Bose Loudspeaker Myth

Z

Zonker

Audiophyte
I bought Bose cubes (Acoutimass) 10 years ago when they were "super-cool". I am now upgrading my Home Theater.

I have generally been pleased with the Bose cubes (mostly talk radio, tv, and ppv movies). My music comes from my PC (mp3's). I think the fan adds much white noise that I can't seem to eliminate.

I understand Bose takes a beating because of their overly aggressive marketing and some lower quality materials, but with the PC's white noise will speakers matter much?

Why should I get the Onkyo SKS-HT240's instead of keep the Bose system? I intend to bring my own CD to compare, what should I look for?

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

The simple fact is that Bose is overpriced. If they were selling these $3500 systems for say $500 you probably wouldn't hear anyone complain about them. I am sure there are quite a few of us that can take that same $3500 and put together a HT that would make the Bose system sound like a walkman.

I would have a budget in mind, then take your cds and listen to speakers that are in your price range. Take your time and listen to as many different speakers as you can. Let your ears decide what is best!

If you let us know your budget and we can at least point you in the right direction.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

There's tons of great speakers that will best what you have now for less money. Be sure to take some CDs that you know very well, but don't be afraid to look into the direct-sales brands, too. Paradigm and PSB make some sweet speakers for the money, although of course I'd make a few more suggestions if I knew what your budget was.

Don't sell you PC short- it can be a great music server. There's lots you can do to make your computer quieter, from very simple mods like replacing the fans with something Zalman or SilenX models and changing out the PS to more complex ones like changing cases, adding DynoMax, etc. With a good soundcard and quiet fans (and quiet HDs, like the Seagate Barracuda) you'll be amazed at how good you PC works as a jukebox.

J

jrw222

Enthusiast
To rgriffen25: But let's look at the high-end Axiom speakers for example. They cost a ton, too. Are you really getting a better set of speakers by Axiom? What are the differences that set them apart from the Bose?

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

Post a link to the Axiom speakers you are referring to. I don't have any experience with Axiom speakers. I am sure someone else here who has can tell you why they are better.

I do know the materials that Bose uses to build their speakers are subpar, and they do not post any specs for their speakers other than the cabinent size. I even contacted Bose asking for the frequency response and effeciency of their speakers. Here is a link to the response I received. BOSE response

For me this response was simply unsatisfactory. :(

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
What are you running those Bose with now?

The HT market has taken off greatly in the past ten years. Since then, you now have a dedicated LFE/subwoofer output whereby the deep, deep bass goes to a dedicated subwoofer. With your current speakers you won't be able to aviail yourself of that. IIRC, all connections go to your bass box and from there to the speakers, right?

Far be it from me to dissuade someone from his pleasure. Personally, even while they scored high in the cute/tiny scale ten years ago, there might not have been much competiton then. I still found them overpriced and lacking in sound but that's just me. Style figure high in some people's list of priorities.

K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
i cant tell you exactly how much better of a deal axiom is since i dont know much about how bose speakers are made, but axioms are very nice quality.

honestly i cant see the comparison. bose and axiom have completely different marketing, and building strategies. bose is overpriced, while axiom sells for cheaper, by making smaller drivers in their speakers. Axiom concentrates on highs and mids, and expects you to get a sub, so the lows while very accurate arent very extended. Even the front speakers, dont have as much bass as other floor standings, like psb or paradigm, monitor audio etc. They do however get the job done, just maybe not as extended as others.

http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/loudspeakers/faceoff3_h.php

(if you read the reviewfor the axiom bookshelf speakers, it says they didnt think it was worth time to review since the price was so low, but were very pleasently shocked at the high quality, and the competition it gave to speakers that were triple the price.)

bose would probobly be up there in price, and id assume one of the lower in ranks.

axiom uses aluminum drivers and titanium tweeters. bose uses cheap untreated paper.

Last edited:
K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
the experience i did have with bose was unimpressive, sears has these small *** bose speakers for 1000 bucks, with the receiver and 5.1 set up..

it sounded about as good , and was about as large as my logitech computer speaker set up. but i only paid 40 bucks for my computer speakers, 150 new.. 40 bucks used.

J

jrw222

Enthusiast
Very interesting links to Bose reviews and responses. I think the response Griff posted says it all. BTW: I am by no means endorsing Bose speakers, I am a neophyte and am just picking minds to learn as much as I can before I buy a system.

Thanks for the input!

JRW

M

marius

Enthusiast
If you're using the onboard audio chip (integrated into motherboard) you will most likely get noise. Make sure you get a decent sound card. Chaintech AV-710 for $30 works well.

Rowdy S13

Rowdy S13

Audioholic Chief
Id have to say that if you really want to use youre computer as a juke box wich isnt a bad idea you should definatly spend some good money on a sound card. While it isnt nessicary to get an insane card The Audigy Sound Blaster 2 is a phenomonal card and isnt all that expensive and is droping in price bacause its been replaced by the 4. Any of them are good but if you can afford it Id say get the Pro. A few sites to check out for that stuff would be Tiger Direct and New Egg. I dont want to give links cause thats not exactly fair but both are .com Ive dealt a lot with both and there both great sites and have very good coustomer service you could always give them a call and see what they say to. Its never a bad idea to ask questions espically when its youre money that youre spending. All I can say about the speakers and the computer is research research research and asking around this site and looking at there reviews is a very good place to start. As far as speakers Ive heard more than a few Bose systems and have never been impressed even when I really didnt know what to listen for but as Ive said before its all pesonal preferance.

Sean

K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
yeah im not sure if these posts were from my reply about my computer speakers but yeah i have a creative sound blaster live 5.1 sound card..

got it a few years ago for like 70 bucks... my computer is pimp enough for now.. i just want some more ht speakers.

Last edited:
A

awesomebase

Audioholic
Depends on priorities

Well, it is easy to attack BOSE much like it is to attack Monster. Both arguably do the job they are intended to do. But, in reality, they are very overpriced for what you get. I liken it to getting a luxury sports sedan with a underpowered 4-cylinder engine... it may look nice, but in reality, it doesn't do as well as its competition.
Having said this, I own a pair of BOSE bookshelf speakers, but when I upgraded to Klipsch Reference series speakers, the difference was literally night and day. BOSE was just so underpowered and lacked a lot of detail and especially lacked good, solid, well-balanced base. Even with my old SONY receiver, the Klipsch speakers sounded MUCH better than the BOSE. If BOSE speaker systems priced themselves at about 1/4 of what they normally charge, you probably wouldn't see as many complaints about their sound quality. The problem is that, in a market where pricing is so competitive, you have to wonder how much longer the masses will continue overspending on BOSE speakers and Monster cables. For those that do their homework, other speaker alternatives will most certainly be less costly and outperform the BOSE speakers. Also, on a personal note, even though my BOSE 301s are ok, the materials used are pretty cheap. That is the irony as well. My Klipsch speakers all have cerametallic materials and are very-well constructed. Even the cabinets are solid with tight seams. The speaker grills attach magnetically, making the old "snap-in" types seem just plain silly (not to mention that almost every one of my friends and neighbors that have that type of grill on their speakers have broken tabs). The binding posts are also top quality and can take by GLS banana plugs and cabling with little effort and are just as solid as I've seen on any kind of high-quality speaker.
Even though the BOSE showroom had a good sound system set up, it just didn't seem full enough for my tastes. My wife and I were listening to a Corrs DVD-Audio at a BOSE store in the mall near our place and despite the "ideal" listening conditions (lots of sound dappening, ideal speaker locations, non-square/cube room, etc.) the $3500+ system didn't sound as good as what we have now in our family room. I'm sure that most speakers like JBL, Polk Audio, etc. will produce better sound than the BOSE systems and you'll be able to save yourself some money.
For some though, wanting to keep the speakers hidden is worth the money and for those, BOSE does an excellent job of making small satellite speakers. I'm not sure exactly how much that is worth, but, to me personally, I have no problem with seeing the speakers. I'm using bookshelf speakers for the fronts and rears (the rears are slightly smaller) and they're pretty and do not take up loads of room. What you require will largely depend on many of these factors and it is important to come out with a good balance of price, performance, aesthetics and design. Aside from listening to forums, it is good to hear the systems in person. Take a good CD with you (one that you are familiar with) and listen to it at different stores using different receivers and speakers. That should help narrow down your choices. Good luck!

cgk

cgk

Junior Audioholic
Bose and its brand power

Yesterday at lunch, where I was eating with a group of highly educated and wealthy professionals, I mentioned to one of my friends who seems into electronics that I was upgrading my system to surround sound.

Everyone at the table nodded and with great wisdom proclaimed that the most important factor was the speakers. Great, I thought, I should get some good advice here. Then three of these people asked me if I was going to get Bose. All smiled and nodded and said if I wanted the best it had to be Bose.

Wow, what a powerful brand!

The speakers keep getting so small - I'm waiting for them to announce 1/2" cubes with a paper cone subwoofer that has six 2" drivers.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
It's all advertising

cgk said:
Yesterday at lunch, where I was eating with a group of highly educated and wealthy professionals, I mentioned to one of my friends who seems into electronics that I was upgrading my system to surround sound.

Everyone at the table nodded and with great wisdom proclaimed that the most important factor was the speakers. Great, I thought, I should get some good advice here. Then three of these people asked me if I was going to get Bose. All smiled and nodded and said if I wanted the best it had to be Bose.

Wow, what a powerful brand!
You hate to put people in an awkward place by asking them "now why do you think Bose would be a good choice?" We can all thank Bose for driving up the cost of speakers. Thank heavens for companies like KLH to go neck and neck with Bose at Best Buy so people can actually compare the two. I take that back. You cannot compare the two, because Bose has to separate themselves from the pack. They are in a different isle, no where near the demo room. Wonder why? My sister's father in law who is a retired business owner (very wealthy from Chicago) bought them a Wave Radio. It was the most god awful sounding radio I've heard in a long time. I commented to her about the sound, and asked her why she would spend so much on a clock (not knowing it was a gift). She agreed and said it was a housewarming gift -what can she do? The marketing deptartment at Bose is very similar to that group of educated Starbucks sipping friends of yours. They haven't a clue about sound, but have a wonderful education about marketing, and can appreciate the time and effort what a good marketing campaign can do for an absolutely useless product. Mule - no pun intended on your 901's.

ducker

ducker

Full Audioholic
Ah... those links rule... I should keep them and set them aside for anyone that speaks highly of Bose... After I got my whole athena setup I was all excited to let people know what I have. Of course no one has heard of Athena. If I mention API (Audio Products International) or Energy/Mirage... those that have a clue have heard of them.

At this time they often say something like... oh well we have a nice Bose System. only 2 speaks and a sub now, the rears aren't Bose, but we'll get those as soon as we can!!!

It pains me SO SO MUCH!!! I'm just afraid of how bad that link would crush them!

The speakers keep getting so small - I'm waiting for them to announce 1/2" cubes with a paper cone subwoofer that has six 2" drivers.
Clint, that's a Bass module. Not a subwoofer. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis