Bose 108787 spatial receiver

• Thread starter sergio e cuquerella
  • Start date
S

sergio e cuquerella

Audiophyte
I apologize in advance if this is a more electronic question than audio.
Here is my story: I have this receiver with 901 speakers, the receiver is not staying on.
you touch the bose icon and it lights up for half a second and turns off,
i took the cover off and tried to keep it on by prying the relay with my hand, stupid I know.

something was smoking and part of the heat dissipation behind the thing got warm.
it smell like something burned, but not really that much.

Anyways, I took the receiver to an audio store and after a while waiting they came back with this answer.

Channel 1: Outlets transistors shorted.
Channel 2: Output drivers shorted.
All of the Offset Pots bad, need to be replaced.

After a few questions and a lot of attitude from the sale person who did not know a lot of what my questions were about, instead of passing me to a techy he simply hang up leaving a lot of my doubts with no answer. I believe it was this same salesman who tried to up sale me services when I came in with the amp and speakers, calling the 901 speakers a bad buy I should run away from or leave them with them to do the work right (an 8 hours job or so, claiming they are really hard to center when re-foaming needing the dust caps off and shims.) Funny is I happened to check a re-foaming job on youtube and the person online claimed they were not that hard to center by hand so I, been a handy person had already decided to do it myself and bought a fabric kit for this, they are re-foamed now since two days ago and centered them by hand with not much trouble, they are playing beautifully right now with another amp.

Anyways, when I called for complaining, another sales person said the techs will be calling me shortly, instead the a...ole called back with a fake apology and a pseudo explanation I will try to replicate here and see if it makes sense to anyone.

They claim this all happened in a cascade reaction, the pots went open, and they shorted the output transistors, at this point the receiver went into protection mode and it wouldnt turn on, but the drivers can still keep getting hot, hence the drivers went after a while. (or viceversa, as the drivers shorted first and then after protect mode the transistors went.. I cant remember, but I dont even believe he had the story right for certain.)

Now my questions, would make more sense that the drivers gone are the ones in the same channel as the output transistors? Does it makes sense that they need to change all the pots in the front of the receiver, that all of them went bad at the same time? I could been just paranoid but this sounds like a little too much.

They want 360 for the repair, I just don't have than money right now so I want to challenge their diagnose and see if this all stand ground. Or if there is some more critic things and some not so that could be dealt with later. They say no because they are cascade reactions and I need them all to be taken care of.

I just like this receiver a lot and it goes beautifully with the bose 901 and a wooden record player I got with this deal. So I do want to get it fixed. I was thinking maybe to take the amp to another store for diagnose as well and see what they say.

Any advice?
Thanks a lot.

Sergio.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I apologize in advance if this is a more electronic question than audio.
Here is my story: I have this receiver with 901 speakers, the receiver is not staying on.
you touch the bose icon and it lights up for half a second and turns off,
i took the cover off and tried to keep it on by prying the relay with my hand, stupid I know.

something was smoking and part of the heat dissipation behind the thing got warm.
it smell like something burned, but not really that much.

Anyways, I took the receiver to an audio store and after a while waiting they came back with this answer.

Channel 1: Outlets transistors shorted.
Channel 2: Output drivers shorted.
All of the Offset Pots bad, need to be replaced.

After a few questions and a lot of attitude from the sale person who did not know a lot of what my questions were about, instead of passing me to a techy he simply hang up leaving a lot of my doubts with no answer. I believe it was this same salesman who tried to up sale me services when I came in with the amp and speakers, calling the 901 speakers a bad buy I should run away from or leave them with them to do the work right (an 8 hours job or so, claiming they are really hard to center when re-foaming needing the dust caps off and shims.) Funny is I happened to check a re-foaming job on youtube and the person online claimed they were not that hard to center by hand so I, been a handy person had already decided to do it myself and bought a fabric kit for this, they are re-foamed now since two days ago and centered them by hand with not much trouble, they are playing beautifully right now with another amp.

Anyways, when I called for complaining, another sales person said the techs will be calling me shortly, instead the a...ole called back with a fake apology and a pseudo explanation I will try to replicate here and see if it makes sense to anyone.

They claim this all happened in a cascade reaction, the pots went open, and they shorted the output transistors, at this point the receiver went into protection mode and it wouldnt turn on, but the drivers can still keep getting hot, hence the drivers went after a while. (or viceversa, as the drivers shorted first and then after protect mode the transistors went.. I cant remember, but I dont even believe he had the story right for certain.)

Now my questions, would make more sense that the drivers gone are the ones in the same channel as the output transistors? Does it makes sense that they need to change all the pots in the front of the receiver, that all of them went bad at the same time? I could been just paranoid but this sounds like a little too much.

They want 360 for the repair, I just don't have than money right now so I want to challenge their diagnose and see if this all stand ground. Or if there is some more critic things and some not so that could be dealt with later. They say no because they are cascade reactions and I need them all to be taken care of.

I just like this receiver a lot and it goes beautifully with the bose 901 and a wooden record player I got with this deal. So I do want to get it fixed. I was thinking maybe to take the amp to another store for diagnose as well and see what they say.

Any advice?
Thanks a lot.

Sergio.
I think you largely have yourself to blame for this mess. You defeated the protection. I would bet you had one or two shorted output transistors to start with which sent it into protection. Output transistors almost always fail in short mode. The you held the relay and put enough current to heat up the heat sinks, and smoked the unit (always a very bad sign). This large current flow has taken out the driver stage and fried the trim pots.

I would expect very major damage doing what you did. I bet when they really get into it, they will find a bunch of fried diodes in the driver stage also. In my experience when the drivers are out, the damage does not end there.

For all the damage done, I would say the bill is reasonable.

However this unit has now suffered severe abuse, and you may have further knock on problems after the repair.

I think you can make a very good case for sending this unit to the recycling center and not repairing it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis