D

dana

Audiophyte
which speakers. i am looking at b & w 685 s2 and the definitive technology studio monitor 65. mostly listen to music. have denon avr s900w reciever

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
In what price range? With or without sub? Have you listened to the 685s or the Def Techs?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Both are quality speakers and both have many proponents but asking us which is better is like asking us if blondes or brunettes are better.

Offhand, without factoring in a sub. I'd most likely lean towards the B&W* but, hey, what do I know.

Now if you're gonna add a sub then all bets are off.

* I tend to like 6 1/2" two way systems.

D

dana

Audiophyte
i have listend to both but never at same time to directly compare. i am not sure if i will get a sub. the ones i listened to did not have a sub

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I am going to guess your budget is under $700? Are you locked into buying at best buy or anything like that? Will you need a center in the future? is this for music and movies or just music or just tv????

For around the same cost I would go with these on sale...
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=9SRM1NT2BS&Category_Code=BSTOCK

but these IMO would outperform what you listed for even less money..
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-57507-epos-epic-2-bookshelf-speakers-pr.aspx?source=igodigital&

check out music directs other sales, wharfedale dentons for $500, focal chorus series for under $600, there are tons of good books out there right now for great prices...

D

dana

Audiophyte
mostly listen to music. budget around 700, can get the definitives for that budget, and the 685 retail for that

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
i have listend to both but never at same time to directly compare. i am not sure if i will get a sub. the ones i listened to did not have a sub
Did you have a preference for one or the other? I'm not a fan of Def Tech, but these speakers aren't for me. Of the two you listed, I'd opt for the B&Ws. I'd strongly look at those speakers recommended by ImcLoud; both are going to be very good for music in your price range.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
which speakers. i am looking at b & w 685 s2 and the definitive technology studio monitor 65. mostly listen to music.
If I had to choose between the 2, then it would be Definitive.

However, there are other options - your call.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Imc suggestion are very solid, but these will outperform everything mentioned above. sorry
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=130141.0 (well Sierra-1 will come very close, but Jim Salk's monitors have much nicer finish imo)
Them are used, that is cheating... I don't think the wow 1's are show stoppers by any means, plus they have no grilles {thats a deal breaker for most looking for a pair of speakers not monitors}, and msrp is like $1100 for the wows and I would still take a set of ascend sierra 1's over them at the same price... The sierras have a really nice finish, the se's series not so much but all of my sierras have fantastic fit and finish....

If I were the OP, I would sell his avr {since it is for music}...
and get
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marsr4023/marantz-sr4023-80w-x-2ch-bose-901-compatibe-stereo-receiver/1.html
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-107091-wharfedale-denton-limited-edition-80th-anniversary-bookshelf-speakers-pr.aspx

I own both of them components and they sound good, I now use a luxman to power my dentons, but they have a GREAT sound...

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Cheating? Maybe a bit, but i wouldn't you piss on salks. At ah gtg2012 i heard many solid speakers in relatively short time frame, yet Salk, specifically Soundscape 8 completely, totally and shamelessly stole the show. I also heard few other Salks which Jim brought in and while they weren't as good as Ss8, still sounded terrific
Then speakers looks as good as wow, one doesn't have nor shouldn't to hide it behind cloth screen.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think B&W brand will have more prestige, but Def Tech may sound better.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Cheating? Maybe a bit, but i wouldn't you piss on salks. At ah gtg2012 i heard many solid speakers in relatively short time frame, yet Salk, specifically Soundscape 8 completely, totally and shamelessly stole the show. I also heard few other Salks which Jim brought in and while they weren't as good as Ss8, still sounded terrific
Then speakers looks as good as wow, one doesn't have nor shouldn't to hide it behind cloth screen.
I imagine the "piss on Salk" comment is a type'o, otherwise I am confused..

I heard the scape 8's and sure they are amazing, a bit under $10K BUT amazing.. I have brought them up to a few people looking to spend that kind of money.. I think they are the best buy in expensive speakers, I am actually throwing the idea of buying a pair for myself, BUT under that price I like ascend better, the songs are nice but I like the sierra towers better, the wows I haven't seriously considered for anything because I like grills, I don't care how nice a speaker looks, there is a reason 99.9% of them come with grills...

Its tough for me to recommend used speakers to someone that i don't know the seller of, sure when they are in the AH classifieds and the seller has some history here, I don't mind, but I will take b stock over used private sales any day...

I do not in anyway think that the wows smoke the sierra 1's, epics, dentons, ect..... I would put them in the same class as the dentons, sierras, ect, BUT then again them come with grills, lol...

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I like them grillz and I can not lie . Like I said i can see Sierra 1 quite close to wow monitor. I said nothing about smoking.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis