were. :D

The good thing is they moved on to audiophile speakers such as B&W, etc!

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Takeereasy said:
Hey my Jesus-bagel is a keepsake. It's not as nice as the Mary English muffin I wanted, but who has that kind of cash? I've got my eye on a prune shaped like Peter and a Halo shaped donut.
:D LOL, ROFL :D

JeffD2.

JeffD2.

Audioholic
One of my best friends has this three speaker setup: The TV up front with the Bose center channel on top of it. What would normally be the right front (Bose 301 bookshelf) is in the upper left corner of the room coupled with what would normally be the left front in the rear left corner of the room :confused: :confused: . And no sub.

He thinks its the greatest thing in world. He's as proud as a pig in poop. I've never uttered a peep about it.

Classic example of ignorance is bliss.

M

marrypoppins

Audioholic Intern
I don't know why everyone on here rips on Bose. As a company they sell a product for a huge gain at minimum of cost, sounds pretty successful to me. I realize that there product is not worth the money, but neither are those Abercombie jeans with holes in them, but they sell like hotcakes and more then the perfect ones. Truth is Bose isn't advertising to you, they are advertising to the person that wants a small easy to use system. Can anyone out there name a smaller, more easy to use surround sound system. As far as advertising who else is doing it. I realize that that Axiom, Hsu, and Svs advertise on speaker forums, but 99% of people aren't on speaker forums. I see Bose advertisments on commercials during peak watching hours, who else does that. If you wanted to own a large speaker store and make a maximum profit ask yourself, would I cary Bose, I would. Im not arguing that Bose speakers blose, I use mine as a paper weight, but ask all my friends and they are the best, as a company what more could you ask for.

T

tyspeed29

Audiophyte
Not sure why everyone raggs on Bose speaker systems. I personally own the acoustimass 16 system, which I expanded with the VSC center channel, which makes my system, 7.1 with the front sub, and a rear sub. For living in an apartment its ideal. Using Sony DA4ES reciever also.

Also added a separate Adcom amp to just power the center channel, so my system takes whatever sound I can through at it, never had the system distort at all.

They are over priced, but there system and technology is great.

I used to own a big system, and if I did own my own home, I might go back to NHT speakers, which I loved. But Bose are portable, compact, they are small enough not to be noticed in my living room, which makes them more ideal. I love them, and if I had the money would buy there new system that has the smaller speakers.

E

einsteinjb

Audioholic
tyspeed29 said:
Not sure why everyone raggs on Bose speaker systems. I personally own the acoustimass 16 system, which I expanded with the VSC center channel, which makes my system, 7.1 with the front sub, and a rear sub. For living in an apartment its ideal. Using Sony DA4ES reciever also.

Also added a separate Adcom amp to just power the center channel, so my system takes whatever sound I can through at it, never had the system distort at all.

They are over priced, but there system and technology is great.

I used to own a big system, and if I did own my own home, I might go back to NHT speakers, which I loved. But Bose are portable, compact, they are small enough not to be noticed in my living room, which makes them more ideal. I love them, and if I had the money would buy there new system that has the smaller speakers.
Congratulations. You are the perfect Bose customer.

To me a perfect analogy to compare Bose to companies like SVS, Ascend, Axiom and others, is the difference between a lawyer who makes his living defending hardened criminals and killers, and one who only takes cases he believes in, where he truly feels the defendant is innocent. Do you respect the former for doing what he can to make a lot of money? Or do you respect the latter for doing what he thinks is right and trying to help deserving people, without taking advantage of the innocent?

Bose is an example of a brilliant business model, if making maximum profits is the only goal. Personally I can not respect them anymore than I can respect drug dealers and others who make a fortune praying on the ignorance of innocent people. That's probably too strong an analogy since Bose isn't killing any babies, but the principle is the same -- they're stealing money from people who don't know any better.

If they dropped their prices to something like what their products are worth and made their advertising more realistic and truthful, I'd have no problem with them and the garbage they produce. (Oops did I say "garbage" out loud? ;) )

T

tyspeed29

Audiophyte
Please explain to me in detail why Bose products are junk, I'm not a noob to sound systems, but I need more of an explaination than that.

Fine they are over priced, but I think they have great speakers, if you dissagree please explain why!

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
There are countless posts that get into the details of why Bose has issues. The biggest issue is that they really don't have any technology at all. They use small typical speakers with paper cones, there is no magic there. Find the absolute cheapest 5.1 setup at Best Buy - you know, the Insignia $133.00 pacakge... Those speakers are equal to the quality of the Bose Speakers - zero quality improvement. The bass module (not subwoofer) may provide a bit more than the cheapie Best Buy system, but not a whole lot.

So, you pay $1,500+ for a system that is comparible to a sub $150.00 system and are happy with it.

Now, what is actually missing? There is a website (don't have the URL on this PC - but search old posts) that shows that the speakers actually miss entire frequency ranges. The bass module doesn't hit the low stuff, this is a gimme, but above the module, and below the tiny speakers is a whole range that the speakers are entirely unable to reproduce which means you are completely incapable of hearing that audio. On a good movie or CD, you will instantly know the difference when you sit down and listen to the same source material on full range speakers with a decent sub.

My gripe is not with their product, it is with their product AT THAT PRICE! At least 5 to 10 times the actual cost they should be.

Other peeves?

1. They typically don't include enough inputs to allow you to properly connect the rest of your A/V gear through the system.

2. Proprietary connections make upgrading impossible.

3. Skimpy wiring is of questionable quality.

4. Where's the HDMI from the DVD player?

5. No specifications on any equipment on their site.

6. False claims by the company that they have actually invented 'new' technology when they have made insignificant changes to a speaker. "Patented Silvack technology for better listening!" - Yes, you are correct, the speaker is in fact silver AND black. Well worth a patent.

There are many users of this site who speak loud about avoiding snake oil. Product claims that are meaningless or products that cost far more than they should are worth ragging about.

Don't you think? If not, I have a high quality Yugo I will be happy to sell you. Under the Bose philosophy I will need to charge you at least $50,000 for this vehicle though. ;)

E

einsteinjb

Audioholic
tyspeed29 said:
Please explain to me in detail why Bose products are junk, I'm not a noob to sound systems, but I need more of an explaination than that.

Fine they are over priced, but I think they have great speakers, if you dissagree please explain why!
OK you want an explanation? Here ya go:

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

Need more? OK try this:

http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/loudspeakers/faceoff1.php

More? Search this forum for "Bose" and spend a few minutes. Mixed in with the "Bose sucks" comments you'll find PLENTY of reasons. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis