Bose 301`s What Phase

Scooter1960

Scooter1960

Audiophyte
Hey, Guys, I was given an older pair of Bose 301`s And want to use them in a second room. But they need a little work. In trying to get information and a Manual Online, They always quote the Phase #. ex: Phase 3, etc.
I have seen other Bose speakers identified this way before and just assuming it is their age, where the design has changed with time? Anybody know how to find out what phase a specific model, serial number, a set of 301`s are?
Thanks in advance
Scott

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What work do the speakers need? Replacing surrounds or ?

Scooter1960

Scooter1960

Audiophyte
What work do the speakers need? Replacing surrounds or ?
No, they are just going to be a set of speakers to listen to and use for testing components while in my apartment extra room work shop. I have a couple of work benches and a desk set up in their where I repair the odd amp, have built a couple and just basically a messing about with stuff room.
I have, Energy Encores for fronts, Fluance for rears and Cerwin Vega for a center channel, no sub as down stairs neighbors dont like them, in my Living room all running through a Yamaha AV V561 Receiver.
The Bose 301`s were basically free. One cone is pushed in and they need a really good cleaning.
The one cone I am just going to try and suck it out with a paper tube or when I get a better look maybe a finger in the rear if they can be accessed. Right now I just want get a manual and see what they are about.
Thanks
Scott

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No, they are just going to be a set of speakers to listen to and use for testing components while in my apartment extra room work shop. I have a couple of work benches and a desk set up in their where I repair the odd amp, have built a couple and just basically a messing about with stuff room.
I have, Energy Encores for fronts, Fluance for rears and Cerwin Vega for a center channel, no sub as down stairs neighbors dont like them, in my Living room all running through a Yamaha AV V561 Receiver.
The Bose 301`s were basically free. One cone is pushed in and they need a really good cleaning.
The one cone I am just going to try and suck it out with a paper tube or when I get a better look maybe a finger in the rear if they can be accessed. Right now I just want get a manual and see what they are about.
Thanks
Scott

Just a pushed in dust cap isn't so bad :) Doubt the Bose manual has much actual info....at least the series III manual has minimal info, just the recommended position to do the "direct/reflecting" thing...and a little bit of cleaning advise :)

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
Back in the 1970's our store's Service Department used 301's as test speakers. They work fine in this application, but offer limited Very High Frequency response. They are also not particularly detailed, but offer a pleasant, inoffensive overall presentation with a somewhat emphasized low to high tilt (down-tilt L to H if looking at a frequency response graph). We had them mounted on their side, tweeters to the inside.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Normally I'd say phase them out of your system, but given that they're free and you have a use for them, why not?

Scooter1960

Scooter1960

Audiophyte
Ha, Thant's great! Bet couldn't help yourself there Pogre.. I like it, however I have them up and running now and in this room I am using them in (Isn`t my main room just a little hobby type shop room) they sound pretty good and the more I play with them in the corners of the room which is about 15 x 12 ft. I find the sound really changes drastically with just incremental changes in angles and direction of the adjustable paddle type deflectors.
Thanks for the Ebay Links! I looked a t least 30 different offerings, and I think I have series 3 but some of the ones marked series 3 have the two tweeters on those 90 degree brackets. The speakers I have do not have that, mine have a single tweeter flush mounted on that 45 degree surface and a port about 3 inches in diameter directly to the right of that tweeter. Also mine have the adjusting knob on the side of the speakers that control a deflecting paddle type device. So very adjust adjustable. Between turning these directing knobs and positioning the speakers them self's. I can come up a really nice natural sound. The speakers almost dont seem to be there. Like I mean where the sound is coming from is all over making the speakers invisible to the ear. Hope you guys get what I mean. I was just hoping there would be a table like identifying vintage motorcycles where by comparing the serial number to a chart, you could identify them. So I have down loaded the user and maintenance manual for the 301`s series three and the pics do show the ones that are not mine?? Oh well they are working and I think these manuals provide plenty of info about care and STUFF!
Again Guys Thankyou very much !

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
301 should be OK for surround duty. I wasn't a fan of them as mains. They throw a big area of sound, but the precision isn't there.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for the Ebay Links! I looked a t least 30 different offerings, and I think I have series 3 but some of the ones marked series 3 have the two tweeters on those 90 degree brackets. The speakers I have do not have that, mine have a single tweeter flush mounted on that 45 degree surface and a port about 3 inches in diameter directly to the right of that tweeter. Also mine have the adjusting knob on the side of the speakers that control a deflecting paddle type device. So very adjust adjustable.
You have the original, which should sound a little better over the others

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
301 should be OK for surround duty. I wasn't a fan of them as mains. They throw a big area of sound, but the precision isn't there.
No real soundstage and imaging with dimension and depth -- however for many, they tend to float their boat. Get some old DCM speakers and one will tell the difference.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis